RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Paint protection decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 11:20 AM
njlexusguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection decision

I am going to have either Opti-Coat Pro or Xpel installed on my RC. I am leaning towards Opti-Coat. Has anyone done any of these after market coatings or Clear Bra's on their cars? I'd like to hear what your thoughts were and why you decided to do one or the other?
Or if you didn't use either type, have you added any paint protection?
I look forward hearing from you all.
Old 03-11-15, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had expel (clear bra) on quite a few of my old lexus and honestly i don't think i will have them again. they need maintenance as well and my experience is they yellow and get dull over years. some say the latest generation is getting better but personally i am still not fully confidence. and from a plain mirror finish, clear bra is still not as "smooth"

i had glass coating on my nsx, i think it works better. first of all it's for whole car so there are no "lines". it does wear out after 2-3 years in general, but in between you really need minimal maintenance, and they are pretty hard coating so it helps keep the car look good

for both products, imho, if something bad enough hits, it's still going to chip the penal anyway
Old 03-11-15, 03:37 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Xpel on mine and really like it. It has already protected my paint by taking the brunt of many rock hits. Yes, it does require maintenance, but then so does any option we pick.

That is true that if the rock is big enough physics takes over and it will tear the film.
Old 03-11-15, 04:54 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

I have a coating (CQuartz UK) on my car and before that Opti Coat, and it makes a world of difference as far as the paint staying clean and repelling contaminants and ease of maintenance. I definitely believe those are the way to go especially for a brand new car.

A good clear film like Xpel will better help against rock chips - You can do your hood / mirrors / side skirts front bumper (not much to cover with the wide spindle grill). Or the whole car but is very expensive $$. Even clear films though can only protect so much. They still need to be maintained well and some even add a coating over them.
Old 03-11-15, 07:51 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i had expel (clear bra) on quite a few of my old lexus and honestly i don't think i will have them again. they need maintenance as well and my experience is they yellow and get dull over years. some say the latest generation is getting better but personally i am still not fully confidence. and from a plain mirror finish, clear bra is still not as "smooth"
Xpel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty against yellowing, peeling, and cracking. It also self heals minor scratches. It's going to give you better rock chip protection than Opticoat.
Old 03-11-15, 08:28 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was the first RC to get Xpel on their car. I can attest that I think its worth getting it for the front end, side skirts, and the door handles. I mean with a 10 year warranty, I have sound of mind when driving on the highway. I'm getting CQuartz on the rest of the car because the rest won't need the protection level of Xpel.
Old 03-12-15, 07:20 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

These two products are not competitors, and are designed to do different things. It's not a question of one or the other.
In fact, most knowledgeable detailers and car aficionados recommend doing both. My son-in-law just got a new Porsche Panamera (the kids seem to be doing well) and he had both done. I read up on clear films and just had both done to my RC350.
The film protects the front of the car, the fenders, mirrors, etc, from dings caused by flying stones on the highway.
The Opticoat is a longer lasting product much like Zaino, giving the paint a deep shine, and it lasts for years instead of months. If you have it applied by a professional (there is a home version that is not as long lasting at all), throw away your Zaino, just like you threw away your wax (does anybody still use wax?) when you moved to the polymer coating. Opticoat is a silicone coating that is far smoother than anything else on the market.
For the absolute best protection for a new car, getting both Xpel on the front and the mirrors (at least) and Opticoat on top of everything is the way to go for worry-free, very easy car care for years. Highly recommended.
Old 03-14-15, 09:46 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

im in nj and rock chips are a daily nightmare. anyone know places to get this done? i am new to this and dont wanna do it wrong or twice.
Old 03-14-15, 10:45 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd suggest you simply fire up the old computer, look into getting the Shift Key on your keyboard fixed (how did you get that question mark?), and then simply search for authorized Xpel installers. (They have a dealer locator page, just like everybody else: http://locator.xpel.com/.) Or you could call the Xpel hot line and I'm sure they would suggest somebody ((800) 447-9928). Or send them an email at support@xpel.com.
The important thing is that you find an authorized and experienced Xpel installer. I have seen some friends' cars (note the plural possessive) that were done by others ("the dealer took care of it"), and they were awful. Visible lines all over the place, pieces shrinking away from the edges because they were not wrapped around the edge, mirror pieces giving about 75% coverage and not contoured to conform to the shape, etc. (Most probably not Xpel.) I had the hood and fenders of my infrared RC done by a skilled Xpel installer and it's hard to see evidence of the film even when you look for it.
PS: ask about the "luggage ledge" protection: for about $40 bucks (as I recall) they will cover the top flat edge of the back bumper to protect from scratches that happen when luggage and other items drag across it when going into or out of the trunk.
If rock chips are a risk in your driving environment, Xpel is a must, especially on a swell new car like the RC.

Last edited by tfischer; 03-14-15 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Too many mistakes because I used my Apple Watch to dictate it.
Old 03-14-15, 10:57 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the links. i like personal experience over "referred authorized installers" especially if someone here in nj has already done it for "visual inspection"

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'd suggest you simply fire up the old computer, look into getting the Shift Key on your keyboard fixed (how did you get that question mark?), and then simply search for authorized Xpel installers. (They have a dealer locator page, just like everybody else: http://locator.xpel.com/.) Or you could call the Xpel hot line and I'm sure they would suggest somebody ((800) 447-9928). Or send them an email at support@xpel.com.
The important thing is that you find an authorized and experienced Xpel installer. I have seen some friends' cars (note the plural possessive) that were done by others ("the dealer took care of it"), and they were awful. Visible lines all over the place, pieces shrinking away from the edges because they were not wrapped around the edge, mirror pieces giving about 75% coverage and not contoured to conform to the shape, etc. (Most probably not Xpel.) I had the hood and fenders of my infrared RC done by a skilled Xpel installer and it's hard to see evidence of the film even when you look for it.
PS: ask about the "luggage ledge" protection: for about $40 bucks (as I recall) they will cover the top flat edge of the back bumper to protect from scratches that happen when luggage and other items drag across it when going into or out of the trunk.
If rock chips are a risk in your driving environment, Xpel is a must, especially on a swell new car like the RC.
Old 03-17-15, 09:00 AM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

Anyone has experienced with SoCal Xpel installers that can recommend beside going through the list of the Xpel site?
Old 03-17-15, 04:25 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

check this out njguy - pics and all
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...light=nylawyer
Old 03-22-15, 09:50 PM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

I went with nano fusion full front end with life time warranty, and DIY optic-coat the rest.

Last edited by ztorc; 03-23-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 04:21 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the 3M PRO SERIES PAINT PROTECTION FILM kit installed that includes hood, fenders, side mirrors, front bumper and lamp area protection pieces installed. The clarity is great and no noticeable orange peel. I already had 4 or 5 chips in the first 1500 miles so this will be better than more chips. I've had 5 Lexus' and they all chip easily, but this is my first clear bra.
Old 03-23-15, 06:38 AM
Sherwink
Driver

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
I was the first RC to get Xpel on their car. I can attest that I think its worth getting it for the front end, side skirts, and the door handles. I mean with a 10 year warranty, I have sound of mind when driving on the highway. I'm getting CQuartz on the rest of the car because the rest won't need the protection level of Xpel.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay?

Quick Reply: Paint protection decision