RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 01:24 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up

My driver seat has already worn through the leather on the left bolster. You can't help but to rub against it getting in the car. It is thinner than paper and not capable of taking normal and customary wear. I only have 2100 miles on the car I took it to the Dealer today and they tried to imply I had damaged the leather and asked if I had purchased the additional warranty on just the leather. I had not, but told them I want them to contact Lexus and ask what the leather thickness should be because I don't believe mine meets thickness specification. This is from a very thin skinned cow

Sure hope they come through and repair this without a lot of hassle.
Old 04-29-15, 03:13 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

That is BS what they are giving you, and should be covered by the existing warranty. Especially during the first year or in your case the first few months. If they continue giving you are hard time call the Lexus Customer Service number for disputes in your Owner's manual and open a case. Believe me that will get it fixed ASAP.
Old 04-29-15, 03:54 PM
Booster
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poqman
My driver seat has already worn through the leather on the left bolster. You can't help but to rub against it getting in the car. It is thinner than paper and not capable of taking normal and customary wear. I only have 2100 miles on the car I took it to the Dealer today and they tried to imply I had damaged the leather and asked if I had purchased the additional warranty on just the leather. I had not, but told them I want them to contact Lexus and ask what the leather thickness should be because I don't believe mine meets thickness specification. This is from a very thin skinned cow
It is not from a cow.

Lexus used NuLuxe material for the seats. They are being called leather but it is not actually leather.

gotta admit, pretty concerning to see that wear in your picture.

good quality leather would never do that at 2100 miles or anywhere close to being that new. I've seen leather in 100K+ mileage cars that still appear brand new.
Old 04-29-15, 04:19 PM
Fsportf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 es300 with 190k miles dont have a scratch on the seats. Thats a bs excuse. They better fix it or give you new seats. Dont give in to their bs
Old 04-29-15, 05:31 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Not surprised. NuLuxe is vinyl. Unlike leather which can "give" and deal with the stresses of weight and heat b/c its natural, vinyl doesn't have anywhere near the same tolerances. Hope this works out for you and they replace it. But this is a great example why its best to spring for the leather interior.
Old 04-29-15, 05:40 PM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Not surprised. NuLuxe is vinyl. Unlike leather which can "give" and deal with the stresses of weight and heat b/c its natural, vinyl doesn't have anywhere near the same tolerances. Hope this works out for you and they replace it. But this is a great example why its best to spring for the leather interior.
what do you mean "spring for the leather interior"?

I thought all the 3rd Gen IS models and the RC models came with Nuluxe with no leather option.
Old 04-29-15, 05:59 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on the RC but on the NX you can get leather on the luxury package but only Nuluxe on the F-Sport variants.
Old 04-29-15, 06:00 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree I got a BS response. I didn't realize that NuLuxe was vinyl. It's paper thin though and I don't see how our cars can wear well over time. I also learned that they stretch this material over an inverted seat form and spray the foam directly on the NuLuxe, then stretch it over the seat. You used to be able to peel a leather seat cover off the foam and stretch a new one over it. I wonder how you replace a panel of NuLuxe if the foam is adhered directly to it??
Old 04-29-15, 10:26 PM
vxlyf3
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what are the pros and cons of nuluxe? I notice when it sat on it even on a hot day its not hot at all
Old 04-30-15, 10:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Booster
what do you mean "spring for the leather interior"?

I thought all the 3rd Gen IS models and the RC models came with Nuluxe with no leather option.
On the 3IS, NuLuxe is standard on both the base and the F Sport, and genuine leather is available through the Luxury Package. I'm not sure about the RC options.

NuLuxe typically wears better than leather, at least in my experience. I have 18 months on my IS NuLuxe seats and they look brand new. It would appear to me that you got some defective material, as it definitely should not do that.
Old 04-30-15, 10:32 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
On the 3IS, NuLuxe is standard on both the base and the F Sport, and genuine leather is available through the Luxury Package. I'm not sure about the RC options.

NuLuxe typically wears better than leather, at least in my experience. I have 18 months on my IS NuLuxe seats and they look brand new. It would appear to me that you got some defective material, as it definitely should not do that.
On the RC it is an option if you order it. Most of the ones that Lexus sent the dealers have the NuLuxe, and none of my friends can tell the difference. I'll let you know today as it is expected to get to over 100 in Phoenix.
Old 04-30-15, 10:56 AM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by GearHead69
On the RC it is an option if you order it. Most of the ones that Lexus sent the dealers have the NuLuxe, and none of my friends can tell the difference. I'll let you know today as it is expected to get to over 100 in Phoenix.
Can you order leather on an FSport. I have zero interest in anything from Lexus unless it's an FSport.
Old 04-30-15, 11:17 AM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes , BS

Originally Posted by Poqman

Sure hope they come through and repair this without a lot of hassle.
I had a 2000 GS and seats on driver side wore poorly. They were replaced without any hassle. My 350RCF sport has nu lux. So far they are wearing well. I do not think leather is an option on the 350rc f. But your dealer has to replace your seat no matter what
Old 04-30-15, 04:47 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Booster
Can you order leather on an FSport. I have zero interest in anything from Lexus unless it's an FSport.
RC350: leather available as part of the Luxury Package
RC350 F-Sport: NuLuxe only
RC-F: Leather is a stand alone option
Old 04-30-15, 06:09 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I agree. If NuLuxe was an issue then we would know about it. I think this is an issue with a defective example. NuLuxe is fugazi, but Lexus does it better than anyone else in the business.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Leather Seat Not Holding Up