RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Not a fan of Active Sound Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 04:17 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Not a fan of Active Sound Control

Have had my RC-F for a week now, and while I am so far loving the car, I'm not a fan of ACS. I searched around through various menus looking for a way to turn it off but no such luck. My dislike is because it's not real - sounds artificial. The car seems deceptively quick to me so far, I have to really get my foot into it but when I do it responds - but the ACS sort of makes it seem like it's doing more than it really is. My take on the ACS is that it is not a replacement for a throatier exhaust, which I think is what the car needs and what I'll be looking for as the first major mod.

Other opinions / recommended exhaust systems?
Old 07-02-15, 05:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Have you found the fuse or unplugged the speaker yet ???

Does the stock exhaust have valves?

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 07-02-15, 06:28 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blame the customer for that. People want a quieter car and Lexus develops silky smooth engines and incorporates sound deadening materials throughout. Then they complain they want a louder more visceral experience so Lexus develops ASC. Now people are complaining about that.

An aftermarket exhaust should be the solution. But keep in mind its a GT car. If you want a visceral auditory experience you need to look at the coyote V8 in the mustang. But I wouldn't go near one.
Old 07-02-15, 08:43 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Blame the customer for that. People want a quieter car and Lexus develops silky smooth engines and incorporates sound deadening materials throughout. Then they complain they want a louder more visceral experience so Lexus develops ASC. Now people are complaining about that.

An aftermarket exhaust should be the solution. But keep in mind its a GT car. If you want a visceral auditory experience you need to look at the coyote V8 in the mustang. But I wouldn't go near one.
Your point is well taken. This is my first Lexus, and I appreciate the sound deadening effort. I'm really just saying that an option to turn off ASC would have been good.
Old 07-02-15, 08:45 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Yeah no thanks on the Mustang. I'm less of a fan of those than ASC by far. I think a good aftermarket exhaust will make all the difference.
Old 07-02-15, 09:43 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Yeah no thanks on the Mustang. I'm less of a fan of those than ASC by far. I think a good aftermarket exhaust will make all the difference.
I agree that the aftermarket exhaust system makes a huge difference, but the ASC is only active when it is in Sport + mode, so if you don't like the sound of it, just drive it on the other modes or upgrade to a aftermarket exhaust system like I did.
Old 07-02-15, 11:15 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCF500
I agree that the aftermarket exhaust system makes a huge difference, but the ASC is only active when it is in Sport + mode, so if you don't like the sound of it, just drive it on the other modes or upgrade to a aftermarket exhaust system like I did.
What exhaust are you running?
Old 07-03-15, 12:03 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
What exhaust are you running?
GTHaus Meisterschaft GTC exhaust system, I just updated my build thread with new exhaust videos if you want to check them out.
Old 07-03-15, 08:21 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone post how to remove that fuse? Also will it cause any other issues like a CEL?
Old 07-03-15, 08:26 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I had no idea about this and have to say this is pretty lame to have fake engine noise. C/mon Lexus. What the heck are you thinking?
Old 07-03-15, 08:58 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I had no idea about this and have to say this is pretty lame to have fake engine noise. C/mon Lexus. What the heck are you thinking?
Lol! I Couldn't Believe it when i'd heard this on here, i mean REALLY! I haven't had anybody ask me about this when they've rode in the car & i'm Sure NOT going to Bring it Up if they Don't!
Old 07-03-15, 09:17 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Can someone post how to remove that fuse? Also will it cause any other issues like a CEL?
Exactly, anybody have info on this? So even if I go aftermarket exhaust then there is still the issue of ASC on top of that, which probably would really sound lame.
Old 07-03-15, 04:11 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
90% of the foods Americans buy is processed. Chemically altered with additives, "natural flavorings", etc. I don't see why ANC is any lamer than the fast food burger the average joe has for lunch.
Old 07-03-15, 08:36 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

90% of the foods Americans buy is processed. Chemically altered with additives, "natural flavorings", etc. I don't see why ANC is any lamer than the fast food burger the average joe has for lunch.
Yep, but THIS makes the Burgers taste Better! i Don't think the Fake Engine Noise IMPROVES the Sound of the RCF!
Old 07-03-15, 11:11 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Yep, but THIS makes the Burgers taste Better! i Don't think the Fake Engine Noise IMPROVES the Sound of the RCF!
Agree, it sounds like it's doing more than it is really doing. I see in the owner's manual that on the 350 it is possible to turn it off. I can't figure out why Lexus didn't put that option in the F

Quick Reply: Not a fan of Active Sound Control