RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

White was a Bad Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 09:55 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White was a Bad Choice?

I haven't had a white car in probably 12 or more years. The last cars I had were all Graphite/Grey (Infinity Coupe and Honda Accord Coupe). The salesman convinced me to take my RC in White with Red interior and I do love the car, but now that the snow is gone and my car is washed..I'm noticing small marks all over the car. If you try and wipe them with your finger they smudge and I'm thinking they are some sort of tar from the road.

So, I hit the car wash again..and to no avail. The car is 5 months old...and I'm regretting not getting a the car in Nebula or even Black (all the pics of the RC in black really do look amazing). The white is just too dirt-revealing for me (yes I know I'm a self-proclaimed neat-freak and very **** about my car).

Anyone else have this issue with their white cars? How do you get rid of the road tar on a daily basis other than getting it detailed every month? Seems crazy..

Last edited by nylawyer; 04-23-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 09:57 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Snap some pictures and show me this tar. I can probably help you remove that.

Black shows dirt waaaaaaaaaaay easier than white does. Trust me on that.

Do you use a sealant on your car? What kind of detailing have you done to it already?
Old 04-23-15, 10:27 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Snap some pictures and show me this tar. I can probably help you remove that.

Black shows dirt waaaaaaaaaaay easier than white does. Trust me on that.

Do you use a sealant on your car? What kind of detailing have you done to it already?
I haven't detailed at all other than a spray instant detailing product I use after washes. When I got my car I had Xpel Ultimate Film put on the full hood, mirrors and rear bumper. Those are of course, clean. I'll try and snap some pics and get up close.

I read on some other sites to use WD 40 to get this tar off...but the spots are too numerous and all over the car (mostly on lower doors and sides.
Old 04-23-15, 10:44 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had great luck with white cars, certainly easier to care for than black or similar near black colors. A product like Goo Gone could help; you could try on a small area. I'm not sure but clay-barring could be helpful. You probably would want to consult with a professional detailer.
Old 04-23-15, 10:51 AM
allgoodman
Rookie

I haven't had any problems with white cars, as a matter of fact, I am eyeballing the white RC with red interior. Envious, btw.
Old 04-23-15, 11:00 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nylawyer
I haven't detailed at all other than a spray instant detailing product I use after washes. When I got my car I had Xpel Ultimate Film put on the full hood, mirrors and rear bumper. Those are of course, clean. I'll try and snap some pics and get up close.

I read on some other sites to use WD 40 to get this tar off...but the spots are too numerous and all over the car (mostly on lower doors and sides.
Try this before using WD-40 on the paint.

This is what I use to seal my car. Super easy to put on and it stays sealed for about 6 months (I believe). You can use this on the entire exterior of your car. It's amazing
Old 04-23-15, 11:20 AM
HoustonTX
Driver School Candidate

If you're a self proclaimed neat freak, you would absolutely hate a black car, they are dirty five minutes after washing them. I have a white car and I do see the tar spots every once in a while (saw them on my previous silver/grey cars also)....just use a little elbow grease (or solutions others have mentioned) and they will rub off....you would have to clean them off grey/black cars also, you just wouldn't be able to see them as well.

I use nanoskin (instead of clay bar) and it works great....just use enough lube !!

Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-019) AutoScrub Fine Grade Sponge: Automotive Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-019) AutoScrub Fine Grade Sponge: Automotive

Last edited by HoustonTX; 04-23-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 11:29 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a ultra white 3IS and it was definitely easier to maintain than obsidian since it shows everything. I love black on the RC, and this is my second obsidian Lexus. You made a great choice with the white/red combo.
Old 04-23-15, 01:32 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this before using WD-40 on the paint.

This is what I use to seal my car. Super easy to put on and it stays sealed for about 6 months (I believe). You can use this on the entire exterior of your car. It's amazing
If you're going to use a sealing product such as this you should first remove the tar spots.
Old 04-23-15, 02:01 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
If you're going to use a sealing product such as this you should first remove the tar spots.
I didn't mean to imply to use one then the other. I suggested a product to help remove the tar stains, and another product to help prevent them.

If you read the directions on the website it will instruct you to "Make sure your car is clean and free of imperfections before you start. " , so I assumed that was given before using anything on a car.
Old 04-23-15, 05:39 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

Thank you everyone for their input.
Here are pics Hopefully you can see
Attached Thumbnails White was a Bad Choice?-thumb_img_2560_1024.jpg   White was a Bad Choice?-thumb_img_2563_1024.jpg   White was a Bad Choice?-thumb_img_2565_1024.jpg   White was a Bad Choice?-thumb_img_2566_1024.jpg   White was a Bad Choice?-thumb_img_2567_1024.jpg  

Old 04-23-15, 08:36 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

I'd definatly try the CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover to see if it comes off. Then on weekend detail your baby nice and use a sealant and things like this should not stick as easy.
Old 04-23-15, 08:43 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default White was the right choice!

You can never go wrong with a white Lexus. Both of mine are white.
Old 04-24-15, 07:47 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

I'd definatly try the CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover to see if it comes off. Then on weekend detail your baby nice and use a sealant and things like this should not stick as easy.
Honestly, the marks on the car are everywhere..I can't see using something like this all over the car. I'm going to bring it to my detailer.
Anyone have any experience with Opti-Coat Pro?
Old 04-24-15, 08:31 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Honestly, the marks on the car are everywhere..I can't see using something like this all over the car. I'm going to bring it to my detailer.
Anyone have any experience with Opti-Coat Pro?
I'm going to opti coat my car soon. I would recommend it.

Opti coat is also another sealant and will last longer than hydro2, it just takes a lot longer to do.

You can even opti coat over the xpel film! It says on Xpels website that it would not void warranty.

Quick Reply: White was a Bad Choice?