RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 12:59 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looks like the interior is IS based. Not loving the temp control lay out.
The temp control is a hit with new IS owners, I think its prettey simple yet slick.
Old 11-05-13, 01:39 PM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
both "RC-F" and "RC350" brands were trademarked at the same time
Sweet, I did not know that!
Old 11-05-13, 01:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

looks like the interior is IS based. Not loving the temp control lay out.
it is 3IS based, with more leather and more upscale touches everywhere...
Old 11-05-13, 01:53 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

other than the vent in the rear bumper behind the wheels its a good looking car
Old 11-05-13, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
The temp control is a hit with new IS owners, I think its prettey simple yet slick.
of my two weeks with the new IS and bunch of random passengers, most of them actually not a fan of the temp controls. it's a cool feature for about 10 seconds until they found it hard to really adjust the temp to exact number, or when they were playing with radio and accidentally changing the temp
Old 11-05-13, 03:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
of my two weeks with the new IS and bunch of random passengers, most of them actually not a fan of the temp controls. it's a cool feature for about 10 seconds until they found it hard to really adjust the temp to exact number, or when they were playing with radio and accidentally changing the temp
I felt the same way during the test drive ( only 20 min). I like the traditional old school dial or buttons.
Old 11-05-13, 03:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It would be nice to see them open up the 3.5L V6 a bit and increase the redline, considering that this is a coupe and not a four door sedan, but that redline looks to be the exact same as the IS and GS 350
also a 25 HP bump wouldnt be bad either to keep up with the others and to make owners feel like they got something more than their old IS350s had
Old 11-05-13, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I felt the same way during the test drive ( only 20 min). I like the traditional old school dial or buttons.
i can only say after sliding my fingers over the control a few times, i went back to tapping the ^ and v to get the temp i wanted.

it's very cool for sure, but maybe it can use more refinement
Old 11-05-13, 06:29 PM
LexFather

There was another dealer meeting in Vegas today…a lot of RC-F talk
Old 11-05-13, 07:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
its bout time
It was bout time long time ago!
Old 11-05-13, 07:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have waited so long for a coupe to make me not even look at BMW's or Audi. I like the RC coupe but not as much as I could. The car looks a little awkward. I'm sure it will grow on me but I'm tired of Lexus models that have to grow on me. I want it to smack me right off.
Old 11-05-13, 07:41 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
There was another dealer meeting in Vegas today…a lot of RC-F talk
Any tasty bits of information about the car's performance/specs?
Old 11-05-13, 10:49 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc color ops

some quick colors.
Attached Thumbnails Official Lexus RC thread-rc-blu.png   Official Lexus RC thread-rc-orange.png  
Old 11-06-13, 01:35 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
I have waited so long for a coupe to make me not even look at BMW's or Audi. I like the RC coupe but not as much as I could. The car looks a little awkward. I'm sure it will grow on me but I'm tired of Lexus models that have to grow on me. I want it to smack me right off.
The RC F Sport or RC F might be the one you are waiting for, if you liked the IS F Sport and its design cues.
Old 11-06-13, 01:43 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(MotorTrend) 2015 Lexus RC First Look
Lexus subtracts some doors, adds some sexy
By Michael Shaffer | November 03, 2013

If you believe – before seeing the 2015 Lexus RC – that Lexus lacks excitement in their lineup of hybrids and SUVs, then Junichi Furuyama, chief engineer of some of the Toyota’s luxury division’s most important projects, is right there with you.

The fact that the average Lexus customer is about ten years older than say, Audi’s, is not lost on the man behind the new IS. While all manufacturers are banging their heads on whiteboards hoping an idea that appeals to younger buyers rattles out, Furuyama has a pretty simple solution to sex up the big L: a really good-looking Coupe.

“Of the entire Lexus lineup” Furuyama tells me, “there are only two models in the sporty and specialty segment. The IS-F and the IS-C.” The IS-F is a fine example in the classic American practice of sticking a big burly V8 in a car it was not necessarily intended for. As well as this formula works in the IS-F it isn’t necessarily a sports car from the ground up. The IS-C is sexy only in that it catches your attention the same way a bawdy blonde on the beach does -- by going topless. So to fill this hole in the lineup, Lexus developed a coupe designed to be a coupe from the beginning.

The 2015 RC is unmistakably a Lexus. Look no further than the family-staple Spindle Grille that stretches even further and more taught across the low, wide nose. The radical, detached Nike Swoosh/Fish-Hook LED DRLs from the new IS still sit separated by a hunk of the bumper below the primary projector housing. The new LED headlights comprise three ‘L’s for the low beam – a design element that, according to one designer, Lexus has been trying to incorporate for a while.

Beyond the love-it or loathe-it Predator grille everyone by now at least expects, and relatively busy headlight design, the RC is refreshingly restrained from the front fender flare on back. This is, of course, in comparison to extreme examples like the LF-LC or LF-NX concepts Lexus has introduced recently. One editor points out if you cover the nose of the car with your hand (go ahead, give it shot); the profile is barely indistinguishable from the Honda Accord Coupe, for better or worse.

Moving inside the sleek, two-door body, anyone that has spent some time with the contemporary Lexus line will feel right at home. Though they’ve been rearranged a bit, all the familiar switchgear is neatly laid about the cabin. The shifter from a GS sits aside the drive-mode select wheel and below them is the touch-pad that replaces the mouse-like control toggle introduced on the LFA.

This particular concept is fitted with the same “Integrated Foaming” seats found in the new IS Sport models. It’s a process Lexus recently adopted that ultimately involves placing the seat covers inside a mold to be filled, rather than molding the filling then placing the cover over it. This allows for more complicated seat designs and shapes in the cushioning otherwise not possible. Two rear buckets are suitable for smaller occupants or short rides. This may be just enough for the singles and couples in their 30s and 40s Furuyama says the RC targets.

So what’s on the docket to propel the potential four passengers in Lexus’ new Sport Coupe? The RC350 badging in these pictures is a good indication the tried and true 3.5-liter V6 will be a popular choice. A 2.5-liter Hybrid powertrain will also be available. When asked if it will be a performance-oriented hybrid system a la the Infiniti or Acura units, Furuyama said “The Hybrid system for this car is going to be the same as the Lexus Hybrid Drive System found on the IS”. So anticipate something closer to Camry Hybrid efficiency than NSX like acceleration.

Speaking of the IS, in asking Furuyama why Lexus wouldn’t use the brand awareness of their most popular sedan and just call this the IS-Coupe, he explained, “One thing I want to emphasize, the aim of introducing this new model RC is to add a new level of excitement to the existing Lexus lineup. This is not an IS Coupe, it is the RC, a new coupe in its own right. It is an independent model. It’s not a deviated version of the IS so it has its own unique styling and its own unique performance

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2015_lexus_rc/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-06-13 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread