RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

White was a Bad Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 10:13 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with my detailer - the guy that put on the Xpel. He explained the Opti Coat Pro. Doing that will cost around $800-$900, and requires annual maintenance to decontaminate and deep clean the car.

I asked, well, why don't I just bring it in every 6 months (or when needed) for a detailing(clay bar etc) (exterior is $125). Seems more cost efficient. While he said that the Opti-Coat does provide additional protection that I could certainly do the detailing and it would be more cost efficient.

Think that's what I'm going to do..will let you know
Old 04-24-15, 11:00 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Spoke with my detailer - the guy that put on the Xpel. He explained the Opti Coat Pro. Doing that will cost around $800-$900, and requires annual maintenance to decontaminate and deep clean the car.

I asked, well, why don't I just bring it in every 6 months (or when needed) for a detailing(clay bar etc) (exterior is $125). Seems more cost efficient. While he said that the Opti-Coat does provide additional protection that I could certainly do the detailing and it would be more cost efficient.

Think that's what I'm going to do..will let you know
If you want, you can do it yourself. Opti coat or CQuartz UKwill cost around $100.

I personally would do it myself. Save a whole lot of money since you already spent the money on Xpel.

If you are looking for hydrophobic and added protection, then do the glass coating.

If you are looking for an easier way to remove the tar(since you already have xpel), then use the Hydro2. It'l create a hydrophobic bond to your car which will make it easier to remove things.
Old 04-26-15, 09:38 AM
TheBatman
Driver

The pro to white is that it hides swirls well. The cons to white are many. In a lot of ways its almost as hard to keep clean as black. Any specs, chips, etc. show up on a white car when they're hidden away with other colors. Also, dirt tends to stain white cars very easily. Finally, white seems to be a very popular color with women. 9 out of 10 times when I see a white luxury car its a female behind the wheel.
Old 04-26-15, 04:18 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Default White is nice

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
I'm going to opti coat my car soon. I would recommend it.

Opti coat is also another sealant and will last longer than hydro2, it just takes a lot longer to do.

You can even opti coat over the xpel film! It says on Xpels website that it would not void warranty.
I have obsidian, but I love white Obsidian is difficult to keep clean. I had a pebble or something hit my hood the second week I had it. Scratch went into the metal. Sticks out like a sore thumb
Old 04-27-15, 07:39 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Here is a real easy solution for you. First get a small container of mineral spirits. Put some on a micro fiber towel and gently remove the tar. Mineral spirits will not harm the clear coat. After you finish getting all the spots of wash the car using Dawn liquid detergent. That will take off any left behind oils and any old wax. Then dry the car and put on a coat of your favorite wax.

BTW I would not want to leave tar or any other crap on my car no matter what the color is.
Old 05-07-15, 11:44 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Update:

Going to have my car detailed to clean it up and get rid of the tar etc.

Then, I'm adding the Xpel Ultimate to a few more places on the care: rocker panels and behind the rear and front wheels and wheel wells.

Other than that..my guy tells me he would suggest Shine Supply Wet Detailer. Or I may look into the hydro2..

but not sure it can be used on a newly detailed car.
Old 05-08-15, 04:42 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

In the South we love white cars since their interiors don't seem to get as hot when you must park out in the sun. But our asphalt roads start to melt their surface tar in summers, which of course splatters and sprays all over the lower panels of our beautiful white cars.

I had a white RX which had few "tar spray" probs becuz it was higher off the ground than sedans. And the black "band" underneath the doors also hid much of the tar that did land there (I see that the '16 RX will continue that tradition).

Nobody has mentioned bird poop yet...it's the only thing that would leave permanent stain-age on my white RX unless you wiped the poop off ASAP. It didn't leave a black-colored stain, but actually yellow-ish. Sounds super picky but it was real enough that I began carrying a roll of Bounty® to wipe that crap off at least the same day it was pooped. [Are Southern birds more toxic?]

So lesson learned: White may be cooler in the cabin but a heart-breaker if you're a fanatic for clean 'n spot-free cars. (I am...probably the redneck in me; where I grew up folks in the country might live in a Jed Clampett shack with dead washin' machines on the porch but that cherry red Super Sport Chevy parked in the front yard was ALWAYS spotless 'n shiny.).

Solution? I went with Nebula on my ES300h and I'll never go back (gonna get the '16 RX in Nebula too). The dark gray hides the worst of the tar spray which I just save for the detailer to worry about. And no yeller birdpoop stainage!!

p.s. Whatever color the car, I still take immediate detours around any road crews I spot ahead who are laying down new asphalt or slopping liquid tar to patch cracks and potholes. And just to make sure that muck has cured properly I won't drive on those roads for a month. If that's obsessive over-the-top behavior then I thank the members of this forum for letting me expose my crazy. I guess I feel safe typing about it here since I'm probably not alone.
Old 05-08-15, 05:43 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Originally Posted by winsalem
I guess I feel safe typing about it here since I'm probably not alone.
You are not alone...
Old 05-08-15, 06:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a white A5 and I saw those marks as well. Some of it was tar, but if you also use tire shine that black stuff will show up behind your wheels and on your fenders like blood spatter at a crime scene. And just like tar, it will also smudge if you try to wipe it off.
Old 05-09-15, 09:32 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Originally Posted by winsalem
In the South we love white cars since their interiors don't seem to get as hot when you must park out in the sun. But our asphalt roads start to melt their surface tar in summers, which of course splatters and sprays all over the lower panels of our beautiful white cars.

I had a white RX which had few "tar spray" probs becuz it was higher off the ground than sedans. And the black "band" underneath the doors also hid much of the tar that did land there (I see that the '16 RX will continue that tradition).

Nobody has mentioned bird poop yet...it's the only thing that would leave permanent stain-age on my white RX unless you wiped the poop off ASAP. It didn't leave a black-colored stain, but actually yellow-ish. Sounds super picky but it was real enough that I began carrying a roll of Bounty® to wipe that crap off at least the same day it was pooped. [Are Southern birds more toxic?]

So lesson learned: White may be cooler in the cabin but a heart-breaker if you're a fanatic for clean 'n spot-free cars. (I am...probably the redneck in me; where I grew up folks in the country might live in a Jed Clampett shack with dead washin' machines on the porch but that cherry red Super Sport Chevy parked in the front yard was ALWAYS spotless 'n shiny.).

Solution? I went with Nebula on my ES300h and I'll never go back (gonna get the '16 RX in Nebula too). The dark gray hides the worst of the tar spray which I just save for the detailer to worry about. And no yeller birdpoop stainage!!

p.s. Whatever color the car, I still take immediate detours around any road crews I spot ahead who are laying down new asphalt or slopping liquid tar to patch cracks and potholes. And just to make sure that muck has cured properly I won't drive on those roads for a month. If that's obsessive over-the-top behavior then I thank the members of this forum for letting me expose my crazy. I guess I feel safe typing about it here since I'm probably not alone.
Winsalem-

Agreed with everything you said - my last cars were the Nebula (Graphite/Gray) colors. I regret not getting this RC in Nebula.
Old 05-09-15, 05:53 PM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I have white and love it. No issues at all. I'm a perfectionists when it comes to my cars.
Old 05-09-15, 07:01 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a black on black F Sport and when I got it home the 1st day I put a clear polymer coat on her and noticed some bird poop on the moon roof and roof. I immediately called the dealer and told them about it. I have yet to pick up the new plates but when i do they say they will take care of it. This is where I get to see how good the dealer is. Here's hoping.
Old 05-21-15, 09:34 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Update:

Went to my detailer who also had installed the Xpel Ultimate (originally on whole hood/mirrors/bumpers only).

He did a bang up job of beautifying my car with a full detail. I had him add the Xpel on the rocker panels and behind front wheel. Did a great job. You'll see a faint line above the rocker panel (Lower piece of door). This piece was included in the Xpel kit for the rocker.

He says there's no problem doing the Xpel piecemeal like this..as my $ frees up

Attachment 362181

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2608.jpg

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2609.jpg

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2610.jpg

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2611.jpg
Attached Thumbnails White was a Bad Choice?-img_2607.jpg  

Last edited by nylawyer; 05-21-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 09:36 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

last 3 pics.
btw, his shop is like a photo studio: with standing lights all around..to see any imperfections that he can address.

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2612.jpg

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2613.jpg

White was a Bad Choice?-img_2614.jpg