RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Hate the Winter!

Old 02-16-15, 05:37 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate the Winter!

This will be the absolutely last time I buy a new car in the winter - unless I move to a warmer climate!

While the RC has been great in the snow, this winter has been unusually brutal here in the North East. The snow, sand and salt has made it almost impossible to keep my car clean for any length of time. I try - with frequent car washes, and taking some mother's products for indoor detailing..but it's inevitable that the next day another snow storm hits and my car looks like $%^#@& again.

What ever happened to global warming?! Bring it on!
Old 02-16-15, 06:23 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree, my RCF only has been driven less than handful of time since I got it in late Nov. My friends started making jokes about the beast being caged in the garage 99% of the time.
Old 02-16-15, 12:18 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

What is this Winter thing you both mention? It has been in the 80's here in Phoenix for the last two weeks. I can only imagine what Summer is going to be like. Good thing I can use the App to remote start the car in the parking garage and cool off the car from my office.
Old 02-16-15, 05:03 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been raining almost every week or every other down here in Houston. I'm not sure I know what why you use salt on your car

/s
Old 02-17-15, 01:11 PM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
It's been raining almost every week or every other down here in Houston. I'm not sure I know what why you use salt on your car

/s
The salt is from the salt spreaders that are applied to melt the snow. We don't put salt on our cars intentionaly. The Winter has been terrible. My car has been filthy scince I took delivery in December despite washing. Can't wait till spring
Old 02-18-15, 09:30 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove from Cincinnati to Chicago in the snow storm on Monday. It was so dirty !! I stopped at

"Strickly By Hand" Car wash Downtown chicago 15$ and it was excellent!! they really take care of the car. but 24hrs its already dirty again.
Old 02-18-15, 01:58 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

Originally Posted by GearHead69
What is this Winter thing you both mention? It has been in the 80's here in Phoenix for the last two weeks. I can only imagine what Summer is going to be like. Good thing I can use the App to remote start the car in the parking garage and cool off the car from my office.
ha! My condolences GearHead! Sounds rough
Old 02-18-15, 02:29 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by nylawyer
ha! My condolences GearHead! Sounds rough
This is the only time we can have a chuckle about the Winter. I've survived the Winter of "78 in NY, and a host of other weather mishaps while I lived in NY. I can understand what you are going though, and remember it will be over soon. Since you get all the road salt it's a good thing to get the underside cleaned off at least once per week as it will start rusting everything under the car.

In the Summer here in Phoenix it can get to be over 115 degrees, and sometimes while driving home I've seen the temp from the car hit 122 degrees from the pavement. The inside car temps get close to 180 degrees w/o shade. Yes, I've seen CD's warp, got burned by the seat belt buckle, and had to use oven mitts to touch the steering wheel if I forget to use the Sun shade.

We value shade so much that in the Summer when you pull into a parking lot you will see cars huddled around a tree trying to get some shade. Home Depot and Lowes opens at 5 AM so we can go out to shop and be back into our AC houses before noon. My garage, only 400 sq. ft. has a 2 ton AC unit that will chill it down to the high 60's even when it is 115 out.

But we in AZ have to remember one thing, "It's a dry heat" , our humidity rarely gets above 30% until it rains then it will hit 80% for about 2 hours after a rain.

So when Summer comes to NY, remember it is your turn to chuckle about what is happening to us in AZ.
Old 02-21-15, 06:36 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

This is the only time we can have a chuckle about the Winter. I've survived the Winter of "78 in NY, and a host of other weather mishaps while I lived in NY. I can understand what you are going though, and remember it will be over soon. Since you get all the road salt it's a good thing to get the underside cleaned off at least once per week as it will start rusting everything under the car.

In the Summer here in Phoenix it can get to be over 115 degrees, and sometimes while driving home I've seen the temp from the car hit 122 degrees from the pavement. The inside car temps get close to 180 degrees w/o shade. Yes, I've seen CD's warp, got burned by the seat belt buckle, and had to use oven mitts to touch the steering wheel if I forget to use the Sun shade.

We value shade so much that in the Summer when you pull into a parking lot you will see cars huddled around a tree trying to get some shade. Home Depot and Lowes opens at 5 AM so we can go out to shop and be back into our AC houses before noon. My garage, only 400 sq. ft. has a 2 ton AC unit that will chill it down to the high 60's even when it is 115 out.

But we in AZ have to remember one thing, "It's a dry heat" , our humidity rarely gets above 30% until it rains then it will hit 80% for about 2 hours after a rain.

So when Summer comes to NY, remember it is your turn to chuckle about what is happening to us in AZ.
I get it GH - thanks for trying to make me feel better. I live in Long Island, which is a suburb of New York about 45 minutes from Manhattan. I'm no more than 10 minutes from the closest beach and even when its 90 degrees out, I'm driving with the windows and moonroof open. Love the heat and summer weather.

Can't wait for a nice day here!
Old 02-21-15, 09:43 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

I get it GH - thanks for trying to make me feel better. I live in Long Island, which is a suburb of New York about 45 minutes from Manhattan. I'm no more than 10 minutes from the closest beach and even when its 90 degrees out, I'm driving with the windows and moonroof open. Love the heat and summer weather.

Can't wait for a nice day here!
Small world as I used to live on Long Island too. Suffolk or Nassau County, north or south shore? Hell, here 90 is spring.
Old 02-28-15, 11:15 PM
MNSC3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Minnesota, salt , salt and more salt used on the roads here. I learned years ago to buy a beater 4wd pickup for the winter and store your nice car. My '98 SC300 has never, ever seen salt. The underbody looks new. Mechanics love working on a car that the bolts aren't rusted on. Why spend the $$ on a beautiful car and then ruin driving it in the winter. Worst thing you can do, IMO

'08 RX 350 Flint Mica/ blk 85,000 miles
'98 SC300 DWP/tan 146,000 miles
Old 03-01-15, 10:19 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I love winter but I'm tired of rain and snow every few days. I've been wanting to test drive an RC for a while now and haven't had the chance due to weather. It's supposed to be nice next weekend so hopefully I can finally check out the RC350/RC-F.
Old 03-02-15, 09:04 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Small world as I used to live on Long Island too. Suffolk or Nassau County, north or south shore? Hell, here 90 is spring.
Nassau County near Rockville Centre.
Old 03-02-15, 10:19 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Nassau County near Rockville Centre.
Suffolk County by Babylon.