RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:44 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I extensively test drove the S5 and the RC350. The S5 is hands down faster, more nimble and more alive tackling corners. Not a contest in my humble opinion. I actually had them almost side by side as the Lexus in my area had an S5 for sale. I found the exterior of the S5 classier and more elegant. It is also very muscular. The interior is a tie in my opinion but the larger feeling of the S5 is still better in my opinion again. With just a tune and pulley it will take down my IS-F ( roughly $2,500). There are so many areas where the S5 is better than RC 350 I could not believe it myself as I am Lexus fan.
Now, lets talk about reliability. The 3.0 TFSi supercharged engine has been proven to be bullet proof so far but my feeling is that the RC's engine will be more reliable. This audi engine is multi year awarded by WARD's so I don't need to say more.

Here is my 2015 S5 with Black Optics package.

Excellent choice going with the black optics package.
Old 01-28-15, 07:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Infrared
S5 is nice, but no comparison to the RC350 F-Sport in my opinion...

I had a '13 GS Fport. I wanted a smaller car, preferably a coupe. The RC 350 F Sport would have been the logical progression. The RC is a striking car. However, I found the Audi had a more timeless, muscular design without all the contrived shapes added into the RC.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-28-15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

As a follow-up, I was just wondering today why I hadn't seen an RC on the road here in Dallas when lo and behold I saw one parked near my gym. It was red and it really stood out. It looked like it had gold flecks in the paint that made it appear reddish-orange. It was quite sharp. Even so, I still prefer the understated beauty of the S5. The RC is equally nice but for the "young'ns". I hope it will attract more younger drivers to the Lexus brand.
Old 01-30-15, 07:53 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks, dseag2. I'm 71 and just sold my SC430 and bought an Infrared RC350; I hope I qualify as a young'un. I find the Audi designs a bit boring and conventional, although I have driven my brother's new A6 and think it's an excellent car for an older guy who just wants to cruise down the highway at 60.
Also, Audi has no paint process to generate a color like the Lexus Infrared.

Last edited by tfischer; 01-30-15 at 07:54 AM. Reason: I just edited so I won't get fined.
Old 01-30-15, 05:45 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
Thanks, dseag2. I'm 71 and just sold my SC430 and bought an Infrared RC350; I hope I qualify as a young'un. I find the Audi designs a bit boring and conventional, although I have driven my brother's new A6 and think it's an excellent car for an older guy who just wants to cruise down the highway at 60.
Misano red on the Audi's has a orange/gold pearl glow to it.
Old 01-30-15, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfischer
I remember you from my time in the SC430 forum, since I owned an '03 S430. Hey, more power to ya and congrats on a beautiful car! I just traded in my GS F Sport, so I'll take "boring and stealth" this time around. You could say the SC300/400 got boring after a few years too, but they still look good today. Sometimes more conservative is more timeless.

In any case, enjoy your RC350. It is definitely a head-turner!
Old 01-30-15, 07:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Though I still find it kinda hard to consider this boring.
Attached Thumbnails RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe-2015-s5-front.jpg   RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe-s5-side-outside.jpg  
Old 01-30-15, 09:56 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
Though I still find it kinda hard to consider this boring.

That car of yours is one boring looking car
Old 01-31-15, 07:00 AM
tfischer

I parked my infrared RC next to several red cars, both domestic and foreign, in a parking lot. Upon returning to the car, I looked at the cars - the other red colors looked quite flat and dull, while the RC was very rich and deep. That's what you get for your $600 extra cost for the paint (the Ultrasonic Blue is the same paint technique and the same extra charge). If you are superficial like me and consider appearance paramount, then this paint is for you.
Old 01-31-15, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Infrared is a standout color in person!
Old 02-01-15, 08:47 AM
tfischer

True. The depth of the color and the variations in hue which depend on the color of the light hitting it and the angle of reflection cannot be captured in photographs. The old "absolutely red" first used on the SC430 was as bright and as pure a red as any, but in comparison, those cars looks like red crayons on a cardboard box. This new paint process is quite successful. The red is available on the 350, and the blue is available on the 350 F-Sport; it also looks to me like it was used in a yellow on the concept car current making the rounds of the auto shows.
Old 02-01-15, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Lexus is coming out with some really great colors like Infrared and Atomic Silver that change depending on the light and look downright striking when the light hits them just right.
Old 02-02-15, 07:15 AM
tfischer

Atomic Silver is not the kind of paint we are talking about. The Infrared and Ultrasonic Blue are made with a different paint process: first a metallic silver paint is applied, then several coats of clearcoat, then a coat of a translucent red (or blue), then a few more coats of clearcoat. There is a surcharge of about $600 for these two colors. All the other colors use a conventional paint process. I have not seen the blue yet, but I have an RC with the infrared and it is spectacular.
Also, conventional Lexus paint, whether "metallic" or not, is very good, and usually looks far better and richer than the inexpensive competition, but these two new Lexus colors are something new. How a body shop will deal with them after a fender-bender is yet to be determined.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-04-15 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed suggestion to pass on second and goal.
Old 02-03-15, 09:44 PM
Clipperfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're buying, go Lexus. If you're leasing, just get whichever you think you'll have the most fun in
Old 02-04-15, 11:37 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts
Interesting observations as I read through the comments. I had just attended the RC Asphalt Up event in Sonoma Infineon raceway and was able to drive the A5 (S-Line badge on it - sorry not completely familiar with the car). I was really disappointed when I test drove it on the auto cross - lack of power and was barely gripping the corners. I had high expectations for this car (so did my passenger and she agreed that it felt sluggish and boatlike). Also, test drove the BMW 435i and MB 350C, both of which performed quite well. But after driving the RC, RC F Sport, RC F Sport AWD and RCF, I fell in love with the car!

Quick Reply: RC 350 w/ F sport versus Audi A5 coupe