RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Snow & RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 01:09 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow & RC

Anyone had any chance of using the RC350 in snow yet? Never had a Lexus and was wondering how this car (AWD) handles in snow.

Looks like I'll find out soon enough in New York!
Old 12-07-14, 03:15 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an IS350 AWD and you will love your car in the snow, plenty of grip and a very secure feeling driving it

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Anyone had any chance of using the RC350 in snow yet? Never had a Lexus and was wondering how this car (AWD) handles in snow.

Looks like I'll find out soon enough in New York!
Old 12-07-14, 04:19 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my 3IS all last winter in hilly Connecticut with no issues at all with the OEM all season tires. The AWD worked flawlessly and the paddle shifters helped with slowing to safe stops.
Old 12-08-14, 05:49 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Thanks for the info - my previous car, an Infiniti G35 coupe was awful in the snow - seriously, I took my life in my hands anytime I drove that car with even the littlest of snow. Then I went to a front drive Honda Coupe, which was better.

Going to AWD in the 350, I'm hoping for even better results.

So far, at least this car doesn't bottom out every time I hit a driveway like the G35.
Old 12-08-14, 06:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Same as the others here. My IS350 is AWD and performs better than my AWD RX350 up to about 3" of snow, at which time I need the extra ground clearance of the RX. I would expect the RC350 AWD to be the same.
Old 12-08-14, 02:42 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the info - my previous car, an Infiniti G35 coupe was awful in the snow - seriously, I took my life in my hands anytime I drove that car with even the littlest of snow. Then I went to a front drive Honda Coupe, which was better.

Going to AWD in the 350, I'm hoping for even better results.

So far, at least this car doesn't bottom out every time I hit a driveway like the G35.
Did the G35 have winter tires? I assume not. They are livable with them, as are most RWD cars...
Old 12-10-14, 11:26 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

Nah, used the OEM all season tires. Still a sweet car - but I took my life in my hands every time I drove in the snow.
Old 12-10-14, 11:30 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Nah, used the OEM all season tires. Still a sweet car - but I took my life in my hands every time I drove in the snow.
Don't blame the car, blame the owner
Old 01-27-15, 06:37 AM
nylawyer
Rookie

So here in NY we've lived through (and survived) Blizzard2015. I am happy to say that my RC performed more than adequately in the snow.

I never felt that I wasn't in control or slid in the snow. The AWD and the SNOW setting made my ride as comforting and stable as driving my Jeep- and that's saying a lot!
Old 01-28-15, 08:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

So here in NY we've lived through (and survived) Blizzard2015. I am happy to say that my RC performed more than adequately in the snow.

I never felt that I wasn't in control or slid in the snow. The AWD and the SNOW setting made my ride as comforting and stable as driving my Jeep- and that's saying a lot!
Good to know, BTW was that on the OEM all season tires??
Old 01-29-15, 04:20 PM
Fishman350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add my two cents. I have an AWD F-Sport and live in Colorado. I have the stock all season tires on the car and have driven it in two fairly slick snow storms since the end of December. The traction was excellent, and I had no problems getting around in any area that I had clearance and actually a few that I didn't. The snow setting is helpful but really just appears to dial back throttle response. I came from an Acura RL which was tremendous in the snow and I didn't skip a beat with the new RC. Love it.
Old 01-30-15, 07:49 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I just returned from a drive in my AWD RC350 with the 19" wheels and standard tires on very slippery roads. No real snow, but the streets were wet and the temp below freezing, and many cars had slid into curbs, and a few into each other. I had no problems with traction, and my first impression is that this car handles much the same as my '04 RX330 AWD.
Old 02-13-15, 03:57 PM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I drove my 3IS all last winter in hilly Connecticut with no issues at all with the OEM all season tires. The AWD worked flawlessly and the paddle shifters helped with slowing to safe stops.
CtSFox
I'm also in CT and trying to decide what Lexus to buy in the spring. How is your gas mileage?
I know people say don't worry about it and enjoy, which I agree with, but a lot of them don't pay the out of control prices we do thanks to the b*&^% gas tax. Add premium into the mix and if the $/barrel price goes back through the roof again, you gotta figure it into TCO. I have found some MPG has varied by geographic region etc.
Old 02-14-15, 07:58 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That "b*&^% gas tax," just about the lowest in the world, is what pays for the roads you drive on.
Old 02-14-15, 05:04 PM
nylawyer
Rookie

Originally Posted by JT4
Good to know, BTW was that on the OEM all season tires??
Yup! Everything as I bought it

Quick Reply: Snow & RC