Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

First Track Day - What you NEED to know!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Nice job. I roadraced motorcycles for awhile, worked in a shop building race engines and bikes for a few years, so I must be the odd ball out because my ego isn't so big that I need to glorify my weekend with comparing lap times with anyone.

You can't learn crap from a video game except which way the track goes. Please leave the discussion, it's pretty clear you're here to crap on the thread and you're failing reading comprehension 101 with your baseless assertions.
Old 06-22-09, 07:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
You must be the odd ball out b/c EVERYONE wants to know the laptime whether they drive a bone stock with all season tires or fully prepped car with slicks, HPDE or not. You can learn about how to drive your F while that dude sitting to your right can move his thumb everytime you go through start/finish. It's not that hard.

So you knew you were hitting 117 out of turn 9 and the other dude in prepped E36 were hitting 112 at the same turn yet you don't know your laptime? Yeah ok I believe that....
^^ WoW.. Ok....

Nice work Lance, glad you enjoyed the Track day with the F!!!

Since I can't stand the OEM suspension on my daily driven roads, how did it perform for you on the Track??

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-22-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 07:47 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must be the odd ball out b/c EVERYONE wants to know the laptime whether they drive a bone stock with all season tires or fully prepped car with slicks, HPDE or not. You can learn about how to drive your F while that dude sitting to your right can move his thumb everytime you go through start/finish. It's not that hard.

So you knew you were hitting 117 out of turn 9 and the other dude in prepped E36 were hitting 112 at the same turn yet you don't know your laptime? Yeah ok I believe that....
I have to agree with lobux on this one. Lap time doesn't really matter. Just tracking the car and driving it to the max is what matters. Lets face it, if anyone really cared about lap times or racing, they would not be driving a stock ISF, M3, AMG etc... These cars are amazing b/c they can be super fun and effective on the track and be docile on the street. But by no means are they ideal track cars when stock.

Nice write up lobux...and CircuitMS
Old 06-22-09, 07:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Joe Z
...Since I can't stand the OEM suspension on my daily driven roads, how did it perform for you on the Track??

Joe Z
Far better than I ever imagined. The car felt very stable and very solid. My instructor commented on how good the car felt and especially how good the brakes are. It didn't bauble over bumps, it was very predictable, and at speed the suspension does a LOT better than many cars I've driven. I'm still surprised at how well it worked for a completely stock setup.
Old 06-22-09, 07:53 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell "you drove it to the max" without knowing laptimes? That's minimum you need to know

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I have to agree with lobux on this one. Lap time doesn't really matter. Just tracking the car and driving it to the max is what matters. Lets face it, if anyone really cared about lap times or racing, they would not be driving a stock ISF, M3, AMG etc... These cars are amazing b/c they can be super fun and effective on the track and be docile on the street. But by no means are they ideal track cars when stock.

Nice write up lobux...and CircuitMS
Old 06-22-09, 07:55 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Nice write up. I've ridden CMP on a bike years back before they added the new configuration. Turn 10 is most definitely a turn. Its the fastest turn on that track. On a bike you are flying through there leaned way the F over. Straighten up in time for some hard braking. The bump in the apex sucks. All the sand at that track sucks. Sounds like you had a blast though!
Old 06-22-09, 08:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

How can you tell "you drove it to the max" without knowing laptimes? That's minimum you need to know
How? Are you saying we're all as good as Schumacher or Button, we just don't have the right car? Get real. The nut behind the wheel is the limiting factor and we all know it. "Drive it to the max"? Yeah, my personal max. As fast as I am comfortable going. Did the guy in the GTR "drive it to the max"? Probably not since I was not losing ground to him. Does it make me a better driver? No, there were LOTS of drivers at the track far better than I am. It just means when I was behind him he wasn't leaving me behind so obviously we're at similar levels of learning how to work with our cars.

I've raced enough to know lap times are important in competition. I've driven enough to know I don't need a watch to tell me when I'm going fast and smooth and when I'm NOT going fast and smooth. I had three goals for the weekend:

1. Drive home in my own car with no damage.
2. Learn how to use the this car to get around the track without drama, and without endangering others.
3. Have fun.

None of those goals included anything related to timing. Not one. I couldn't have cared if I was the fastest guy or the slowest guy. It makes NO difference to me because I wanted to improve MY skills. Not compare my skills or my car to others. So, I really couldn't have cared less what my lap times were. It doesn't matter. I achieved all three of my goals. As I said before - if I wanted to race (again) I'd buy a racecar or a Radical SR3, not a nose heavy, overweight, four door sedan. Anyone buying this car for a "track day" car is missing the point. It's fun to drive on the track. It feels solid and responsive, it brakes well, and with the VSC off, it does it without complaining. It's not a car you buy because it's going to set the world on fire with it's amazing lap times. I'm old enough to know this, accept this, and enjoy the car for what it is, not what it isn't.

Back to our regularly scheduled program without all the adolescent testosterone commentary.
Old 06-22-09, 08:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by BB/F
Nice write up. I've ridden CMP on a bike years back before they added the new configuration. Turn 10 is most definitely a turn. Its the fastest turn on that track. On a bike you are flying through there leaned way the F over. Straighten up in time for some hard braking. The bump in the apex sucks. All the sand at that track sucks. Sounds like you had a blast though!
They've planted grass everywhere, and the sand isn't nearly as bad. Everyone there told me how bad it used to be. It's vastly better now. I did get some sand inside the car, but not too much before I moved and got on a grassy spot with no sand issues at all.

Yeah the bump upsets a lot of cars. I was surprised at how little the F complained about it, and my instructor said his track modded 350Z could not get through 10 as fast as the F did stock because of the bump.
Old 06-22-09, 08:36 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

None of those three goals are mutually exclusive with having or not having laptimes. But, you don't have to be such a drama queen about the fact that you didn't click your stopwatch. You don't have the laptime number, you don't have it. That's all.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had three goals for the weekend:

1. Drive home in my own car with no damage.
2. Learn how to use the this car to get around the track without drama, and without endangering others.
3. Have fun.

None of those goals included anything related to timing. Not one.
Old 06-22-09, 08:36 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by malujerry
where are tracks and 1/4 strips in ny or nj area?
NJMP.COM It's the closest you can get. also, Atcoraceway.com and google Englishtown raceway.
Old 06-22-09, 08:42 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

None of those three goals are mutually exclusive with having or not having laptimes. But, you don't have to be such a drama queen about the fact that you didn't click your stopwatch. You don't have the laptime number, you don't have it. That's all.
Actually you are acting like a drama queen about laptimes. Are you aware some track events will kick you out if you time yourself or "race" others?

Did Lance say his objective was to "go faster"? No he said he was learning his IS-F. What if he never goes back to this track? Then lap times would be pretty meaningless. I guess I am an oddball too.

Now, since you asked about laptimes and Lance stated he didn't, lets move on.

Lance looks like so much fun, thank for the valuable info!! Can't wait for more pics.
Old 06-22-09, 09:02 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
NJMP.COM It's the closest you can get. also, Atcoraceway.com and google Englishtown raceway.
awesome, for a second there i thought this thread was gonna be tossed into the "useless" pile for about timings, which ironically is a waste of time
Old 06-22-09, 10:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Try here to find a track near you. To find events at tracks, try here.

BTW, it goes without saying you'll either need to buy a helmet or some clubs will rent you a helmet. Either way, you've got to cover your head. If you buy a helmet, be sure it meets Snell SA 2005. No club will complain about an SA helmet. Many will NOT let you run with a motorcycle helmet.
Old 06-22-09, 10:33 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Try here to find a track near you. To find events at tracks, try here.

BTW, it goes without saying you'll either need to buy a helmet or some clubs will rent you a helmet. Either way, you've got to cover your head. If you buy a helmet, be sure it meets Snell SA 2005. No club will complain about an SA helmet. Many will NOT let you run with a motorcycle helmet.
thanks, i was actually thinking of using my motorcycle helmet

what are the typical costs/dues i should expect for a day pass/use? (i already see some on their websites, but i just wanted to confirm before calling tomorrow)

i'm looking for road course as a muffled street car right?

Last edited by malujerry; 06-22-09 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...Lance looks like so much fun, thank for the valuable info!! Can't wait for more pics.
More pics are here. HUGE thanks to DaveGS4 for shooting pics, inviting us, and being an incredibly gracious and hospitable host (and Krista, our hostess) for the weekend.

One of my favorites, working hard in turn 2:

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-10-15 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: First Track Day - What you NEED to know!