RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Questions about RC (and maintenance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 03:27 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about RC (and maintenance)

Hi all,

Currently in camp BMW - lease is approaching its end soon (year-ish) and I am thinking for my next car....

Had the pleasure of doing an extended test drive of the RCF and took a small test drive on RC-FSport.

Personally, F is out of budget and .... if I was buying I would go M instead.

But I really like the Fsport and have some questions I am hoping some of you folks can answer?

1) I currently pay $0 to maintain my Car. How much have you guys paid in scheduled maintenance over the 1st year of ownership?

If anyone has the maintenance schedule + associated costs, I would love to see - I did a quick google search but couldn't find much!

2) Is there a significant driving difference between regular and F-Sport? I am interested in things such as steering wheel, seat design, driving feel, etc.

The renders online don't show much difference between the two.

F-Sport gives up leather, which I would love to have. Though the moving gauges are pretty damn cool! . But a big deal for me is that F-Sport gets faux cf trim instead of wood (correct?)

Debating between this car and a 4 series.... the 4 series as I would spec it is more expensive, but would include that free maintenance so .....

Also thinking about a 2 series.... but those are rare cars with little discounts, and even though it would be cheaper than both, I think I would prefer a luxury coupe over a sports coupe.
Old 06-17-15, 03:52 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

My RC F-sport came with free maintenance for 4 year 50k.(I think) So I hope that you should not have to pay for anything out of pocket when it comes to regular maintenance. I came from an Audi, and they were expensive as heck to maintain after the warranty was gone, as well as my car only lasted to get to 135k miles. I was took care of it but I ran into too many problems with it once it hit 100k.

I believe the difference between the RC and the RC F sport would be the aesthetics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-17-15, 09:24 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroG
From Edmonds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/ge...sport-faq.html

What's the Difference Between the RC 350 and RC 350 F Sport?
The F Sport can be identified by the black mesh in the RC's enormous grille and its unique 19-inch F Sport dark-finished alloy wheels. Inside it gets a special sport steering wheel with perforated leather, special silver trim and the option of F-Sport-specific Rioja Red leather.

Mechanically, the F Sport includes Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which automatically adjusts suspension damping at all four wheels based on driving inputs, vehicle body motions and road surface conditions. Lexus says that engaging the car's Sport+ driving mode alters the suspension for even better body control and precise responses based on steering input.

The optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDG) system includes variable steering gear ratios and rear wheel steering. Based on speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the car automatically manages the turning angle of the front and rear wheels. Similar to BMW's four-wheel-steering system, the front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions at lower speeds and in the same direction at higher speeds.

Engine:
There is no difference in the F Sport version's engine. Like the regular RC 350, it has a 3.5-liter V6 that sends 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission. There are paddle shifters for changing gears yourself.

Cost:*
RC 350 starts around $42,000, the RC 350 F Sport around $48,000.

*Poster's editorial - Good luck finding an RC 350 F Sport for less than $50,000.

For more details on what's featured on each, I'd recommend the Lexus site:
http://www.lexus.com/models/RC

Hope this helped.

ZeroG
So F-Sport and regular car will have the same seat design? I am a big fan of the sport seats in my BMW, and I hear that Lexus seats are very comfortable - but I would still want them to hold me in place well.

AVS sounds like something I need to investigate with back to back test drives, but LDG is useless to me and I would never put the car in performance situations where it would benefit from this.

Seems to me that I might like the non-Fsport version more. Leather + wood trim are important to me.

Thank you for the info!

Still looking for information on the maintenance though .
Old 06-18-15, 05:05 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the seats the f sports have a more intricate stitch pattern. As for bolstering, I have driven both, and the f sports are more tightly bolstered some find this to be too tight but if that's what your looking for than it should be perfect. Personally I prefer everything on the f sport and am looking to order a 16 this August.
Old 06-18-15, 05:16 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

here are some pics to show the difference in stitching the playa is an rc the black is an f sport

RC 350

RC 350 F Sport
Old 06-18-15, 06:59 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have an RC with just about all the options (Flaxen interior, shown in the photo above), and much prefer it to the F-Sport for appearance, and if you are as superficial as me, then this is the way to go. As for your other big concern, there is no such thing as "free maintenance." There is a thing called pre-paid maintenance - this is a mandatory option with some manufacturers that they do not separately itemize, but you do pay for it. ("Free maintenance" is a self-contradictory expression, much like "mandatory option.")
Old 06-18-15, 07:20 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have an RC with just about all the options (Flaxen interior, shown in the photo above), and much prefer it to the F-Sport for appearance, and if you are as superficial as me, then this is the way to go. As for your other big concern, there is no such thing as "free maintenance." There is a thing called pre-paid maintenance - this is a mandatory option with some manufacturers that they do not separately itemize, but you do pay for it. ("Free maintenance" is a self-contradictory expression, much like "mandatory option.")
Flaxen and Playa look so similar to me. Playa is a bit lighter and can be had on the F Sport. That is the interior that I have decided to go with. For me the F Sport gauge is a must
Old 06-18-15, 08:20 AM
tfischer

Flaxen and Playa are similar tan interiors. I have seen them both and the playa is much lighter and has a distinctly yellowish cast, and did not seem like a good match to the red, which was the color of the car in which I saw the playa. The flaxen is what is generally described as tan, and goes very well with the red (ask the Ferrari people about that combo). The playa would go well with the darker colors, I would think.
Old 06-18-15, 08:29 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

Flaxen and Playa are similar tan interiors. I have seen them both and the playa is much lighter and has a distinctly yellowish cast, and did not seem like a good match to the red, which was the color of the car in which I saw the playa. The flaxen is what is generally described as tan, and goes very well with the red (ask the Ferrari people about that combo). The playa would go well with the darker colors, I would think.
Yeah I definitely agree, but unfortunately the color I want, USB 2.0, is not available with flaxen as it is only on non f sports in US and that blue is an F Sport exclusive option.
Old 06-18-15, 09:22 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Like mentioned above, "free maintenance" really means that it has already been added to your car's price. It's just a way for BMW to make you feel like you're getting more, but you are paying for it. So if you lease a car and return it before 50K miles, then you're paying for services that you'll never use.

In regards to Lexus maintenance, the first 2 services are included (5K and 10K miles). The 5K is just inspections and tire rotations, while the 10K is oil change, filters change, fluids, inspections, and tire rotations. After that, unless you buy the maintenance plan, you'll be paying out of pocket. But you can skip the ones in-between oil changes (15K, 25K, 35K, 45K) without voiding warranty since they are basically just inspections, so that will save you some money. It's difficult to tell you the cost of the real services (20K, 30K, 40K, 50K) since they have different things being replaced, so prices will vary between $120-400.

Last edited by dchar; 06-18-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 09:26 AM
tfischer

Sig:
That's correct: flaxen is not available with the blue F-Sport exterior, and too bad. If I were getting an RC in the blue, I'd skip the playa and go with the gray interior.
Old 06-18-15, 09:27 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FleeingFox
So F-Sport and regular car will have the same seat design? I am a big fan of the sport seats in my BMW, and I hear that Lexus seats are very comfortable - but I would still want them to hold me in place well...
Which model/year BMW are you coming from? I've had the F-Sport seats (like below) now for 2 months and they hold me in place MUCH better than my brothers E92 as well as his previous E46's. IMO the interior of the new RC is one of its best features. It feels like a cockpit, where everything is wrapped around the driver.

Old 06-18-15, 09:39 AM
SigmonC
Driver School Candidate

Sig:
That's correct: flaxen is not available with the blue F-Sport exterior, and too bad. If I were getting an RC in the blue, I'd skip the playa and go with the gray interior.
Interesting combination. I had not even considered the gray as I was between the red and the playa.
Old 06-18-15, 10:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

maintenance wise theres not much to do to the car. Oil changes, engine/cabin filters for the most part. The filters you can do yourself in 5 minutes.
Old 06-18-15, 11:13 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Like mentioned above, "free maintenance" really means that it has already been added to your car's price. It's just a way for BMW to make you feel like you're getting more, but you are paying for it. So if you lease a car and return it before 50K miles, then you're paying for services that you'll never use.

In regards to Lexus maintenance, the first 2 services are included (5K and 10K miles). The 5K is just inspections and tire rotations, while the 10K is oil change, filters change, fluids, inspections, and tire rotations. After that, unless you buy the maintenance plan, you'll be paying out of pocket. But you can skip the ones in-between oil changes (15K, 25K, 35K, 45K) without voiding warranty since they are basically just inspections, so that will save you some money. It's difficult to tell you the cost of the real services (20K, 30K, 40K, 50K) since they have different things being replaced, so prices will vary between $120-400.
I agree, not such thing as "Free" anything. You're paying for it one way or the other.

No tire rotation of the F-Sport since they have staggered wheels. Have Lexus do the oil changes as it is good for trade in or selling it yourself. Want to save more then do some of the maintenance yourself like changing out the Air Filter and Cabin air filter when it is supposed to be done. Don't worry Lexus will tell you when it's due.

Quick Reply: Questions about RC (and maintenance)