RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 01:36 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
GearHead69, thanks! That was very helpful. I hope the dealer will call me back within the next couple days. If not, I will call them. If they have no solution, I will follow the process you have laid out. I think I've concluded I want a new seat and no other solution is going to leave me as a satisfied customer. I just can't image repairing the seat.
You are very welcome. I'd insist on a new seat as who knows how long the repair will hold up.
Old 05-08-15, 04:54 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

After a week and a half, I got the call from my Lexus dealer today and they have been approved to replace the seat back cover and foam on the existing steel frame. Hooray! I take the car back in on 5/18th and they will need a couple days to replace the seat cover. I am ecstatic!
Old 05-08-15, 06:48 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Like a fortune cookie. Patience is a virtue and all good things happen to those who wait. Congratulations!
Old 05-08-15, 09:44 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is good news!
Happy for you Poqman.
Glad to learn that Lexus is upholding the level of craftsmanship we expect.
Old 05-10-15, 05:50 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh...what kind of crap is that?! Are our seats really that poorly made? I had my IS for almost 7 years, and I wore bling butt jeans all the time in it. It never tore or scratched the seat. When I traded in my IS for my RC, my leather still looked like new. Well thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful about letting any bling butts in my car from now on. 😞
Old 05-10-15, 06:05 PM
odist
Rookie

Bling Butts Rule
Old 06-05-15, 12:14 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I got my car back today with the seat cover replaced and it looks great. All is well right? No!

When I got home and read my invoice, it said, "Replaced leather seat back per DSPM. This is for customer satisfaction and is a one time good will gesture". So I thought Lexus had backed the quality of their product. Instead they have stated they did this one time only and will not warrant their NuLuxe Leather again. I have asked the dealership for the specification of the NuLuxe so we can confirm that the original cover was in fact defective, but they said the specification was company propriety and could not be released to me. So they are refusing to prove if the seat cover was defective or not and thus own the issue. Message is clear... if it fails again, don't bring it back as a warranty claim. I can only hope it holds up and I never have to have this issue again. I would not buy another Lexus with Nuluxe again. Buyers beware. I asked if I could keep the old seat cover and was told they were shipping it back to Lexus. So I wonder why they ruled out it was defective???

Last edited by Poqman; 06-05-15 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 06:46 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I got my car back today with the seat cover replaced and it looks great. All is well right? No!

When I got home and read my invoice, it said, "Replaced leather seat back per DSPM. This is for customer satisfaction and is a one time good will gesture". So I thought Lexus had backed the quality of their product. Instead they have stated they did this one time only and will not warrant their NuLuxe Leather again. I have asked the dealership for the specification of the NuLuxe so we can confirm that the original cover was in fact defective, but they said the specification was company propriety and could not be released to me. So they are refusing to prove if the seat cover was defective or not and thus own the issue. Message is clear... if it fails again, don't bring it back as a warranty claim. I can only hope it holds up and I never have to have this issue again. I would not buy another Lexus with Nuluxe again. Buyers beware. I asked if I could keep the old seat cover and was told they were shipping it back to Lexus. So I wonder why they ruled out it was defective???
If it happens again, maybe try a different dealer. I don't think you'll have anymore problems though. Many loaners at my dealer have NuLuxe (these cars aren't usually cared for very well) and it seems to be holding up well.
Old 06-06-15, 09:26 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully it was a fluke, and there won't be a next time. If there is, agree with going to another dealer. I would also blast them with the truth when or if you get a survey.
Old 12-12-15, 07:10 PM
RoninAMG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had this exact problem with mine. I meant to take pictures before Lexus took possession of it. But I have the Black exterior with the silver F-Sport interior and my tear looked nearly identical to the picture posted. My service advisor is a good guy to work with but I knew this would be beyond his call so I basically printed all 3 pages of this thread and handed to him as I knew the Lexus rep was going to be there on Friday which was a few days after I dropped it off. I get a call Friday afternoon and not the least bit of push back on getting this approved. Matter of fact, the Lexus rep had mentioned that this is a known issue. So my rebuttal is...... What's Lexus going to do to fix this issue not just mask the issue by replacing the cover? I'm hoping to get an answer on this when I pick it up next week. These forums are so important to keeping us informed on what's going on with our Whips and what we can do to get this fixed if Lexus tries to play hardball. I've had 3 different Lexus's in the past all under the B2B warranty and I never had an issue with them. I had a GS with some paint peeling on a few wheels and they replaced all 4 wheels at no cost. I can say I've been very happy with their customer service and will continue to remain a customer so long as this sort of Customer Service continues. Thanks...
Old 12-13-15, 05:40 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I'm sorry it happened to you, but glad it wasn't just me. I'm careful getting in and out and don't understand why this happened. I have a friend with a Corvette and the bolsters on his car rotate towards the door when the key turns off so it's not an obstacle getting in or out. That looks like a solution. I have programmed the third seat position to lean the seat back and retract for exiting the car. Position 1 returns it for driving. I would love this to be automatic. Crazy that this is a feature on my 2012 RX350 and not the RC.
Old 12-13-15, 07:01 PM
RoninAMG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine that the seats not retracting towards the rear when you turn the ignition off is a safety issue so it doesn't crush the knees of any passengers that were unlucky to sit in the rear to begin with. On my E63 AMG with Active Seating the bolsters would inflate and deflate based on the way the vehicle was turning to keep you in place. One of my favorite features I'd love to see on the RC. I can see a feature similar to the Corvettes where the bolster expands outward to decrease stress on them getting out and in. Perhaps for 2017???
Old 05-11-16, 02:02 PM
RCtoy321
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well chalk me up to the group with a bad seat. Have to meet with the district manager tomorrow tomorrow. Only 9000 miles and already coming apart.

<br >
Old 05-11-16, 02:56 PM
JohnnyL102
Driver School Candidate

I had 5 BMW's from 2000 to 2013. 4 of the 5 had fake leather seats and all 4 started cracking at about 20,000 milles. It was a pretty common problem. Dumb thing was they kept using the same material year after year after year. Always fixed it no questions asked though.
I hope this is a isolated incident though and they stand by there reputation for you.
Old 05-11-16, 05:41 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCtoy321
Well chalk me up to the group with a bad seat. Have to meet with the district manager tomorrow tomorrow. Only 9000 miles and already coming apart.

<br >
After my repair, I had to change the way I get in the car. I make sure I do not touch the bolster getting in. One thing that helped was programming seat position 3 as the seat pushed back and the back pushed back. Then programmed unlocking the car as being equal to seat position 3. So when I get out of the car, I lock it. When I unlock the car, the seat goes all the way back for maximum room getting in and not touching the bolster. It's working for me. Good luck with the district manager.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up