RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Changing Lexus Default Startup Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 02:03 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Changing Lexus Default Startup Screen

I don't know how many of you have a Startup image of the car dealer that sold you the car, but if you would like to change it to something else I've attached the instructions.

I'm talking about when the car starts up and the first image on the NAV screen is a dealer Advert, and then it is followed by the Caution statements. The fist image you can change or delete all together, but the Caution statements can't be changed or deleted, believe me I tried.

If you have any questions just let me know.

The following 3 users liked this post by GearHead69:
JHouston (03-08-22), KJFS (01-20-19), vdeleonjr (09-13-19)
Old 05-27-15, 03:59 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

Awesome and detailed DIY. Thank you!
Old 05-27-15, 05:11 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
Awesome and detailed DIY. Thank you!
Thanks, I figured I couldn't be the only one tired of looking at a commercial every time I started up the car.
Old 05-27-15, 07:01 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is good stuff!
Very helpful.
Thanks!
Old 05-28-15, 07:20 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I've had a startup image in my car for a while, and it's a lot of fun. The book also talks of a "screenoff" image, and I followed those directions pretty carefully, but can't get any image to appear. When I hit the "Start" button to stop the car when parking, the screen just goes to black, as you would expect. Has anybody here been able to get an exit image to appear, and, if so, under what circumstances?
Thanks.
Old 05-28-15, 08:27 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeroG
Thanks for the details on this. I first mentioned my start-up image back in my original thread right after joining the group using this custom creation:

If you'd like to create your own to the specs of your screen,
the dimensions are 800x480.

I've combined this with the start-up sound of the Dolby Digital/THX logo, so when I fire up the car, all 17 speakers makes it feel like a theater on wheels!
I've since supplemented the stock screen with the Galaxy Tab S 8.4" screen... and the difference is phenomenal!

ZeroG
You mention that you've supplemented it with the THX logo sound on startup. Can you set an audio trigger when you start up the car? And how do you change the audio file?
The following users liked this post:
blackbond (12-12-22)
Old 05-28-15, 08:59 PM
Sim
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this
Old 05-29-15, 08:57 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeroG
It's actually a bit of a 'staged hack'. I've encoded all my discs to the DVD-A standard that the Mark Levinson system plays. One of those discs contains all the full fidelity audio signatures you hear in the theater (THX, Dolby Digital, DTS). I simply have that in the player, and when I start up the car, you see the logo on the screen and hear the sound throughout the speakers. Again, its staged to show off to passengers. Sure gets the adrenaline going in the morning!
ahhhhh, gotcha. You're just cheating by the initial start up. I was thinking if there was a possible internal memory that you could maybe record a sound file to. Oh well, dreamers can dream. But still, clever trick. Good job. As a touring audio engineer, I'm always happy to show off any of my gear. I'm just an audio ***** in that sense.
Old 05-29-15, 01:02 PM
Twong13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about your guide. I got to the part where you select the images to copy, i highlight the image, press down on the ****, but i never see "copy" and it never seems to complete. When i go back to the change image screen there are no new ones. Any ideas?
Old 05-30-15, 05:58 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twong13
I have a question about your guide. I got to the part where you select the images to copy, i highlight the image, press down on the ****, but i never see "copy" and it never seems to complete. When i go back to the change image screen there are no new ones. Any ideas?
On page 73 or image 2, did you follow the Information warning about the folder name of Image and it's case sensitive on the USB, and put the files in that folder; file size limit for each; naming character limitation; extension name as it can only be *.jpeg or *.jpg, etc.?

Last edited by GearHead69; 05-30-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-30-15, 05:51 PM
yooin14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I made with photoshop today for the start up image.
Old 05-31-15, 06:15 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-15, 09:30 AM
tfischer

Since I don't have the ML in this car, I just went for a pastoral image with a clearly false and outrageously pretentious message.
Attached Thumbnails Changing Lexus Default Startup Screen-startup-image-w-plaque-v3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Paul Alfre (12-09-21)
Old 06-01-15, 06:13 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
Since I don't have the ML in this car, I just went for a pastoral image with a clearly false and outrageously pretentious message.
Another great example of customization.
Old 06-01-15, 06:40 AM
tfischer

Thanks. The ability to load an image into the car for a startup screen (I have yet to see a shutdown screen) just means more Fun with Photoshop.
By the way, recently when I upload an image it shows up in the post as a thumbnail rather than a full size image like it used to and like most of the others. What am I doing to cause this? My images are deserving of a full size look.

Quick Reply: Changing Lexus Default Startup Screen