RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Ever driven a car with four-wheel steering?

Old 08-22-14, 04:01 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever driven a car with four-wheel steering?

Just posted this on the blog.

I've driven all kinds of crazy cars, but never one with a system like the one on the RC. If you have, what's it like? If it was an option, would you pay for it?

Old 08-22-14, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully they don't restrict it like they do on the GS
Old 08-28-14, 01:57 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, but it was a Sierra C3 with Quadra Steer. Totally different kind of thing.
Old 08-29-14, 03:03 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=IB Editor;8682054]Just posted this on the blog.

I've driven all kinds of crazy cars, but never one with a system like the one on the RC. If you have, what's it like? If it was an option, would you pay for it?

[/QUOTE

I have it on my GS450h, iam not sure if its on all the time or only activated when you put it in sport +, , it does seem to take less movement in the steering wheel to turn corners and change lanes when in sport+, but this may just be because it also alters the steering ration in sport+, I don’t think its something I would personally pay extra for.
Old 08-29-14, 03:55 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It actually does make a tangible difference in reducing the turning radius of the car, making it behave like a much smaller vehicle and increasing agility in tight corners :

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...ng-circle.html
Old 08-29-14, 04:09 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive driven the GS450h F Sport. It was the car i was going to buy until the RX450h F Sport came out!

Its certainly an experience. It hangs on like a housefly round the corners and motorway lane changing is awesome. Its just so quick! Its so good, Id happily pay for it. Feels much safer on the motorway too, knowing that you can pretty much avoid any hazard.
Old 09-07-14, 11:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

A good handful of 90's sportscars from Japan had a form of 4WS and a small handful of luxury models from Toyota and Nissan had it (Japanese market only). That's basically what this is on the RC350 although Toyota has probably found a way to make it an active system rather than a passive one.

In this country, the Nissan Z32 300ZX Twin Turbo, early 90's 240SX and the 3000GT VR-4 had 4WS systems which were hydraulic (I believe they were all hydraulic). The Prelude of the late 80's had a hydraulic 4WS system and later it was changed to some electronic form of the same thing. In all cases I don't believe the rear wheel angle changed dynamically. Every angle change was pre-determined. Criticism at least of the 300ZX was that it gave a strange feeling to lane changes. Jim Wolf Tuning famously created a 4WS eliminator for the 300ZX. I'm not sure whether or not the current R35 GTR has 4WS or not but the 1989-2002 GT-R's did. The Toyota Soarer (SC) also had a 4WS trim level.

Personally I like the idea on larger and heavier cars especially now that these rear steer systems seem to have become dynamic rather than passive.

Edit: I wasn't aware that the current GS range had been given this option. I bet it does make a big difference in turning radius.
Old 09-08-14, 11:31 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I had 4WS on my '06 G35 Coupe. It was fantastic driving dynamics, great handling. When you change lanes on the hwy going 80mph you only need to nudge the steering wheel and you're in the next lane. 4WS makes steering tighter and more responsive. I love it.. I'm glad Lexus finally provides this option. The RC will be a fun car to drive with this option/feature.
Old 09-09-14, 09:26 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I gave up coupes but this one got me thinking, just wish it came with a different engine....
Old 09-28-14, 08:40 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
A good handful of 90's sportscars from Japan had a form of 4WS and a small handful of luxury models from Toyota and Nissan had it (Japanese market only). That's basically what this is on the RC350 although Toyota has probably found a way to make it an active system rather than a passive one.

In this country, the Nissan Z32 300ZX Twin Turbo, early 90's 240SX and the 3000GT VR-4 had 4WS systems which were hydraulic (I believe they were all hydraulic). The Prelude of the late 80's had a hydraulic 4WS system and later it was changed to some electronic form of the same thing. In all cases I don't believe the rear wheel angle changed dynamically. Every angle change was pre-determined. Criticism at least of the 300ZX was that it gave a strange feeling to lane changes. Jim Wolf Tuning famously created a 4WS eliminator for the 300ZX. I'm not sure whether or not the current R35 GTR has 4WS or not but the 1989-2002 GT-R's did. The Toyota Soarer (SC) also had a 4WS trim level.

Personally I like the idea on larger and heavier cars especially now that these rear steer systems seem to have become dynamic rather than passive.

Edit: I wasn't aware that the current GS range had been given this option. I bet it does make a big difference in turning radius.

Exactly this. Some people will appreciate it, and some will not. But for the majority of folk, it doesn't matter. I have had 3000GT VR4 with 4WS before for years.

Pros: good to turn at corners, but the weight get to it. Felt like the car was going to huge the corner, but the G feel just throw it off.
Cons: weight, leaks, speed specific

If the inputs were neither any of the predetermined valued variable inputs, the car feel off. It creates a feeling the car feels off sometimes....to be exact, you do not have that confident needed.

The LDH in the RC maybe more tuned and better than the past VR4, but it is still computerized. Do you trust computers and the researcher, programmers ? I don't, especially under extreme conditions such as out of control...split moment before the accident. An accurate feeling, and sync between the driver and the car are critical to avoid the accident.

That is why I chose the Subaru STI, look up the clip about these cars avoiding accidents. It is amazing. Pure mechanically confident and feelings.

The only bad thing about Subaru = engine reliability! and features.... can't have everything

To turn the car better, you can always varies wheels torque to create that steer...doesn't really need 4WS
Old 10-25-14, 12:53 PM
TonyCarson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my 1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo for 8 years, it has HICAS rear wheel steering. At first I thought it was neat, when changing lanes or at speed it definitely made for smooth transition...problem is I felt it fighting me when I would go to the track or try to drive aggressively with sharp turns. Also since it was 1990, and one of the earlier systems of HICAS, it used hydraulic system (it used ATF in combination with the power steering system). The problem with this was the extremely high pressure caused a lot of the hoses to leak very badly at about the 20 year mark, and it got messy!. (I know, 20 years is quite a while for hoses to last, but still....they were $400 to replace them all).

In the end I actually deleted the HICAS from my Z...I think if you are going to track the car or drive it aggressively it gets in the way (although I am not sure if it is different now days), but if you drive spirited and it is more of a touring car for you I think it is great.

Skip to 4:15