RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 12:19 PM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector

If anyone is using a radar detector with the RC, please post photos of how it was mounted.
Old 03-23-15, 02:26 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I am. I'm using a Blend Mount that mounts on the stem of the rear view mirror with the radar detector hanging below it. The mirror we have is LEX-012. I also incorporated the MirrorTap that powers the radar detector from the diming rear view mirror harness. I can post some pics when I get home tonight. The Blend Mount needed depends on the Radar detector used.

http://www.blendmount.com/lexus-mirror.html
Old 03-23-15, 02:44 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I also incorporated the MirrorTap that powers the radar detector from the diming rear view mirror harness. I can post some pics when I get home tonight.
Can you please post a pic of which wires you tapped so I could use it for installing my dash cam?
Old 03-23-15, 03:16 PM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

I am. I'm using a Blend Mount that mounts on the stem of the rear view mirror with the radar detector hanging below it. The mirror we have is LEX-012. I also incorporated the MirrorTap that powers the radar detector from the diming rear view mirror harness. I can post some pics when I get home tonight. The Blend Mount needed depends on the Radar detector used.

http://www.blendmount.com/lexus-mirror.html
Thanks for the information on Blend Mount. Please post info on the rear view mirror wiring. I've made mirror-tap cable before using a telephone cord and pins from the DB-9/25 connector. Information on the rear view mirror will be useful to the RC community.
Old 03-23-15, 07:19 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Ok, here are the after install pics. You all will have to wait until the AM for me to take everything apart and take the pics of the wiring as the Garage is 90 degrees right now. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector-img_0001.jpg   Radar Detector-img_0002.jpg   Radar Detector-img_0003.jpg  
Old 03-23-15, 09:08 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here are the after install pics. You all will have to wait until the AM for me to take everything apart and take the pics of the wiring as the Garage is 90 degrees right now. Sorry
Hopefully I can make life easy and maybe it's just like this install in a 3IS?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8709757
Old 03-23-15, 09:21 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by elusive
Yes, that is the correct connector and wiring.

Thanks again as I did not want to take everything apart.
Old 03-24-15, 07:47 AM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

Nice setup.

Originally Posted by elusive
Thank you for the link.
Old 03-24-15, 07:53 AM
danh63
Rookie

I was just wondering how I was going to do this with my new RC. Thanks for the links!!
Old 03-24-15, 10:41 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by ztorc
Nice setup.

Thank you for the link.
No problem. I really like this setup as I can still get to my garage door opener button on the mirror, and it allows me better visibility. When I had it mounted to the windshield it was always blocking the cars in the right lane.
Old 03-25-15, 06:40 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I just installed my Valentine 1 into my RC350 using the V-1 "Savvy" device, and it was the easiest install I have ever done. The device plugs into the computer port under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It has two outputs, one for the detector itself, and another for accessories, such as the remote display or the bluetooth module. I just ran the wire up to the windshield and around the edge to the detector location just to the right of the mirror, tucked the wire out of sight and the whole thing was done in 10 minutes. Plus the Savvy reads the speed of my car and mutes all alerts while the car is below a set speed limit. Also, the remote display sits very nicely on the little shelf on the far left side of the dash. Highly recommended.
Old 03-25-15, 08:00 PM
NYCRC
Rookie

Mind posting a picture of your V1 set up. I've been meaning to upgrade my 8 year old V1 for some time now.
Old 03-26-15, 04:45 AM
danh63
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
I just installed my Valentine 1 into my RC350 using the V-1 "Savvy" device, and it was the easiest install I have ever done. The device plugs into the computer port under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It has two outputs, one for the detector itself, and another for accessories, such as the remote display or the bluetooth module. I just ran the wire up to the windshield and around the edge to the detector location just to the right of the mirror, tucked the wire out of sight and the whole thing was done in 10 minutes. Plus the Savvy reads the speed of my car and mutes all alerts while the car is below a set speed limit. Also, the remote display sits very nicely on the little shelf on the far left side of the dash. Highly recommended.
Yes , would be very nice to see the set up if you don't mind
Old 03-26-15, 02:30 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

There is nothing to see. I used the standard V-1 suction cup mount, which I have used in all my cars and which stays put for years at a time, mounted just to the right of the mirror, high up, as recommended. The wire goes around the windshield, tucked into the trim, and gets plugged into the Savvy device under the left of the dash. It's all standard parts, and the whole installation took me about 10 minutes, because I went slow.
Old 03-29-15, 05:30 PM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

I got radar detector installed today...
Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector-img_0147.jpg  

Quick Reply: Radar Detector