RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus allowed my car to be remote-started by someone else; could have killed my fam.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 11:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I've been doing security for more than 35 years. Yeah, if my car had WiFi, I would disable it. If the BT had access to the OBD bus, I'd disable it too. Too much poor coding out in the world, more focused on features and time to market than security.
Old 01-28-15, 11:30 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
Infrared, I agree with you that the root problem is Lexus allowed your VIN # to be hijacked by someone else. There should be fail-safes in place that if a new Enform user tries to register a VIN # that is already registered, then Lexus should question the new user if the VIN was input correct letting the applicant know that the VIN had already been registered. If I was registering a new car, then telling me the VIN was already registered would be a flag to review the VIN I had entered. If it were a used car I was buying, then it is expected that the VIN may have already been registered. So forcing the VIN to be entered twice to assure accuracy may be the simple fix by Lexus.

I hope you get some resolution with Lexus because I'm sure I would not like this happening to me. Best of luck.
In order to avoid this issue again and skip manual, human entry of a VIN
All they would have to do is have one of their CPU Systems Engineers design a very simple program in which the owner must take a picture of the bar-code just under the VIN (usually on the windshield) and the program would then read the bar-code and then assign the appropriate VIN to that individual.

I am an engineer myself and I am sure that Lexus has engineers smarter than I who can come to this same (or similar) solution. Computers do not have minds of their own. They only do what they are told/programmed to do (usually by a human). If we can take the human error out of this registration process (or at least significantly reduce it) then maybe horrible things like this would not happen!!

Last edited by Mehul1456; 01-28-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 04:11 PM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infrared
Beautiful but deadly.

My brand new 2015 Lexus RC350 F-Sport was running this morning in the garage when we came down for breakfast at 630am.

I don't know how long it had been running, but the garage was thick with CO. I immediately opened the garage door, ran over to open the car door and turn it off, but the doors were locked.

I quickly hunted for my key fob and unlocked and shut the car down. I still have a headache even though I was trying not to breathe the fumes.

How could this happen?

have been on the phone with Lexus back and forth today and apparently, someone at Lexus assigned someone else to my car (with my VIN!) via their remote start phone app (Enform) and that party thought they were remote-starting THEIR car when in fact they were starting my car, in my garage.

No one died this time, but I'm not sure I can safely even put the car in the garage knowing this is now possible. Not surprisingly, Lexus has been less than helpful on the phone so far today, and they seem clueless as to how this is even possible.

Lexus brought the Enform representative in on the conversation (Channelle L. is all I know) and she had the audacity to tell me I had to prove I own the vehicle because they don't have me listed. This is where I went sort of ape-**** on them. This brand new Lexus could have killed my entire family, including my 6 week old son who sleeps in the room right above my garage. Somehow, some way, Enform seems to have "lost" my information from November 5th to now.

I bought the car November 5th (first one owned in Colorado, yay...), and used the Enform remote start app a handful of times during the first 2 months of ownership. So clearly they knew who I was THEN. I have the app on my phone (and anyone who has set this up knows you have to go through a very lengthy authentication process via your SOS button in the car) and everything was fine. To be clear, I'm the ONLY one who has ever had the app or the ability to remote-start my car.

Then, around January 2nd, I received an email from Enform that a vehicle had been "deleted" from my account. I ignored the email, didn't really care, and I assumed I had like a 60 day trial with that app anyway, and that the vehicle was deleted due to the trial running out. I typically ignore emails like that. No big deal I figured, and I was not going to call Enform subscription services to renew the account.

Fast forward to today, and apparently this was a big deal. Apparently Lexus/Enform did something that you would think would not be possible due to authentication, due to VIN's being used, etc. etc. -but they managed to anyway.

To use the remote start app, you have to enter a LOT of information, including a password multiple times. They (Lexus) did confirm with me this morning that they see "someone else" was listed as the subscriber on my account. Which of course, should be impossible, since I am the only person who owns the car or is listed anywhere.

This is how technology can kill you.
For things like this you get a good lawyer and sue them!

-Mike
Old 06-29-15, 02:18 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, I would be pissed if this happened to me. Exhaust fumes are very harmful.

http://www.ehhi.org/reports/exhaust/summary.shtml
Old 06-29-15, 10:10 PM
ssonechko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a possibility that it could be the same case

Just check out the story from the attached link...
Attached Files