RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC350 F-Sport or C7 Corvette Z51 Stingray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 03:31 PM
CANorthCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justa331
Hmmm, my 1st attempt at a post just disappeared.

2nd try

We had a S2000 for 13 years. It was, and is, a great car. Our daughter is enjoying it now.

We have a C7, convertible, Z-51, 7 speed & mag ride. We just took delivery of a RC-F.

We find both to be very comfortable and fast. They both handle very very well. Both greatly exceed my abilities.

I am 5'11 and can ride comfortably in the C7 passenger seat although I wouldn't mind more leg room.

I find rearward vision in both to be limited(C7 top up). The head rests, both front & rear, limit me in the RC-F. The blind spot monitors really help in traffic.

They are very different vehicles. We greatly enjoy both of them.

I really do not like the tires on either of them. They chatter in tight turns when cold. The C7 hydroplaned on me during reasonable driving. The rear of the RC-F kicked out the other evening.....cold &tires?, road surface?, HP?

We have traveled in the C7. It has been a pleasure. We haven't travel far in the RC-F yet but expect it will be great too.

The RC-F has more luggage capacity. The C7 gets better gas mileage.

I think I prefer the RC-F for a daily driver. For a trip? I think it depends on the trip.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them........or at least offer my opinion.

Mike
Mike,

Since you've owned a Honda S2000, I'm interested in how you compare the driving experience of that car compared to the C7 Z51 and the RC-F. We've taken a test drive in a non-Z51 C7, but found it very hard to really understand what the car would be like to own. So far our local dealer hasn't had an RC350 F-Sport of RC-F available for test drives.

In deciding between an RC350 F-Sport (and maybe an RC-F) and a C7 Z51, we're focused on travel. Because we live in Sonoma County in CA, the roads tend to be curvy (frequently twisty, with decreasing radius turns) and often in bad condition (pot holes, etc.) and lower speeds (35 - 55 mph). Things I love about the S2000 are feeling planted to the road, powering through turns, the responsiveness of the engine, the car's nimble feel, and minimal body roll. I'd appreciate feedback on how the C7 Z51 and RC-F (and RC350 F-Sport if you have an opinion) drive on these types of roads.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-14, 07:01 PM
Justa331
Driver School Candidate

Interesting question that I do not think I am capable of answering simply.

I thoroughly enjoyed the S2000 for lots of miles, of all types, in all sorts of weather. For me, it was a lot like driving a go cart. It lacked torque. It lacked many creature comforts. But wow was it nimble. It was also small and low.

I think both the RC-F & C7 probably handle much better than the S2000 but, to me, neither feels as nimble. Both are substantially larger cars and are much much more comfortable. Easier to get into and out of for an old guy like me. Both have many more creature comforts & modern goodies than the Honda. Both have lots of torque. Both have electronic nannies that the Honda lacked. Both have interiors that are much quieter & roomier than the Honda. However, I repeat, they are much larger than the Honda. Both are much faster.

I have driven the Tail of the Dragon a few times. My preference for that limited purpose would be the Honda. LOTS of very tight turns. Moving into W. N.Carolina, mt. roads with sweepers, on a pretty day would be the C7. Given a bit of rainy weather and more mixed road driving, I think I would prefer the RC-F. Boy, the RC-F is great for my daily suburban commute and I am enjoying it more and more every day.

None are great on pot holed roads. I never broke a Honda wheel and we have some serious pot holes in W. Pa. I am concerned about both the C7 & RC-F tires and wheels here. The sidewalls look pretty small, thin/narrow to me. Again, I repeat, I do not like the tires on either the C7 or RC-F
as delivered in this climate.

I think my wife prefers the RC-F. I know that she was not fond of the Honda. It was too small and low for her taste.

Maybe think Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry.............it is all about individual tastes and, for me, on any given day my preference changes...........and I happen to like all three......a lot.

Oh yeah, I did ask the RC-F salesman call me when the RC-F offers a convertible, with a manual & 100 more HP.

Mike
Old 12-18-14, 12:05 PM
CANorthCA
Driver School Candidate

Interesting question that I do not think I am capable of answering simply.

I thoroughly enjoyed the S2000 for lots of miles, of all types, in all sorts of weather. For me, it was a lot like driving a go cart. It lacked torque. It lacked many creature comforts. But wow was it nimble. It was also small and low.

I think both the RC-F & C7 probably handle much better than the S2000 but, to me, neither feels as nimble. Both are substantially larger cars and are much much more comfortable. Easier to get into and out of for an old guy like me. Both have many more creature comforts & modern goodies than the Honda. Both have lots of torque. Both have electronic nannies that the Honda lacked. Both have interiors that are much quieter & roomier than the Honda. However, I repeat, they are much larger than the Honda. Both are much faster.

I have driven the Tail of the Dragon a few times. My preference for that limited purpose would be the Honda. LOTS of very tight turns. Moving into W. N.Carolina, mt. roads with sweepers, on a pretty day would be the C7. Given a bit of rainy weather and more mixed road driving, I think I would prefer the RC-F. Boy, the RC-F is great for my daily suburban commute and I am enjoying it more and more every day.

None are great on pot holed roads. I never broke a Honda wheel and we have some serious pot holes in W. Pa. I am concerned about both the C7 & RC-F tires and wheels here. The sidewalls look pretty small, thin/narrow to me. Again, I repeat, I do not like the tires on either the C7 or RC-F
as delivered in this climate.

I think my wife prefers the RC-F. I know that she was not fond of the Honda. It was too small and low for her taste.

Maybe think Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry.............it is all about individual tastes and, for me, on any given day my preference changes...........and I happen to like all three......a lot.

Oh yeah, I did ask the RC-F salesman call me when the RC-F offers a convertible, with a manual & 100 more HP.

Mike
Mike,

Your description makes me think that we should add the RC-F back to our list of possible choices! If the RC-F was available as a convertible, I think it would already have been on the list.

You said that the C7 Z51 had better fuel economy than the RC-F. How do you think they compare on interior noise, comfort, and the feeling of interior roominess?

Since I'm 5'3" (my husband 5'11"), forward, over-the-shoulder, and rear visibility is a concern for me. How do the C7 and RC-F compare on that?

Specific to the RC-F, does the weight of the car reduce your driving enjoyment? How does the weight affect the handling of the car?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-14, 02:17 PM
Justa331
Driver School Candidate

From my perspective, the RC-F is quieter, somewhat more comfortable and definitely roomier.
I think you will need to judge visibility for yourself. They are both wider & longer than the Honda. Top up or down, day light or not, parking or in traffic etc. My wife, who is 4'11" on a good day, drives the C7 comfortably. She is not so comfortable in close quarters. I suspect she will feel the same about the RC-F .

Weight vs. handling? I think you would be better off asking someone that drives a lot faster than I do......maybe someone who tracks the car. Both greatly exceed both my need and my abilities.

I find them both solid and reasonably quiet. I enjoy the toys. Solid, quiet & toys all add weight.
I know there are many faster and better handling cars. But, for ME, the balance of these two cars, between performance and creature comforts.........not to mention price......works well. For others, they may reach a different decision, prefer a different balance than I do. Chocolate, vanilla & strawberry.

Mike
Old 12-19-14, 03:11 PM
CANorthCA
Driver School Candidate

Mike,

Thanks for all your help. It's good to know that the weight of the RC-F is not a factor in normal (non-track) driving!
Old 12-20-14, 09:57 AM
CANorthCA
Driver School Candidate

Weight vs. handling? I think you would be better off asking someone that drives a lot faster than I do......maybe someone who tracks the car. Both greatly exceed both my need and my abilities.

I find them both solid and reasonably quiet. I enjoy the toys. Solid, quiet & toys all add weight.
I know there are many faster and better handling cars. But, for ME, the balance of these two cars, between performance and creature comforts.........not to mention price......works well. For others, they may reach a different decision, prefer a different balance than I do. Chocolate, vanilla & strawberry.

Mike
Mike,
After thinking further, I have one last question: While test driving a 2014 C7 (non-Z51) on a smooth, straight concrete highway (without rain grooves) we found it necessary to make constant small steering corrections in order to keep the car going straight while traveling at about 65 MPH. This is something that we do not experience in our S2000 or ES300. What has been your experience with your C7 and RC F? I have read about wide tires and tramlining, but would hope to not experience it under normal conditions with the C7 or RC F. Thanks!
Old 12-20-14, 01:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CANorthCA
Mike, After thinking further, I have one last question: While test driving a 2014 C7 (non-Z51) on a smooth, straight concrete highway (without rain grooves) we found it necessary to make constant small steering corrections in order to keep the car going straight while traveling at about 65 MPH. This is something that we do not experience in our S2000 or ES300. What has been your experience with your C7 and RC F? I have read about wide tires and tramlining, but would hope to not experience it under normal conditions with the C7 or RC F. Thanks!
Haven't driven the stingray, but could it be possible due to the driver mode, I know the Stingray has a few different modes that affect throttle, steering, etc.
Old 12-20-14, 03:22 PM
Justa331
Driver School Candidate

I haven't noticed it in the RC-F.

In the C7, Z51 & mag ride, I haven't noticed it either. However, I do find myself making small adjustments, corrections possibly, occasionally. I have assumed it is simply a matter of my adjusting to the very precise C7 steering from a less sensitive car.

I find the steering in the C7 to be sensitive and very precise.

Our next door neighbor has a non Z51, non mag ride C7. He is a high mileage driver and has not mentioned it to me.

The lowered, coil overs, S2000, is VERY sensitive to tire pressure.

Yep, the C7 has a variety of electronic adjustments that effect the ride, handling, shift points in an auto, sound etc.

Mike