RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Leasing an RC 350 with Lexus - questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 12:47 PM
RC350Fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leasing an RC 350 with Lexus - questions

I'm very interested in leasing an RC 350 when they're available, but have some questions for those that have leased with Lexus before:

1. Everything I've read says not to put money down on a lease (in case of theft or an accident that totals the car - you lose the down payment). Does Lexus allow you to do that (knowing it will raise the monthly lease payment)?

2. I've also read that you can pay a (refundable) security deposit (or multiple) to reduce the money factor. Does Lexus allow you to do that?

3. Do you think Lexus would include this new model in their "December to Remember" program?

4. Any other tips for leasing a Lexus?

Being a potential "early adopter" of the RC 350, I doubt that Lexus will discount MSRP (typically the only negotiable), so I'm looking for ways to make leasing affordable.

This would be my first Lexus and my first car lease, so I appreciate all of your experience in advance.
Old 09-23-14, 03:24 PM
klrgoten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current car is a lease through Lexus and I'm pretty happy with the lease thus far.

1) Lexus will usually have a "drive off" amount that you will need to pay to take the car off the lot. Usually it's a small amount of money (depending on car). Usually 2-3k in my experience. If you can afford the lease payment with only putting in the drive off amount, do that. It isn't you car... so you are correct, if the car is totaled... it is your loss.

2) I haven't tried to do this so I'm not sure

3) I doubt the RC will be available during their end of year promo. I know they included the new 2014 IS last year but only the IS 250, not the IS 350.

4) Even though its a new car model, always try for those MSRP discounts. There is always some wiggle room and even if you can only squeeze out $1,000, that is still money in your pocket!
Old 09-23-14, 06:26 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Question 1, Rule of thumb is not to put any more money than need be for the reasons you mentioned to get your lease. Expect a high monthly payment though, guessing somewhere around $550.00 to $600.00 a month.
Question 2, You can do MSD with Lexus, 9 is allowed I believe, it will lower your Money Factor a bit.
Question 3, Not sure about D to Remember on a brand new model, I believe Lexus will try and get a feeling for demand before offering any deals. People on the West coast have multiple dealers to shop with so they get great deals out there. Not sure what you have for dealers in your shopping area, the more the better.
Question 4, I guess leasing with Lexus is not much different than others. The only thing you can really negotiate is the final price of the car, and the MF (money factor) this is the part of the lease that is similar to a financed loan. The residual price of car ( when lease is over) is set by Lexus and not negotiable. 27 or 36 months seems to be best term for a lease. Tier 1 credit should get you a MF of no more than .00085. Any higher than that and they are gouging you a bit.

I would expect to pay around list price for awhile on there cars. They are not going to be as available as the IS 250s or 350s f sports or not. I got around $1,800 of my IS 350 F sport around 6 months after they came out in the Northeast, so you may discounts eventually. If you order a car it will most likely be around MSRP.

The RC350 is one sweet looking car, and most likely be my next car when my lease is over in 2 years, That or the RC F but getting that one will be bit of a push, nice to have but not really needed.
Good luck no matter what you end up doing

Originally Posted by RC350Fan
I'm very interested in leasing an RC 350 when they're available, but have some questions for those that have leased with Lexus before:

1. Everything I've read says not to put money down on a lease (in case of theft or an accident that totals the car - you lose the down payment). Does Lexus allow you to do that (knowing it will raise the monthly lease payment)?

2. I've also read that you can pay a (refundable) security deposit (or multiple) to reduce the money factor. Does Lexus allow you to do that?

3. Do you think Lexus would include this new model in their "December to Remember" program?

4. Any other tips for leasing a Lexus?

Being a potential "early adopter" of the RC 350, I doubt that Lexus will discount MSRP (typically the only negotiable), so I'm looking for ways to make leasing affordable.

This would be my first Lexus and my first car lease, so I appreciate all of your experience in advance.
Old 09-24-14, 12:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You can put more money down and lower your payments. The average lease is a few thousand down, because the advertised low monthly payment is usually a stripper model with no options. It is entirely up to you what you feel more comfortable with (spending more now or spending more throughout the lease term).

As far as losing money if your car gets stolen or in an accident. That's pretty much dated thinking. .001% of people may have this problem today, and it's quickly dying off as time and tech progresses. There are insurances through Lexus, your personal insurance, and GAP that covers the hole. And lets not forget the car may come with some sort of telementary/tracking that will reveal it's location at all times. Not only will such a device possibly locate your car, but having it qualifies for lower insurance premiums. Finally, newer Lexuses are some of the least stolen vehicles around. Keep your key fob in your pocket and you are looking good.

So create a down and monthly payment that fits your finances best and don't worry about the rest.
Old 09-24-14, 06:34 AM
RC350Fan
Rookie

Thanks for the info, guys.

Do I purchase gap insurance from Lexus or from my insurance company? Is it expensive?

(I have a lot to learn about leasing!)
Old 09-24-14, 06:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nd-buying.html
Old 09-24-14, 07:02 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You can put more money down and lower your payments. The average lease is a few thousand down, because the advertised low monthly payment is usually a stripper model with no options. It is entirely up to you what you feel more comfortable with (spending more now or spending more throughout the lease term).

As far as losing money if your car gets stolen or in an accident. That's pretty much dated thinking. .001% of people may have this problem today, and it's quickly dying off as time and tech progresses. There are insurances through Lexus, your personal insurance, and GAP that covers the hole. And lets not forget the car may come with some sort of telementary/tracking that will reveal it's location at all times. Not only will such a device possibly locate your car, but having it qualifies for lower insurance premiums. Finally, newer Lexuses are some of the least stolen vehicles around. Keep your key fob in your pocket and you are looking good.

So create a down and monthly payment that fits your finances best and don't worry about the rest.
How is it dated? You put $7k down at time of lease signing and take off in your leased vehicle. Make the right out of the parking lot and smash into a fire hydrant and total the vehicle. How does insurance give you back your $7k? Insurance will pay the market value of the car (which hopefully your lease contract is less than the value of) to the lender.

The whole point of lease is to put down as little as possible and there is no benefit to doing otherwise. If you need to lower your monthly payments by using a down payment, then you are leasing above what you can afford monthly and should shop accordingly.

And on top of that, in most states you're paying taxes on that down payment.
Old 09-24-14, 10:25 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

I don;t know how you came with that percentage but you're wrong in many ways in your post.
Gap insurance pays off the the lease company if the payout is less than the payoff, it does not protect your equity and you won't see any money.
Putting money down on a lease it's a very bad decision and a risk people should not take. You can find better use for those money.
Old 09-24-14, 05:08 PM
klrgoten
Driver School Candidate

Any money you put down is gone if your car is totaled... the insurance co. will pay the market rate of the car to the issuing bank but if you put 5k into the car to reduce your cap, you won't see a penny of that.
Old 09-25-14, 05:46 AM
RC350Fan
Rookie

Thanks Klrgoten.

Given what you say above, it sounds like if I trade in a car to lease a new one, I would lose that trade amount if the car gets totaled, correct?

Man, I hate the hassle of selling it on my own.
Old 09-25-14, 11:56 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

If you are trading in something worth less that $5,000 or so its not that risky if you trade it in toward a lease. The value of a new car will drop probably $5,000 when you drive it off the lot anyway. Its not 100% true that you lose all of any down payment if you put in on a lease. There is a lease called a one pay lease where you pay the depreciation off on the car right away and at reduced interest rate if you do it. If the car is stolen or totaled early in the lease you would probably get something back, its still very risky to do this, any losses will come off your down payment. After 1 1/2 to 2 years into your lease you would most likely lose your whole down payment, but on the same token if you made 24 payments at $550.00 a month with no down payment you would be out $13,200 anyway. If you live in a safe area and the car is garaged at night make your own decision about how to lease the car. Myself, I have never even thought about a car being stolen of totaled when making a decision on what I was buying or how I was going to pay for it.

Originally Posted by RC350Fan
Thanks Klrgoten.

Given what you say above, it sounds like if I trade in a car to lease a new one, I would lose that trade amount if the car gets totaled, correct?

Man, I hate the hassle of selling it on my own.
Old 09-25-14, 12:50 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toyotatom
If you are trading in something worth less that $5,000 or so its not that risky if you trade it in toward a lease. The value of a new car will drop probably $5,000 when you drive it off the lot anyway. Its not 100% true that you lose all of any down payment if you put in on a lease. There is a lease called a one pay lease where you pay the depreciation off on the car right away and at reduced interest rate if you do it. If the car is stolen or totaled early in the lease you would probably get something back, its still very risky to do this, any losses will come off your down payment. After 1 1/2 to 2 years into your lease you would most likely lose your whole down payment, but on the same token if you made 24 payments at $550.00 a month with no down payment you would be out $13,200 anyway. If you live in a safe area and the car is garaged at night make your own decision about how to lease the car. Myself, I have never even thought about a car being stolen of totaled when making a decision on what I was buying or how I was going to pay for it.
Whatever amount you put down you should be prepared to lose the entire amount regardless of lease type. No one expects to be in an accident but it does happen. No matter what type of lease, the earlier a loss occurs in the lease, the more you risk to lose.

The method you speak of above (Method 1) is one of many ways to compute the single pay lease. Above is the one most beneficial to the customer and thus not used most frequently. The most frequent type:

Since a dealer’s “captive” finance company controls how leases are handled, it’s not normally negotiable as to which method is used to calculate pre-paid leases.

With this method, your monthly payment is calculated in the normal way (see Monthly Lease Payments), including sales tax, and assuming $0 cap cost reduction. That payment is then multiplied by the number of months in your lease (lease term), which gives you the amount of your single up-front payment. See our example below.

You save no money with this method, either on finance charges or sales tax, although you might get a discounted money factor (because of your large “down payment”), which does provide savings.

Examples – Compute a pre-paid lease using both methods

Method 1 Example: Let’s say the negotiated net capitalized cost (cap cost) of your new car is $40,000 and the lease-end residual value is $21,000 for a 36 month lease. The “depreciation value” on this car is $40,000 minus $21,000 = $19,000. As part of your single-pay lease, you pay the $19,000. You may also have to pay sales tax on that $19,000 depending on the state/county in which you live. If the rate is 6%, for example, the tax amount would be $19,000 x .06 = $1140.

Now, you’re left with the interest on the residual value, which is computed as Residual Value times 2 (see this article for explanation of lease formula) multiplied by Money Factor. With a Money Factor of .00238 (5.7% APR) this comes out to be $100/month. In most states, you must add sales tax to this amount (yes, we know it doesn’t make sense to tax finance charges but that’s the way state laws work). If your local tax rate is 6%, then the total computed monthly payment would be $106. Since you want to pre-pay this amount, multiply $106 by 36 months to get $3816.

So, your total lease pre-payment using Method 1 is $19,000 (depreciation payoff) plus $1140 (sales tax payoff) plus $3816 (residual finance charge payoff) = $23,956.

Method 2 Example: Same car as above, same price, same residual, and same money factor. In this example, the lease payment is computed (see Lease Calculator) assuming $0 cap cost reduction to be $673 + $32 tax = $705. Multiply by the lease term (36 months) to get $705 x 36 = $25,380 as your single lease payment.

Conclusions
The savings difference between Method 1 and Method 2 above is $25,380 minus $23,956 = $1424. For a $40,000 car, this savings difference is not very significant.
There is a possible disadvantage to single-pay car leases that should be considered.

If your car should be stolen or destroyed in an accident, your insurance would pay only the current market value of the vehicle, not the total amount you have invested in your lease. You would stand to lose a large chunk of your up front cash payment — the same loss you would incur if you had paid cash to purchase your car.

Contrast the above total-loss situation with a normal monthly payment lease. If you total your car, the lease company picks up financial responsibility for the difference between what you still owe on the lease and your insurance settlement. This is known as “gap” insurance and is automatically included in most leases. You would lose nothing except your insurance deductible. This is one of the benefits of leasing a car using little or no down payment cash.

Gap coverage, even if included in your pre-paid lease, provides no benefit to you. It does not cover your cash losses — exactly the same as if you purchased your car with cash. This risk is greatest in the early months of a pre-paid lease, and lessens as the lease nears its completion.
Old 09-25-14, 07:12 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I didn't say it was a great idea to do this type of lease. I did say you could lose a lot of any down payment depending on the circumstances. But you don't always lose 100% of your down payment especially on a one pay lease. Even the article you quoted from Lease Guide said be prepared to lose a good chunk of your down payment, meaning you could recoup some of it. That's all I said.
I disagree with your statement that the earlier a loss occurs in the lease, the more you risk to lose. Why would this be, wouldn't the insurance company pay off more the newer a car is than if it two years old.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Whatever amount you put down you should be prepared to lose the entire amount regardless of lease type. No one expects to be in an accident but it does happen. No matter what type of lease, the earlier a loss occurs in the lease, the more you risk to lose.

The method you speak of above (Method 1) is one of many ways to compute the single pay lease. Above is the one most beneficial to the customer and thus not used most frequently. The most frequent type:
Old 10-13-14, 04:45 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotatom
I didn't say it was a great idea to do this type of lease. I did say you could lose a lot of any down payment depending on the circumstances. But you don't always lose 100% of your down payment especially on a one pay lease. Even the article you quoted from Lease Guide said be prepared to lose a good chunk of your down payment, meaning you could recoup some of it. That's all I said.
I disagree with your statement that the earlier a loss occurs in the lease, the more you risk to lose. Why would this be, wouldn't the insurance company pay off more the newer a car is than if it two years old.
I'm under the impression that if you get to an accident under a lease, let's say a total loss, that the insurance will only pay the lessor and no one else. In that case, anything you put on the down payment is lost.
Old 10-15-14, 11:10 AM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
I'm under the impression that if you get to an accident under a lease, let's say a total loss, that the insurance will only pay the lessor and no one else. In that case, anything you put on the down payment is lost.
You can purchase Theft Avert/Vin Etch from dealerships like ourselves and it will cover up to $5000 of what you put down towards a new Lexus in the event the vehicle is stolen. That is one solution. If your vehicle is in an accident and total loss then your money down is not recoverable. That is the risk you take putting money down on a lease, the slight chance you do get into an accident then your money down is gone.

Quick Reply: Leasing an RC 350 with Lexus - questions