RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 12:26 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, possibly there will be RC350 soon, which will be sold in USA (not in Europe) and RC200t and RC300h might follow few months later.

MT had all the info, it is awesome update, just the block remained the same.... it is very high tech engine. Nobody is talking about technology or anything else, kind of disappointing.

480 hp
Cylinder heads and all moving parts are completely new in the V8
7300 rpm redline
Atkinson cycle while cruising, displacement effectively lowered to 4.2l in this mode.
12.3:1 compression
Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD)
15" Brembos, 4 pistons at back
so instead of cylinder deactivation, as rumored, they use atkinson cycle at part throttle? nice. can Eco mode turn on atkinson cycle? that'd be super cool...

Last edited by madfast; 01-09-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 02:03 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Below is the exposed Chasis image for the RC 350.. The RC F should be similiar, if not the same..
Minus the Carbon Roof which I feel will be "Optional"
The Blog article from the developer mentioned this:

“The LFA remains at the top of the F models, and it influences how we approach a project,” said Yaguchi. “We try to follow its direction as much as possible, so for instance the airflow is inspired by it, especially for cooling, we have an active rear wing that deploys above 50mph, the sound of the engine is tuned to emulate the LFA sound and the optional carbonfibre bonnet and roof are made by the same company as made the carbonfibre for the LFA.”

Carbonfibre bonnet also? I wonder if both will be optional and come together in a pack? or available individually. And it looks like there's been some Yamaha sound tuning for the engine too! If it sounds anything like the LFA, then we'll be in aural heaven
Old 01-09-14, 02:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe you're referring to same, but i'm talking about these holes not the large grill vents on the far left/right.
brake cooling ducts, on the 3IS F Sport you can even look through the duct and see the brakes
Old 01-09-14, 02:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
Carbonfibre bonnet also? I wonder if both will be optional and come together in a pack? or available individually.
Unfortunately, at least according to Car and Driver, the carbon fiber hood won't make it to the states.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Lexus tells us that a carbon-fiber package will be available, which will include a roof and spoiler made from the lightweight weave, and in certain countries that aren’t abbreviated “U.S.,” a carbon-fiber hood.
Old 01-09-14, 02:13 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Blog article from the developer mentioned this:

“The LFA remains at the top of the F models, and it influences how we approach a project,” said Yaguchi. “We try to follow its direction as much as possible, so for instance the airflow is inspired by it, especially for cooling, we have an active rear wing that deploys above 50mph, the sound of the engine is tuned to emulate the LFA sound and the optional carbonfibre bonnet and roof are made by the same company as made the carbonfibre for the LFA.”

Carbonfibre bonnet also? I wonder if both will be optional and come together in a pack? or available individually. And it looks like there's been some Yamaha sound tuning for the engine too! If it sounds anything like the LFA, then we'll be in aural heaven
No chance it sounds like the LFA, videos of it running around the Nur' sounds similar to the ISF
Old 01-09-14, 02:27 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Danielle@Vossen
Mike says we might get our hands on one in April

let's see a shot with the CV5's in graphite.....
Old 01-09-14, 02:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
No chance it sounds like the LFA, videos of it running around the Nur' sounds similar to the ISF
Yup, it needs the LFA's engine to sounds like the LFA.
Old 01-09-14, 03:03 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yup, it needs the LFA's engine to sounds like the LFA.
I didn't mean it has to sound EXACTLY like an LFA. Of course, it's not a 9000rpm rated V10. I wondered if it will have the same sort of aural setup (dedicated hardware channeling sound into the cabin etc) that the LFA had.

Of course, there's also the BMW route with their Active Sound Design technology, which uses the speakers to replicate and amplify the engine sound into the cabin.
Old 01-09-14, 03:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't mean it has to sound EXACTLY like an LFA. Of course, it's not a 9000rpm rated V10. I wondered if it will have the same sort of aural setup (dedicated hardware channeling sound into the cabin etc) that the LFA had.

Of course, there's also the BMW route with their Active Sound Design technology, which uses the speakers to replicate and amplify the engine sound into the cabin.
Sound pipes into the cabin is very possible, quite a few cars have it now a days since the LFA did it.
Old 01-09-14, 03:43 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sound pipes into the cabin is very possible, quite a few cars have it now a days since the LFA did it.
It's definitely plausible considering the 3IS and 4GS both have intake sound generators.
Old 01-09-14, 04:28 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG....can i dream of owning one ?
Old 01-09-14, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

MotorTrend via Lexus Enthusiast:
Making its debut on the RC is a new infotainment controller that swaps the old haptic mouse for a haptic touchpad. You can’t write letters on it with your fingers like in an Audi, but as you swipe across it, the pad provides vibrations and feedback to ease menu selections.
uh...what? If true, this is one step forward, two steps back. Whats the point of creating a touch pad if you can't draw letters...

My guess is that they would have had to redesign all the keyboard screens and Lexus has been so lazy about redesigning their interface. The whole reason they went with remote touch was so that they could using existing touch screen software and still move the nav screen further up. They need to make the touchpad with active lights too, meaning the crosshairs should disappear or appear depending on screen.
Old 01-09-14, 05:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
They need to make the touchpad with active lights too, meaning the crosshairs should disappear or appear depending on screen.
no they dont.
Old 01-09-14, 05:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
MotorTrend via Lexus Enthusiast:

uh...what? If true, this is one step forward, two steps back. Whats the point of creating a touch pad if you can't draw letters...

My guess is that they would have had to redesign all the keyboard screens and Lexus has been so lazy about redesigning their interface. The whole reason they went with remote touch was so that they could using existing touch screen software and still move the nav screen further up. They need to make the touchpad with active lights too, meaning the crosshairs should disappear or appear depending on screen.
I am just glad the car look hot with a NA V8, the pad is a minor detail
Old 01-09-14, 05:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
so instead of cylinder deactivation, as rumored, they use atkinson cycle at part throttle? nice. can Eco mode turn on atkinson cycle? that'd be super cool...
yes, although not just when eco, all the time when you are not accelerating hard basically. It is up to 30% more efficient.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread