RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Paint Protection Films

Old 12-22-14, 01:02 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I wanted to get this done on day 1 also, but it takes Xpel and others some time to get their hands on a new model to map it out. I just got mine back this morning and it's spectacular; the installer himself was very impressed at how Xpel made the templates for the mirrors and for the complex area around the headlights. Even the base (stalk) of the mirror is covered. I'm on my way out of town, so it will be a while until I can post some photos. The installer took lots of photos also and is going to do a write-up on his web page. However, for the painted parts of the RC350 grille (not the F-Sport grille), he could only do the emblem. The rest was far too complex for him to cut out and do by hand. He is going to call his friends at Xpel and see if they can get a template made for that, as there is a lot of painted area in this grille that is not covered by the fender/bumper pieces. F-Sport owners have less of this problem, I think.
F-sport grille is covered in black pearl paint. Xpel did the mapping on my car a couple weeks ago, and informed me that they won't be doing the F-sport grille. I could only get the emblem done. They told me to just get Quartz on the grille since the F-sport grille is too complex to wrap it. I'm not sure about the non sport grille.
Old 12-22-14, 01:49 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

It's pretty complex, but there is a large horizontal painted bar that could be covered. The problem is all the vertical pieces that emanate from it, both up and down. Let's hope the thrown road stones hit dead center in the swell Lexus emblem.
Old 12-22-14, 02:22 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gearhead: Yes it is smooth to the touch and has a shine like the paint. Honestly, unless your 6 " away and are looking for the relief cuts, you don't see it at all.

Last edited by nylawyer; 12-22-14 at 02:33 PM. Reason: adding
Old 12-22-14, 03:26 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Gearhead: Yes it is smooth to the touch and has a shine like the paint. Honestly, unless your 6 " away and are looking for the relief cuts, you don't see it at all.
Excellent. You got the Xpel Ultimate, correct? I getting my done on Tuesday afternoon.
Old 12-24-14, 11:46 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
Excellent. You got the Xpel Ultimate, correct? I getting my done on Tuesday afternoon.
Yes! Still very happy with it!
Old 12-24-14, 12:41 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Got mine done yesterday, and I have to tell you it is worth the money and wait. They had just finished up a Tesla S when I got there, and it looked great.

When the Tesla Sales and Parts manager came by to pick up their car they saw mine, and went nuts over it. The Sales manager said it was bad-*** looking and he wanted to get one. I told him stand in line because as fast as they come in they go out.

I had mine sitting outside today so the sun can do it's thing on it, and it looks even better now.

Thanks goodness no bird poop.
Old 12-24-14, 04:26 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine back today. The installer did very good job with Xpel ultimate film. You have to be really close and pay attention to notice there is PPF on the car. It is kind of expansive to cover almost the whole car but it is definitely worth it.
Old 12-24-14, 04:57 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waynesreef
Got mine back today. The installer did very good job with Xpel ultimate film. You have to be really close and pay attention to notice there is PPF on the car. It is kind of expansive to cover almost the whole car but it is definitely worth it.
Agreed I think its too expensive to do the entire car. I reccommend doing the front end (bumper, hood, headlights, fogs, emblem, mirror caps, side skirts) in the Xpel Ultimate, and doing the rest of the car in cquartz treatment. Save some of that money on other car mods
Old 12-24-14, 05:18 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Bring on the mods!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone and have a safe New Year.
Old 03-27-15, 03:40 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the nice pictures of what to expect on an XPEL install. Your car looks very nice.

You show as picture the front L emblem. Is there XPEL on that as well?
Did you have XPEL on the headlights and fogs?
Did you do any CQuarts sealer like on the grill?
Old 03-27-15, 04:56 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Thanks for the nice pictures of what to expect on an XPEL install. Your car looks very nice.

You show as picture the front L emblem. Is there XPEL on that as well?
Did you have XPEL on the headlights and fogs?
Did you do any CQuarts sealer like on the grill?
Yes, I have XPEL on the L emblem, the highlights, full hood, and lower valance, but not the fogs. I didn't do any sealer on the grill.
Old 03-27-15, 06:24 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

My installer did the same thing. Xpel has patterns for the headlights and the contoured areas that surround them, but not for the grille itself, other than the L emblem. At first we were just going to do the hood and the mirrors, but when he saw the actual car, he suggested that the fenders were quite exposed and recommended we put the Xpel on them as well. I'm not sure if it's on my foglights or not.
Old 03-27-15, 06:46 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfischer
My installer did the same thing. Xpel has patterns for the headlights and the contoured areas that surround them, but not for the grille itself, other than the L emblem. At first we were just going to do the hood and the mirrors, but when he saw the actual car, he suggested that the fenders were quite exposed and recommended we put the Xpel on them as well. I'm not sure if it's on my foglights or not.
I thought about having the fenders done, but thought that there is so little exposed directly from the front end it was not worth the extra $400. Since owning the car from mid-December most of the hits occur on the lower half of the hood and the contoured areas. A couple of the hits to the hood went though some of the XPEL top layer and it won't heal when it is that deep, but then again it did not touch the paint. You know I really don't know if the fogs were done or not so I have to go look more closely.