RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 02:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveL1
Was at a Lexus dealer today and the salesman said that the RC coupe will be more like the GS inside than the IS. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The GS interior has a lot more luxurious feel to it and the added contrast stitching on the dash and door panels are a nice touch. Wife is looking for an upscale coupe and if the RC ends up with an interior similar to the GS, it will likely be our first Lexus.
Based on the pics it's more of an upscale IS interior in terms of ergonomics and design (which are great in the IS as is IMO.) If the materials are upgraded then they have a winner for sure.
Old 11-23-13, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Was at a Lexus dealer today and the salesman said that the RC coupe will be more like the GS inside than the IS. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The GS interior has a lot more luxurious feel to it and the added contrast stitching on the dash and door panels are a nice touch. Wife is looking for an upscale coupe and if the RC ends up with an interior similar to the GS, it will likely be our first Lexus.
It is 3IS interior, but more leather and wood inside. It does look more luxurious than IS.
It is not going to be GS interior though... but it still looks nice.
Old 11-23-13, 03:41 PM
SteveL1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other question is if the Cashmere/Parchment interior color will be available and if so, will the carpet and head liner be the same color? Seems that the current trend for almost all mfg's is to go with dark carpet and headliners in any car that has a hint of sport to it. My wife's preferred color combo is Black exterior with a Cashmere interior but it MUST have a light headliner and the less dark trim the better. The only interior photos released so far for the RC has way too much black for her taste.

She would have ordered a new 435i x-drive M-Sport BMW 3 weeks ago if she could have gotten a light head liner in the M-Sport. And she fell in love with the Infinity Q60XS this morning until we found out that you can't get the Wheat interior in the coupe.
Old 11-23-13, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, we wont see US production options for 3-4 months at least.

Keep in mind that she would probably have to wait for 10-12 months for RC, from now.
Old 11-23-13, 03:53 PM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
It was reported that hard cutting belt line that goes over last quarter of the car will be less cutting. Don't know if its going to impact other details like that other hard cutting line at the front or any other details for that matter.
assuming the RCF spy pics are production sheet metal, the belt line still looks pretty good.

Old 11-23-13, 04:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus' own press release states that this car is production, creases and all:

TOKYO (Nov. 20, 2013) - Lexus unveiled its striking new production-ready RC coupe, scheduled for launch in 2014, at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show. The RC raises Lexus' profile with a broader audience, injecting emotional appeal into the Lexus DNA which has become well known for building quality, refinement and reliability.
Old 11-23-13, 04:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

quite often, translated japanese interviews dont end up being 100% correct... so it could be just that, who really knows.
Old 11-23-13, 05:25 PM
SteveL1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, we wont see US production options for 3-4 months at least.

Keep in mind that she would probably have to wait for 10-12 months for RC, from now.
She waited basically 18 months only to find out that the 435i M-Sport would not be available in the color combination that she wanted and was available at that time in the 3 series. Waited 9 months for a first year Z-3 roadster and has been married to me for 38 years. Yep, she's pretty patient all right.
Old 11-23-13, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

She waited basically 18 months only to find out that the 435i M-Sport would not be available in the color combination that she wanted and was available at that time in the 3 series. Waited 9 months for a first year Z-3 roadster and has been married to me for 38 years. Yep, she's pretty patient all right.
Sounds awesome to me, welcome to the club, lucky man
Old 11-24-13, 02:27 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mind18
Where is it noted that this isn't the production version? I really hope at least the headlight lighting remains the same. It's time to move away from traditional projector setup and add more design flair to their headlights.
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Lexus' own press release states that this car is production, creases and all:
I guess people who say it's not production ready may be because of this quote from the chief engineer:

Furuyama-san also suggested the new RC coupe may differ slightly in production guise, despite Lexus suggesting the new model was a production-ready vehicle prior to its unveiling at this week's Tokyo motor show.
“I want to produce it exactly the same as this car,” he says. “But there is some difficult portions to produce. We need a little adjustment for mass production,” he states, before pointing out that the sharply creased panel line from the door to the tail-light may be toned down on the real deal.
However, he indicates the lines may change even further, as a convertible model may be less than two years away from production, despite a drop-top version being “a little bit difficult”
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...119-2xs0p.html
Old 11-24-13, 08:51 AM
Mind18
Driver

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I guess people who say it's not production ready may be because of this quote from the chief engineer:

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...119-2xs0p.html
Thanks for the reference. You would think that if that was the case, they would have deemed it a "concept." Or maybe something is just getting lost in translation.
Old 11-24-13, 09:36 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mind18
Thanks for the reference. You would think that if that was the case, they would have deemed it a "concept." Or maybe something is just getting lost in translation.
It makes no sense for Lexus to release two concepts for the same car. We had the LFCC concept, and now this is the production version.
Old 11-24-13, 02:40 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont know if this was asked already, but what happened to GS style taillights? The lights on the RC are totally different compared to the spy pics. Or maybe we'll see them on the RC-F?

Old 11-24-13, 02:46 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I dont know if this was asked already, but what happened to GS style taillights? The lights on the RC are totally different compared to the spy pics. Or maybe we'll see them on the RC-F?
I know automakers will often use tails from a current car they have since the tails are mandatory to drive around town but they don't want to give away styling cues.
Old 11-24-13, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Other question is if the Cashmere/Parchment interior color will be available and if so, will the carpet and head liner be the same color?
I doubt it. Parchment/cream interiors are a little outdated, and the antithesis of sport, my guess is since it comes in Flaxen you won't have parchment. The "sport" oriented cars in the Lexus lineup, the IS & GS don't have a parchment option, and the RC seems to be much more along that line.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread