Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Took My IS 350 to Autocross Last Weekend! (new link)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 10:50 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took My IS 350 to Autocross Last Weekend! (new link)

I finally learned how to post pics properly!!!
I took my IS to its first Autocross w/ BMW CCA this past weekend. I did not turn off VDIM, so the car wasn't brought up to its full potential. But I had fun and will definitely bring it back for more!!
By the way, some guy brought his brand new GS 450h there also!! But I forgot to take pics of his car.

here are some pics
In case you don't see the pics OR want to see MORE pics, go to my yahoo photos:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chubby.../ph//my_photos

Last edited by chubbymike; 06-13-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-12-06, 11:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

All I see is boxes with a red X
Old 06-12-06, 11:45 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

i see the pics... how was it mike?
Old 06-13-06, 12:06 AM
LaRock
Rookie

I see no pictures.
Old 06-13-06, 12:25 AM
chubbymike
Driver

sorry people, I hope the pics are fixed. I followed the directions from the photoshop forum and it works on my computer and David's (IMAPUTZ). So I'm not sure why some of you got red Xs. I also put a link to my yahoo photos with more pics.

Originally Posted by imaputz
i see the pics... how was it mike?
And David, it was Awesome!! you should definitely come...but the downside is that you have to join the BMW club to participate. $40/ year membership + $50 for the autocross. but it's great to really get to "know" your car and see what it can do in a safe environment, other than taking it to the track.
Old 06-13-06, 06:22 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i see are pictures of random parked cars?
Old 06-13-06, 07:09 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Damn the IS has LOTS of body roll on a few pics. Not good..
Old 06-13-06, 11:50 AM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas

Yeah, it does. Plus it's a heavy car. I think the IS is about 3500+ lbs? My friend told me that he saw some understeer in some long corners. it could be the tire pressure (F 39, R 40lbs) or just my driving :P I'm still experimenting w/ tire pressure and learning to drive better. but bottom line is that I had fun.

I decided not to turn off VDIM and thought that if I turned off traction control it would be good enough. but I guess the traction control turns itself back on if VDIM senses loss of traction??? I just know that by the time I'm done, the trac. off light is gone. I knew VDIM was working b/c there were moments where I stepped hard on the gas and nothing...until the VDIM deemed the car was ok to do so.
I think next time I'll try and see what the car's like w VDIM turned off....

sorry again for the pics problems.
I tried again today to fix the pics. I think it's working now. please let me know if you still see red Xs. I'm still learning to post pics in this forum. so be patient w/ me
Old 06-13-06, 11:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Congrats on taking the course!

It looks like it was a lot of fun! :approve:

Now how much of an outsider did you feel in that overwhelming Bimmer presence? Did anyone act like a smartass about your car?
Old 06-13-06, 12:06 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed

Now how much of an outsider did you feel in that overwhelming Bimmer presence? Did anyone act like a smartass about your car?

You know, I did not feel like an outsider at all, because I used to own a BMW and participated in the autocross before. So i know some of the faces already. Also, people are just out there to have fun and drive. no one said anything mean to me. we all had a good time and enjoyed the tire squeaching and tire smokes....even thought most of them are BMWs.

I did get some compliments and looks/smiles from people. I know they're secretly admiring the car from inside but they have too much pride to say it out loud. afterall, this IS a BMW club. ha ha.
I did park next to an E90 330 (the newest one) and people were saying how similar the 2 cars looked. but I told them that the IS still looks better!
Old 06-13-06, 12:18 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

cool in pic 14 of 29 that white subaru in the back was my friend peter...he hasnt shown me any pics yet but he did say that those e30's were whopping alot of the other cars there...
Old 06-13-06, 12:36 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

How were your lap times compared to the BMW's, and do you have the sports package?
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
How were your lap times compared to the BMW's, and do you have the sports package?

My best lap time was 56.01 seconds. there were a total of 6 runs, 2 practice and 4 timed. most of the E46 M3s were running about 52-54 second range. some got down to 51. but again, i think a lot of it is driver skill/ experience. So I think a better driver (and w/ VDIM turned off) could get it down to 52-3 second range.

And yes, mine did have the Sports pkg, but there;s still quite a bit of body roll.
Old 06-13-06, 01:33 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Originally Posted by chubbymike
My best lap time was 56.01 seconds. there were a total of 6 runs, 2 practice and 4 timed. most of the E46 M3s were running about 52-54 second range. some got down to 51. but again, i think a lot of it is driver skill/ experience. So I think a better driver (and w/ VDIM turned off) could get it down to 52-3 second range.

And yes, mine did have the Sports pkg, but there;s still quite a bit of body roll.
Many of those Beemers did not look like daily drivers . How hard would you say you were pushing you 350???? 8, 9, 10/10ths?

I have done several SCCA events in other cars, and they were a blast. You definitely have to push your car to the edge of losing it to get the best time.
Old 06-13-06, 02:51 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Yeah, but if he is able to maxmize grip, then he should be good. However, with VDIM on, he probably won't find out.

Quick Reply: Took My IS 350 to Autocross Last Weekend! (new link)