RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Paint Protection Films

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 06:15 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection Films

Anyone have any experience with these films? I was looking into Xpel and 3M. Xpel has a 7 year warranty and #M has lifetime.

Anyone putting these on their cars? Does it change the look of the car at all?
Old 12-12-14, 07:23 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some are great (Xpel) but very expensive and they always look obvious
Old 12-12-14, 07:53 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

They don't always look obvious, but if it is not professionally applied by a technician with skill and experience, the film can be seen upon close observation. I just looked at a new Porsche that my friend mentioned had just had Xpel and Opticoat, and it took me a while to see the film line across the front of the hood. This car was dark blue. I saw another car, a white Hundai SUV, that had not been washed much, and the line was very dark from dirt, and the mirrors were done only with a rectangular patch rather than a mapped cutout. This job was terribly done and looked awful. I'm having my RC done next week, and will do the full hood, so there will be no line across the hood under any circumstances. Also, when done well, the edges are wrapped around the edges of the hood, etc. This was not done on the white car, and it looked like the film had shrunk or perhaps the film pieces were cut a few mm too small, additional evidence that this job was done on the cheap by someone with no pride in his work. Get it done right and it will protect the front of the car from paint dings and chips that will decrease its value.

Last edited by tfischer; 12-12-14 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed references to the Jets season record.
Old 12-12-14, 08:40 AM
RDKohler
Rookie

I just had my 6th car wrapped (350 F Sport). I won't drive a car off the lot without protection. Most cars the line is not noticeable but I have eliminated that problem by wrapping the entire hood and both quarter panels. Not cheap, but worth it to me.
Old 12-12-14, 10:09 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did Xpel Ultimate with a 10 yr warranty. I'll post pictures whenever I get time. No one notices that its on my car.
Old 12-12-14, 11:53 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For the most part you won't even know its there, where as the paint chips and scratches are very easily seen.

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Anyone have any experience with these films? I was looking into Xpel and 3M. Xpel has a 7 year warranty and #M has lifetime.

Anyone putting these on their cars? Does it change the look of the car at all?
Old 12-12-14, 11:58 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother and I have been applying PPF to our cars for years. The job takes several hours and is best performed with two people; but, it is relatively easy. The results are fantastic. A good film will have a shiny surface like your new paint. The film will not change the look of the car. They really work well ... at least for our use in N CA. No one cares about searching for minor film lines so don't worry about that aspect. You can buy pre-cut kits online. The RC is a small car and this will make the job easier. Since the RC is a new model it may take a little time before kits become available online. Depending on how much of the car you want to do, plan on a price of somewhere between $250 - $350. If you go to an installer, prices usually start at $600 - $800, but full wraps like some are mentioning can run up to twice that amount.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-12-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 09:34 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The films are definitely a necessity for all cars in order to avoid rock chips. I had it installed on my Ultra White IS 350 and I had a very hard time seeing the film even when I was 5 inches away from the car. On the other hand, I can see it clearly on my brother's obsedian IS 350.

I've only used Xpel bra, never 3M. Here's a fun fact: Xpel and 3M films are self healing, but in colder climates you can pour warm water over the Xpel film to accelerate the healing process. Not sure if 3M can do this.
Old 12-13-14, 10:14 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

I've been shopping around. One installer quoted me $1,000 for the front bumper, whole front hood, mirrors and the collision area on the rear bumper. The second installer quoted me much more: $899 for front bumper, bra, partial fender and mirrors, an additional $800 for the full hod and $300 for the rear bumper.

More importantly, I got a good feeling from the 1st installer about his work quality and experience - so I'm leaning toward using him - my only decision is IF I really want to do this. I've never done this type of film and I'm pretty meticulous about my car and if I see lines I'll be pissed.
Old 12-13-14, 07:17 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nylawyer
I've been shopping around. One installer quoted me $1,000 for the front bumper, whole front hood, mirrors and the collision area on the rear bumper. The second installer quoted me much more: $899 for front bumper, bra, partial fender and mirrors, an additional $800 for the full hod and $300 for the rear bumper.

More importantly, I got a good feeling from the 1st installer about his work quality and experience - so I'm leaning toward using him - my only decision is IF I really want to do this. I've never done this type of film and I'm pretty meticulous about my car and if I see lines I'll be pissed.
Judging from your picture, you have a white car. Like I said, my salesman and I had a hard time finding the line of the film, even though our face was up close to the car.

If you're pissed when you see lines, I wouldn't want to see how you look when you see rock chips on your car lol.
Old 12-14-14, 01:28 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Xpel is the best!
Old 12-14-14, 07:16 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone heard about premium shield elite film? It offers a life time warranty on this product. My local Lexus dealer use this product for their installations.
Old 12-14-14, 10:59 AM
Mywhitercf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Experience

I had my white RC-F done with Xpel film. TH installer in St. Louis at clear auto bra of St Louis is known around the midwest as being one of the best. I had the hood, fenders, down the rocker panels, over the rear quarter to the body line and down the back bumper behind the wheel to the rear flair. You can't see it at all unless you know that it is on the car, the cost for this much film would usually be near 2000 but I am in the car business so he cut me a nice deal in attempt to get future business.
Here is a photo after the car was done.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Protection Films-first.jpg  
Old 12-15-14, 11:00 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

after thinking about this - I was on the fence..and for now, think I'm going to pass on getting the Xpel film on my car.
Old 12-17-14, 01:02 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not worth putting any paint protection film on the vehicle if your not going to keep for a long time.
If its a lease I will pass on

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Films