RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 06:41 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

NuLuxe is a name that Lexus uses to describe their version of a synthetic material. My Mercedes has MBTex which is their version and I have to tell you it wears like iron but feels great. Leather unless you take real good care of it looks terrible after a couple of years of use assuming it is a daily driver.

Now I'm not trying to burst your bubble but from what I see in your picture it has to do with the way you get in the car and the location of the spot. It looks like the jeans that you wore one day had some appendage on it that ripped the seat. I have seen the likes of this before on cars similar to ours that have more aggressive side bolsters. Not trying to start an argument this is just an observation. I also own a Corvette and have seen premature wear on others because they do not know how to get in an out of the car. Not saying you don't know but that is a possibility. Sorry JMO
Old 05-01-15, 04:45 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
NuLuxe is a name that Lexus uses to describe their version of a synthetic material. My Mercedes has MBTex which is their version and I have to tell you it wears like iron but feels great. Leather unless you take real good care of it looks terrible after a couple of years of use assuming it is a daily driver.

Now I'm not trying to burst your bubble but from what I see in your picture it has to do with the way you get in the car and the location of the spot. It looks like the jeans that you wore one day had some appendage on it that ripped the seat. I have seen the likes of this before on cars similar to ours that have more aggressive side bolsters. Not trying to start an argument this is just an observation. I also own a Corvette and have seen premature wear on others because they do not know how to get in an out of the car. Not saying you don't know but that is a possibility. Sorry JMO
No problems. My bubble hasn't burst. I had considered your point. My point is the tissue thin thickness of NuLuxe couldn't possibly be expected to withstand normal and customary wear. It looks like a color film sprayed over the foam.
Old 05-01-15, 05:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vxlyf3
So what are the pros and cons of nuluxe? I notice when it sat on it even on a hot day its not hot at all
prefer it to real leather now. Its more grippy, doesnt wrinkle like my 06 IS real leather seats did. My seats still look like new even 1.5 years later
Old 05-01-15, 04:16 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
prefer it to real leather now. Its more grippy, doesnt wrinkle like my 06 IS real leather seats did. My seats still look like new even 1.5 years later
Things really have changed. 30 years ago you would find the fugazi stuff in the economy cars and you'd have to bump up to a luxury car to get leather. Now you can have leather in the economy cars and the fugazi stuff is so good in the luxury cars that it looks new years after use.
Old 05-01-15, 04:48 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is all good info, it will help us all explore just how careful we need to be while entering and exiting. I just pray that it is not as thin and unreliable as the suspicion may depict.
Old 05-02-15, 08:07 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To my knowledge, even on leather equipped cars, the side bolsters are vinyl. Some Mercedes have full leather seats, but most leather seats, with most makes, are just the center perforated part. They call this the "leather seating area".

The author of this threat has the defect on the side bolsters, and although it may have something to do with how he gets in and out of the car, it still shouldn't happen in this short amount of time. In my opinion it should very definitely be covered by the factory warranty, and if it were me, I would gently raise holy hell until it is fixed.
Old 05-02-15, 10:25 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I appreciate all the discussion on this painful-to-me issue. I really am careful with my car and never have anything sticking out of my rear pockets to have done this. The dealer has not called me back with their fix proposal. Does anyone know how this should be repaired so I can take a position with the dealers proposal how to repair? I'm guessing they will want to match the color vinyl, dab it on, match the texture and call it a day. My issue will remain that the original material is tissue thin and won't survive normal wear and tear. Thoughts?
Old 05-02-15, 12:07 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I appreciate all the discussion on this painful-to-me issue. I really am careful with my car and never have anything sticking out of my rear pockets to have done this. The dealer has not called me back with their fix proposal. Does anyone know how this should be repaired so I can take a position with the dealers proposal how to repair? I'm guessing they will want to match the color vinyl, dab it on, match the texture and call it a day. My issue will remain that the original material is tissue thin and won't survive normal wear and tear. Thoughts?
I don't think there's a way to fix it without a noticeable mark of where it was repaired. Also, since they injected the stuffing into the lining, I don't think they could just take off the seat cover and replace it. I agree that your seat looks to be made with defective, thin Nuluxe. Ask them if it's normally that thin and weak. They will probably have to buy a new seat and install it, but it should be covered under warranty.

Dealers sometimes have a new car lying around that they swap parts from. I think they repair whatever is swapped in, use and sell the car as a demo/managers special, or keep it as a loaner (sell used later). Nobody loses and everyone goes home happy. Maybe they'll do this for you?

Last edited by dchar; 05-02-15 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-02-15, 12:35 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Dealers sometimes have a new car lying around that they swap parts from. I think they repair whatever is swapped in, use and sell the car as a demo/managers special, or keep it as a loaner (sell used later). Nobody loses and everyone goes home happy. Maybe they'll do this for you?
Unlikely that they would do this on a car that's already sold. They might do something like this on a new unsold car though. But after its been sold? Not a chance IMHO b/c it makes no business sense.
Old 05-02-15, 02:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Unlikely that they would do this on a car that's already sold. They might do something like this on a new unsold car though. But after its been sold? Not a chance IMHO b/c it makes no business sense.
Well here's an example of someone who got a new bumper and related parts from a new GS350 that the dealer parted out to make the customer happy about the work a body shop they recommended performed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...headaches.html

Maybe they're just too nice in California
Old 05-02-15, 06:42 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Well here's an example of someone who got a new bumper and related parts from a new GS350 that the dealer parted out to make the customer happy about the work a body shop they recommended performed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...headaches.html

Maybe they're just too nice in California
That's a rare exception. The OP went through a nightmare so the dealership wanted to keep a lid on things. This is not a common occurrence at all.

I feel bad for the poor guy who bought the new GS350 that had its bumper stripped off to appease another customer. He'll never know that his new car had a non-factory painted replacement bumper on it. Only in america.
Old 05-02-15, 11:42 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheBatman
That's a rare exception. The OP went through a nightmare so the dealership wanted to keep a lid on things. This is not a common occurrence at all.

I feel bad for the poor guy who bought the new GS350 that had its bumper stripped off to appease another customer. He'll never know that his new car had a non-factory painted replacement bumper on it. Only in america.
I would consider this a nightmare. If they decide to replace the seat, I doubt the parts department has them in stock. The dealer might swap the seat on a new car so customer won't have to wait so long for parts. Idk about other states, but CA Lexus service departments really try to please their customers.

The dealer probably didn't sell the GS350 as new. They probably kept it as a loaner. Many dealers here have GS350 as loaners in addition to the usual CT, IS, ES, RX (350 and 450h).
Old 05-03-15, 06:11 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The seat should be replaced as it is defective, and as I said earlier the OP should call the Lexus customer service number of 1-800-255-3987, and open up a compliant, and get a complaint tracking number. Here is the website: http://www.lexus.com/contact/

Also this is from Club Lexus post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-complain.html

"This is quoted from the Q & A section:

There are a number of things that can be done here.

1. First and foremost, you should let your dealership representative know that you are unsatisfied with poor service that you are given. If you would rather not deal with that representative again, then...

2. Speak to the manager of the dealership. Calmly let the manager know what your situation is and how he/she can set things right. Keep in mind not to direct your anger or frustration at the people who are trying to help you, as it will only make matters worse.

3. Use the Lexus customer satisfaction survey to blast your dealership. These surveys are sent directly from Lexus headquarters, and they are an effective means of expressing your concerns to someone who matters.

4. If all else fails, or should you want to truly express your dissatisfaction, you could call Lexus at 1-800-25-LEXUS and speak to a customer relations representative. Be sure to let them know which dealership you are having problems with and to whom you were speaking with there.

Lexus may be renowned for its excellence in customer satisfaction, but remember that dealerships are in a cutthroat business, and it is sad to say that sometimes the dollar is valued over the customer. "

If the dealer is unresponsive that is the only way to get it corrected. I've done this in the past when the dealer did not want to cooperate, and the call from corporate made the dealer be more receptive and willing to fix the issue.

Sometimes you just have to play hardball to get what you want.
Old 05-03-15, 06:17 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

GearHead69, thanks! That was very helpful. I hope the dealer will call me back within the next couple days. If not, I will call them. If they have no solution, I will follow the process you have laid out. I think I've concluded I want a new seat and no other solution is going to leave me as a satisfied customer. I just can't image repairing the seat.
Old 05-03-15, 06:24 AM
TheBatman
Driver

I would consider this a nightmare. If they decide to replace the seat, I doubt the parts department has them in stock. The dealer might swap the seat on a new car so customer won't have to wait so long for parts. Idk about other states, but CA Lexus service departments really try to please their customers.

The dealer probably didn't sell the GS350 as new. They probably kept it as a loaner. Many dealers here have GS350 as loaners in addition to the usual CT, IS, ES, RX (350 and 450h).
Yes it sucks but its not a nightmare at all. I worked at a car dealership many eons ago and I can assure you that the dealership will do with the car what generates the most profit, period. They're not going to turn a new car into a loaner vehicle just b/c it needed a new bumper. They will only do that if they are short on loaner vehicles and it makes sense to put this GS350 trim and exterior color into their loaner inventory rather than resell it. The whole "oh yeah, no prob we'll just turn it into a loaner vehicle" is all about perception control.

What they will do is conceal the fact that it had its bumper replaced and put it on the lot as new and try to sell it. We had this happen quite a few times with new vehicles that got into fender bender mishaps b/c of new lot guys moving them around on the dealer lot. We resprayed them, put them on the lot, and sold them just like the came from the factory to customers who had no idea. This happens more often than you would think. We didn't magically turn them into loaner vehicles.

My biggest gripe with the thread that you posted is the unsuspecting customer who is now going to buy a car under the belief that its factory painted throughout. If he's lucky all will be ok. If he's unlucky he'll find chipping, peeling, cracking, or clear coat failure.

Last edited by TheBatman; 05-03-15 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up