RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Adding an amp and subwoofer to the ML system

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 09:32 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding an amp and subwoofer to the ML system

Hey fellas! Anyone on here added an additional amp and subwoofer to their Mark Levinson sound system? I am trying to hook up a Scosche Line-Out Converter with Bass Control and dont know what wires to tap into. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance fellas!

- Art
Old 07-04-15, 02:17 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Updated with Wiring Diagram

UPDATE:

Finally installed my JBL GT 10" sub and JBL GTO 501 ! I used a Scosche LOC2SL line out convertor connecting to the subwoofer out on the ML amp. Although I wish I ended up getting a more quality LOC like AudioControl's LC2, the Scosche seems to do the job just fine.

I attached the wiring diagram for the Mark Levinson 17 Speaker Amplifier, same ML Amp found in the 4th Gen GS.

Subwoofer (+) is the #21 Blue Wire on the T40 Plug
Subwoofer (-) is the #6 White/gray Wire on the T40 Plug
ACC (Remote Turn-on) is the #8 White Wire on the T49 Plug

The following users liked this post:
jefthim (04-21-24)
Old 07-04-15, 05:04 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Right on, how does it sound?!
Old 06-04-16, 05:24 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring diagram you posted shows that the subwoofer is on #6 and #21 on the T40 Plug. According to the diagram those wires are red and white. You said you tapped a blue wire?
Old 06-05-16, 12:17 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah. How does it sound. I have 2 12s from my 3Gis that I have been staring at. I'd like to know if it's worth putting in. Yet, I have the lc2i and remote bass ****. The option to turn the sub down was the only way I wanted to do it since some passengers are too sensitive
Old 08-06-16, 06:24 PM
kc96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's blue and gray

Originally Posted by Runamok81
The wiring diagram you posted shows that the subwoofer is on #6 and #21 on the T40 Plug. According to the diagram those wires are red and white. You said you tapped a blue wire?
The wire colors are different in rc. Blue and gray! Just finished mine.
Old 03-05-17, 07:30 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Any updates to this? Id like to see where you placed the sub and your sound check?
Old 10-19-21, 11:26 PM
Idunno
7th Gear

Anyone know where to tap into a 12V source that isn’t constant? Having trouble getting 12V power to my JL Audio LOC so I can install my sub on my RCF.
Old 09-01-22, 07:07 PM
carlos0211
2nd gear

Originally Posted by JB5674
Yeah. How does it sound. I have 2 12s from my 3Gis that I have been staring at. I'd like to know if it's worth putting in. Yet, I have the lc2i and remote bass ****. The option to turn the sub down was the only way I wanted to do it since some passengers are too sensitive
do you remember which was the remote wire on the 3gis ml amp
Old 09-01-22, 07:09 PM
carlos0211
2nd gear

Originally Posted by aWorkOfArt
UPDATE:

Finally installed my JBL GT 10" sub and JBL GTO 501 ! I used a Scosche LOC2SL line out convertor connecting to the subwoofer out on the ML amp. Although I wish I ended up getting a more quality LOC like AudioControl's LC2, the Scosche seems to do the job just fine.

I attached the wiring diagram for the Mark Levinson 17 Speaker Amplifier, same ML Amp found in the 4th Gen GS.

where did you connect the power and ground coming from the loc2sl
Old 09-02-22, 08:28 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Happy to see that other owners are underwhelmed with the sound quality of the "extra $pecial" Mark Levinson system in this car. I expected the separation to be poor (small space), I expected the sound to be thin (small speakers), but I didn't expect how poorly the system compensates for road noise. I don't know if an active sound canceling system would be helpful, though.
Old 09-02-22, 08:45 AM
RandallNYC
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorTPD
Happy to see that other owners are underwhelmed with the sound quality of the "extra $pecial" Mark Levinson system in this car. I expected the separation to be poor (small space), I expected the sound to be thin (small speakers), but I didn't expect how poorly the system compensates for road noise. I don't know if an active sound canceling system would be helpful, though.
I traded in a 2017 Porsche Macan S with Bose system for my RC-F. The ML system is way better. I also have an Infiniti QX80 with Bose, ML is way better. I used to have a 2016 and 2012 MDX Technology Package with ELS. ML kicks ELS’s butt by a wide margin too. So my question is what OEM system have you heard that beats ML? ML just seems unbeatable. I hope you don’t start naming RR and Bentley because that’s not fair.
Old 09-02-22, 09:05 AM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallNYC
. So my question is what OEM system have you heard that beats ML? ML just seems unbeatable. I hope you don’t start naming RR and Bentley because that’s not fair.
Well, my wife's old 2008 ES 350 with OEM (not ML) system was better to my ear. Probably because the cabin itself was much better insulated against road noise. My current Lincoln Revel system (19 speakers and active noise cancelation) is far and away superior to any system I've had previously (including home theater sound system in my house). I had bose in a couple mercedes and they were pretty good and (IMO) better than the sound in the RC. I think it is more of the sound "field" is so tiny in the RC cabin, but more annoying is the road noise compensation is poor. I should not have to increase volume manually just because I driving over a less than perfect road. I "get it" that it is a sporty car and more folks want to hear the engine, but I don't think many folks want to hear the tires.
Old 09-06-22, 08:44 AM
Louczar1
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd love to see some pics of the woofer placement if you have it.
Old 09-06-22, 02:42 PM
NYCRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the ML system in the RCF is pretty damn good for OEM. If you want better sound dampening, you could always apply some second skin or dynamat.

Quick Reply: Adding an amp and subwoofer to the ML system