RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe

Old 02-04-15, 03:09 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
Interesting observations as I read through the comments. I had just attended the RC Asphalt Up event in Sonoma Infineon raceway and was able to drive the A5 (S-Line badge on it - sorry not completely familiar with the car). I was really disappointed when I test drove it on the auto cross - lack of power and was barely gripping the corners. I had high expectations for this car (so did my passenger and she agreed that it felt sluggish and boatlike). Also, test drove the BMW 435i and MB 350C, both of which performed quite well. But after driving the RC, RC F Sport, RC F Sport AWD and RCF, I fell in love with the car!
If you are looking for performance from an Audi. You needed the drive the S5 instead of the A5. Add the APR stage1/2 flash on an A5 and some suspension upgrades and you'll have a more competitive car. The A5 is a GT car with just enough power and good looks. The S or RS5 are the cars for performance.
Old 02-04-15, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
If you are looking for performance from an Audi. You needed the drive the S5 instead of the A5. Add the APR stage1/2 flash on an A5 and some suspension upgrades and you'll have a more competitive car. The A5 is a GT car with just enough power and good looks. The S or RS5 are the cars for performance.
Amen, bro.
Old 03-30-15, 11:27 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Well for me the audi is not exciting nor comfortable
Old 03-30-15, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
Well for me the audi is not exciting nor comfortable
That's probably a good thing for you since you're a Lexus salesman and just picked up an RC350. You, of all people in this forum, should defend the brand.

And anyone that has driven an S5 and says it's not exciting or comfortable hasn't truly driven an S5. I'm in sales and I make sure I know everything about the competition before I dog them.
Old 03-31-15, 01:41 PM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
Atomic Silver is not the kind of paint we are talking about. The Infrared and Ultrasonic Blue are made with a different paint process: first a metallic silver paint is applied, then several coats of clearcoat, then a coat of a translucent red (or blue), then a few more coats of clearcoat. There is a surcharge of about $600 for these two colors. All the other colors use a conventional paint process. I have not seen the blue yet, but I have an RC with the infrared and it is spectacular.
Also, conventional Lexus paint, whether "metallic" or not, is very good, and usually looks far better and richer than the inexpensive competition, but these two new Lexus colors are something new. How a body shop will deal with them after a fender-bender is yet to be determined.
I was at a Lexus dealership yesterday and sat in a few RC 350 F Sports. I don't know if the Ultra White uses the same process as what you outline here, but I can say without a doubt that it was the most strikingly awesome white paint I've seen on a car yet. It was supremely rich and deep and at some angles you could see the tiny reflections which looked like very soft goldish blueish metallic flecks. It was pure sex.

Originally Posted by dseag2
That's probably a good thing for you since you're a Lexus salesman and just picked up an RC350. You, of all people in this forum, should defend the brand.

And anyone that has driven an S5 and says it's not exciting or comfortable hasn't truly driven an S5. I'm in sales and I make sure I know everything about the competition before I dog them.
This is a great reply. Audi S5 is near the top of my list for shopping right now. I've never owned an Audi, but have read up on the S3, S4, and S5 and watched soooooooo many video reviews on all of them that I almost felt like I already owned them all. lol.

That is, of course, until I went to the Audi dealer yesterday and sat in all 3 of them. And I'm here to say, that there is nothing boring at all about the Audi S cars. They are smooth as butter and look like road toys made for rich people. Very top end refinement in the design inside and out.

Right now, RC and S5 are among my top desires. I may go S3 for the more "practical factor", but I really don't like that they only offer their gorgeous super sport seats only in full black for the S3 with no other lighter color options. That may be a deal breaker for me.

This thread title should have been titled RC350 vs S5. That's a more correct comparison. Sure the S5 would whoop up on the RC on a track, but for street driving like 99.9% of the time any buyer will spend in the car, they are very comparable as far as sport capabilities. If a good friend comes over for dinner and you want to show off your new ride for a quick hoon around town, nobody is gonna sit in the passenger seat of an RC350 F Sport and be disappointed. Same is true of the beastly S5.

Last edited by Booster; 03-31-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 02:26 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Lexus has had a very impressive white for a few years now - the best I have ever seen. It's a metallic paint with lots of reflective gold and silver bits in it. But right now, I'm pretty sure that only the Infrared and the "UltraSonic Blue Mica 2.0" are done with the two layer process, and I think only the RC has them. Here's how to tell: look at the brochure or the Lexus web page - if the paint color you want is a $595.00 option, like Infrared, then it's this new process (I guess they charge extra because they have to paint the car twice). All others, even that orange color, come at no extra charge.

Last edited by tfischer; 03-31-15 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Deleted references to Notre Dame getting to the Final Four.
Old 03-31-15, 08:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Booster
I was at a Lexus dealership yesterday and sat in a few RC 350 F Sports. I don't know if the Ultra White uses the same process as what you outline here, but I can say without a doubt that it was the most strikingly awesome white paint I've seen on a car yet. It was supremely rich and deep and at some angles you could see the tiny reflections which looked like very soft goldish blueish metallic flecks. It was pure sex.

This is a great reply. Audi S5 is near the top of my list for shopping right now. I've never owned an Audi, but have read up on the S3, S4, and S5 and watched soooooooo many video reviews on all of them that I almost felt like I already owned them all. lol.

That is, of course, until I went to the Audi dealer yesterday and sat in all 3 of them. And I'm here to say, that there is nothing boring at all about the Audi S cars. They are smooth as butter and look like road toys made for rich people. Very top end refinement in the design inside and out.

Right now, RC and S5 are among my top desires. I may go S3 for the more "practical factor", but I really don't like that they only offer their gorgeous super sport seats only in full black for the S3 with no other lighter color options. That may be a deal breaker for me.

This thread title should have been titled RC350 vs S5. That's a more correct comparison. Sure the S5 would whoop up on the RC on a track, but for street driving like 99.9% of the time any buyer will spend in the car, they are very comparable as far as sport capabilities. If a good friend comes over for dinner and you want to show off your new ride for a quick hoon around town, nobody is gonna sit in the passenger seat of an RC350 F Sport and be disappointed. Same is true of the beastly S5.
Thanks for bringing an objective point of view into the conversation, and you're right... you can't go wrong with either car!
Old 08-07-15, 12:47 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for bringing an objective point of view into the conversation, and you're right... you can't go wrong with either car!
I second that. The A5 and the new RC200t would be a better comparison... Curious what the OP went with.
Old 08-07-15, 01:41 PM
FleeingFox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) The RC350 does NOT compete with the S5.

2) An S5 with similar options as the RC350 will come in at about $60,000 - at that point you're in RC-F territory.

3) The RC is a brand new car in its first model year, the S5 is in the end of its life and will be replace in ~ 1 -1.5 years (we are expecting the new reveal shortly after the new A4 lands in dealers).

4) If you're buying and planning to keep - the S5 will be a nightmare once the warranty runs out, the RC will be relatively smooth sailing.

5) If you're leasing then Audi will be at least 2x more expensive than the Lexus, Audi FS does not subsidize at all and their interest rates are terrible, even for the best qualified people.

6) Not sure about the discounts, but if you're in LA - I can EASILY find you $5000-6000 off the RC350. Feel free to PM me about that if you like. Especially at this time of year, the Lexus deals are GOOD and any dealer not wanting to play ball is either trying to strong arm you into a bad deal, or is just a strung up sales manager.
Old 08-07-15, 09:23 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with FleeingFox. Audi's are nightmares after the warranty goes up. I came from an 08 A3 and it basically was costing me more per month to keep that car than it is to put payments on my current car.
Old 08-08-15, 02:47 AM
AussieRC
Rookie

Originally Posted by rparkzy
if its between the A5 and the RC350 F sport ....Lexus wins hands down

I don't think they are in the same class, maybe S5 vs RC350 even though the S5 has the RC beat in the power segment

If we're comparing S5 vs RC350...I'd go with the S5 even though you're paying a few thousand more.
I don't know what the pricing of Audi is like in the U.S. but I'm astounded that the "S5 is only a few thousand more". Really??? In Oz a similarly equipped A5 with the 6 cylinder engine is over $30k more than the F Sport, the S5 is over $45k more and in the same price league as the RC F. The choice here is simple - RC350!
Old 08-08-15, 05:12 AM
cjschober
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
To the OP, if you can accept your RC to be slower than an Accord coupe V6,I say go for it. More power to you and the RC.
Sorry. Had to comment on this one. I just came from a 2015 Honda Accord Coupe V6 to my current RC 350 F Sport (perks of wife working for Honda Corporate then working for Lexus Corporate). While I enjoyed the 2015 Accord (I drove all 3 refreshes starting from 2013), you can't compare it to the RC. The one thing I do miss is the engine in the Accord. It had some great low end torque and a great sound for what it was. But I definitely don't miss the front wheel drive. Even though the RC weighs about 200 pounds more, it's still more nimble than the Accord. I respect the Accord for what it was, but it's no RC. And honestly, the acceleration is about the same on both of them, you just felt that torque more on the Accord. Besides, the design of the RC is light years away from the Accord. And while Honda was on a good path with the Accord design, they're already screwing it up with the 2016 refresh. Which looks horrendous and makes it look like a cheap aftermarket tuner.
Old 08-08-15, 07:08 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I have always thought that the RC and the Accord are in different categories and different price ranges, and are not aimed at the same demographic. By the way, for a guy who started out with "you can't compare" these two cars, you did a good job later in your note of comparing the two cars.
Old 08-09-15, 04:26 PM
radcoupe
Driver

To me it came down to the exterior looks and the RC in my opinion killed it! That's why I went with it. It's a unique blend that can't be compared. I had my eyes set on an RC for a long time. When the opportunity showed itself, I did it with no hesitation. How many A5's do you see compared to an RC on the roads while driving. Here in my town I've only seen 2 RC 350's while I see a handful of boring looking A5's. I enjoy standing out on the road with an RC compared to an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Those are just so generic nowadays. The RC is a game changer compared to a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. There have been countless times I've been in a gas station and I get so much love compared to a Audi, BMW, or Mercedes owner (unless you have the very high-end models, ex: R8, i8, or AMG GT ).

Last edited by radcoupe; 08-09-15 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 08:00 PM
PeterLegen
Driver School Candidate

The RC is definitely striking, whether or not you like it is up to the consumer. So far it seems they aren't selling very well, I live in SoCal too and have only seen no more than 5 on the road this year...

I would personally take the S5 but for it to be price comparable it would be CPO or used.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe