RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus allowed my car to be remote-started by someone else; could have killed my fam.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

wondering why remote start doesn't shut the car off after 5 mins or so of no door being opened. seems like a really bad idea to just let the car run indefinitely.
Old 01-17-15, 01:12 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wondering why remote start doesn't shut the car off after 5 mins or so of no door being opened. seems like a really bad idea to just let the car run indefinitely.
It does after 10 mins. The app even gives you a countdown. This means that the car must've been running for less than 10 mins in the OP's garage.
Old 01-17-15, 04:28 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
It does after 10 mins. The app even gives you a countdown. This means that the car must've been running for less than 10 mins in the OP's garage.
True, but how many times did the other guy try to get their vehicle started using the app?

A few weeks after buying my car I phoned the dealer with an issue. They couldn't find my car! A few hours later I got a call saying my Car/VIN was assigned to someone in a city 100 miles away!

This is a SERIOUS issue!
A friend of mine lost his wife a couple years back due to a remote starter she inadvertly sat on while sewing in the basement.
Old 01-17-15, 06:43 PM
duraiaras
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have called Lexus CS few times regarding Enform remote start in the last 3 weeks. One time they said something was wrong my account and they are not seeing related information to my account and asked me to call SOS to reset it. After reading this post it's ringing the bell now. The CS person didn't have enough knowledge and she would put me on hold every time for couple minutes and will get back to me with suggestions/answers. Time to add some CO control systems in the garage as well. Even if it's a false alarm it would be worth than loosing lives. Prevention is better.
Old 01-17-15, 07:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
True, but how many times did the other guy try to get their vehicle started using the app?
The car only allows you to remote start the car once, then you have to start/stop the car from inside before you can remote start it again for another 10 mins. This safety feature kinda keeps anything dangerous like CO to fill up a house.
Old 01-18-15, 11:21 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds bad...But be aware, because of today's as Smog Control laws it would take a long long time to die from auto exhaust, If that would have been a 59 caddy you probably would not be here to post. You were saved by Smog emission control laws. One of the very few I suspect to benefit

In the past, using car exhaust fumes to commit suicide was a well known method. Whether that was by running a car engine continuously in an enclosed space like a garage, or by running a pipe from the exhaust directly into the car, again, ideally in a garage. But that was before the days of emission controls on cars, which now emit much lower levels of CO than previously. Whilst it is possible to achieve death using this method, it does generally require older cars. The method is susceptible to a number of things that can go wrong, and for this reason it is no longer cited as an effective method of committing suicide, and certainly not in places like the US, UK and Australia where car emissions are more tightly controlled.
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-metho...e-co-poisoning

Last edited by JerryT; 01-18-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 12:45 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car only allows you to remote start the car once, then you have to start/stop the car from inside before you can remote start it again for another 10 mins. This safety feature kinda keeps anything dangerous like CO to fill up a house.
2nd this - The car turns off after 10minutes...
Old 01-19-15, 05:38 AM
Infrared
Rookie

So many claiming to know so much...

1) the issue is not primarily the quantifiable amount of CO gas present in my garage, can we agree on this?
2) the issue is the some other random party, somewhere on the planet, could start my vehicle.
3) given 2 above, what if I had been working on my car? Under my car changing the oil? If my car had been running for 10 minutes in a closed garage, how much CO gas was present? What if I sent out my 3 year old son to get something out of the minivan? Could he have been overcome?

So many of you posting sound like you don't get it. If you are so sure that the amount of CO being output from a "newer model" exhaust pipe is insignificant--DO THE TEST. Start the car, run it for 10 minutes in your sealed garage, then send your kids out.

If you're not willing to perform this test, I suggest you S-T-F-U.

Also, Lexus REFUSES to send me anything in writing regarding this issue. They won't even verbally tell me how long the car was running, claiming they "can't very easily get this information" and they are "working on it"

As to the 10 minute run time on the app: if Lexus can "accidentally" assign some random person the ability to start my car, I don't have a lot of faith in the 10 minute timer. I could not see the timer myself, and neither--PER LEXUS--can they.

Last edited by Infrared; 01-19-15 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 06:41 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Infrared, I agree with you that the root problem is Lexus allowed your VIN # to be hijacked by someone else. There should be fail-safes in place that if a new Enform user tries to register a VIN # that is already registered, then Lexus should question the new user if the VIN was input correct letting the applicant know that the VIN had already been registered. If I was registering a new car, then telling me the VIN was already registered would be a flag to review the VIN I had entered. If it were a used car I was buying, then it is expected that the VIN may have already been registered. So forcing the VIN to be entered twice to assure accuracy may be the simple fix by Lexus.

I hope you get some resolution with Lexus because I'm sure I would not like this happening to me. Best of luck.
Old 01-19-15, 06:54 PM
Infrared
Rookie

Here are some actual data points on why this is a major problem. Link below.

10 minutes with a car running in a closed garage is absolutely deadly. When engines first start (yes even ULEV's), they are polluting an incredible amount--possibly as much as 80,000 ppm when cold to 300p when warm. The first 10 minutes are by far the worst.

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...rages-aen-207/

This. Read the article.
Old 01-20-15, 02:13 PM
Infrared
Rookie

Just found out from Toyota today (a new person has the "case" and called me) that the car also was started and ran for an unknown period of time on January 2nd. I had no idea about the 2nd, I just knew about the 15th because I found it running.

They seem "fairly certain" that the car "only" ran for 10 minutes each time. But this is of little consolation given how deadly and how quickly CO is from a running car in a garage. (please read the link I posted if you are still skeptical that a ULEV running in a garage for 10 minutes is extremely deadly.)

Toyota/Lexus tells me they have changed their policy and will now not allow dealerships to add customers to the Enform account at the dealership. Apparently, some dealership was doing just that, should have seen that my car was already assigned (to me!) but deleted my information and added another customer to my car.

It's ridiculously easy, given what Toyota has told me, for someone else to accidentally be assigned to and possibly start one of these new cars. There is no way to disable it on your end as the vehicle owner.

I've repeatedly asked for Toyota to put this all in writing: what happened, how, how they fixed it so it won't happen again, and they keep saying "I'll see what I can do." Obviously this is a CYA move on their part and I'm not surprised. Still, it would be a refreshing sign of Toyota/Lexus "owning" this situation and standing tall.

The real bummer to me (in addition the obvious danger this has posed) is that I'm a huge Toyota fan. I mean, probably an almost unrivaled Toyota fan.

I currently own: 2011 Yaris, 2012 Prius C, 2013 Scion FR-S -- All "wrapped" company cars. A 2013 Tundra Limited Crewmax Rock Warrior Edition, and this 2015 Lexus RC350. --that's just what I own NOW! All of them purchased new, at the dealerships.

And, I was planning on trading in the wife's minivan for a brand new LandCruiser as soon as our 6 week old child is in a forward-facing seat.

I've previously owned: 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2007 Camry (both purchased brand new), 1997 Tacoma, and mulitple older Toyotas including a 1987 MR2, 1985 Camry, 1988 Celica... --I mention this so anyone reading this knows I know the company, I know the brand, and I truly love the company.

Hell, I've even used them as one of our leading examples for how I run MY OWN company. Kaizen is a term that is regularly referenced by me at my company.

I'm not someone who expects something for nothing. I've built everything I have (successful business with offices in multiple states) completely on my own, but it would be nice if Lexus made some type of gesture given what a customer I've been and given how terrible this situation is and how much worse it so easily could have been.

I don't expect that they will, and I know Toyota is huge and does not need me, no matter how many of their products I have purchased or would have purchased in the future. If some kind of sincere gesture of apology is not made to me given this situation, this RC will be the last product I or my family ever owns from them.
Old 01-20-15, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i remember someone was asking recently why was there this limit - this is why :-).

This is likely not the last time this has happened for some owner somewhere... so many cars will have this in the future, there is no way that there might be human error involved somewhere in the process.
Old 01-21-15, 04:05 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infrared
I'm not someone who expects something for nothing. I've built everything I have (successful business with offices in multiple states) completely on my own, but it would be nice if Lexus made some type of gesture given what a customer I've been and given how terrible this situation is and how much worse it so easily could have been.
Lol. Are you sure about that? Good lord. Talk about the victim card. It's new technology. Like any new technology it's going to have glitches/bugs/etc. And yes, they should be rectified it, I'm not arguing that. But if it's such a threat to you and your family you should really look into having Lexus disable the enform tech permanently and not continue the free trial (which lasts 1 year from date of purchase). This will prevent all future attempts on you and your families life.
Old 01-21-15, 05:12 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remote start is and always was a BAD, BAD idea. You don't need it, you can live without it just like you did for decades.

Spending as much as five minutes inside of a car while it's running in a closed garage or even open garage if reversed parked can make you dizzy for the rest of the day. Happened to me.
Old 01-21-15, 07:17 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Infrared,

I have not read this entire thread but I have an idea of the points of concern here. I thought I would add my perspective based on my incomplete review of what has already been discussed.

In today's society, technology seems to make almost everything possible. With that being said, I strongly feel that technology enables us to technologically perform functions that used to only be performed manually. It is my opinion that many of these automated functions are ridiculous and only gain acceptance because of the novelty affect they create. As an example, you can now watch a movie on a wrist watch but who wants to? It's just a novelty.

You are a victim of technology that although had the best of intentions was ultimately flawed by human intervention and error. Personally, I see no need to ever need to start your car from a far, no matter how awful the weather conditions.

Were I you, I would disable this capability because it is not needed in life and be grateful that your story ended without incident.

Were I Enform or Toyota, I would scrap the whole idea, because we can all survive without it. This should be a wake-up call to them that there is unforeseen risk in this application.

Quick Reply: Lexus allowed my car to be remote-started by someone else; could have killed my fam.