RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Do you have any orange peel in you RC-F Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 06:25 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do you have any orange peel in you RC-F Paint

I am especially interested in any ones close up images to show my dealer the worst cases that others have.

My detailer charges $100/hr for wet sanding to remove and I would at least like to have some of the rear of the car done at some point. They quoted $300-400 to to the rear of the car's worst areas.

To compare with best case, due to some shipping damage reported in another thread I had some correction done to the hood and included pics of the good areas and bad in the attached.

I created a 8x6" paper reflection images to get some straight lines reflection off the paint. Or in the case of the CF just used some background trees.

Last year a Lexus newsletter said:
The vehicle passes through baking ovens four times during the process, and is sanded by hand with a gentle water-based application. Inspectors scrutinize each vehicle to ensure the paint meets strict standards.

Base on my images, I dont see how this could have been sanded by hand.
If it did get hand, the standards must not be very high or I just did not get inspected.

What do you think? Are these typical worst case of the factory output?
Thanks for any input that I can use with my dealership to support some correction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RC-F reflections 5-12-2015.pdf (2.01 MB, 368 views)

Last edited by rjmalm; 05-12-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:56 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, mine's as smooth as glass. Sorry to hear about yours. I do like the license plate frame very much, however.
Old 05-11-15, 10:56 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the the rear end definitely has an unacceptable amount of orange peel. I saw your other post about the shipping marks on the paint. I'd be livid with all the paint issues you're having.
Old 05-11-15, 11:58 AM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see Im not alone when it comes to going over your car with a fine tooth comb.
Old 05-11-15, 12:44 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

$100/hr??? That's absurd! All the dealerships do is hire a 3rd party individual that mobile details. They low ball them and profit from all the rest! No way! You're better off finding a detailing company or body shop that specializes in sports vehicles. Pay a lum sum of the different packages they offer and they'll have a field day on your nice new F! Anyways it's just a thought.
Old 05-11-15, 05:24 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
I'd say the the rear end definitely has an unacceptable amount of orange peel. I saw your other post about the shipping marks on the paint. I'd be livid with all the paint issues you're having.
The 2012 ISF that I traded came to the US with a noticeable flaw in the black paint on the driver's side. Wet sanding took care of the problem, and Lexus picked up the bill.

The dealership should make the car right.
Old 05-11-15, 06:35 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
No Lie, i'd be REALLY Pissed to know my Brand New RC-F had ANYTHING that wasn't PERFECT with it! Hell, it's BRAND NEW! & it's Not like it's a CHEAP car by No means! jmo!
Old 05-12-15, 05:03 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
No Lie, i'd be REALLY Pissed to know my Brand New RC-F had ANYTHING that wasn't PERFECT with it! Hell, it's BRAND NEW! & it's Not like it's a CHEAP car by No means! jmo!
Not when you accept the car as is right off the truck because you don't want to let the dealer touch it (swirls, etc). You want it perfect, then take it your detailer and let them make it 'perfect' for your 2nd delivery.

I'd be more pissed at a detailer trying to charge me by the hour. Especially multiple zero's by the hour.
Old 05-12-15, 07:21 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

I took the car to the dealership on 5/11/2015 and they agree something must be done.
They had a gray RC-F in the showroom and the paint was clearly better, especially the rear panels.

I found out that the plastic parts are painted at a different place and time.

I have been asked to wait and have a full car inspection by the Lexus Field Manager when I return from
vacation in June. I will keep you posted. I update the photos of the paint and CF reflections as I walked around the car.
They are in a PDF in the 1st post if your interested.

If anyone has time to take and attached some close up photos of reflections in their RC-F paint job it would be helpful when I talk to the Field Manager.
Pics need to be taken in a place where there is sun on the reflected subject.

Last edited by rjmalm; 05-12-15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 05:52 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not when you accept the car as is right off the truck because you don't want to let the dealer touch it (swirls, etc). You want it perfect, then take it your detailer and let them make it 'perfect' for your 2nd delivery.

I'd be more pissed at a detailer trying to charge me by the hour. Especially multiple zero's by the hour.
I Guess i'm just Lucky then, because MY Dealer doesn't use some jake-leg detailer that Doesn't know what they're doing! I didn't have ANY kind of issues as far as paint, wax, detail, etc... ! I just Assumed that's the way you was suppose to get your car when it's Brand New off the Showroom Floor!
Old 05-12-15, 11:26 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I Guess i'm just Lucky then, because MY Dealer doesn't use some jake-leg detailer that Doesn't know what they're doing! I didn't have ANY kind of issues as far as paint, wax, detail, etc... ! I just Assumed that's the way you was suppose to get your car when it's Brand New off the Showroom Floor!
You did get lucky. I didn't have orange peel like the OP, but I did have paint correction (polishing) done by my own detailer before I had the whole thing wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. Detailer had to take out buffer trails/swirls and scratches from the dealer's prep job.
Old 05-13-15, 03:44 AM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

That look pretty bad to me. I have a black one and it looks almost perfect. Have you looked at another Infrared unit to compare? Maybe even at another dealership.

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I am especially interested in any ones close up images to show my dealer the worst cases that others have.

My detailer charges $100/hr for wet sanding to remove and I would at least like to have some of the rear of the car done at some point. They quoted $300-400 to to the rear of the car's worst areas.

To compare with best case, due to some shipping damage reported in another thread I had some correction done to the hood and included pics of the good areas and bad in the attached.

I created a 8x6" paper reflection images to get some straight lines reflection off the paint. Or in the case of the CF just used some background trees.

Last year a Lexus newsletter said:
The vehicle passes through baking ovens four times during the process, and is sanded by hand with a gentle water-based application. Inspectors scrutinize each vehicle to ensure the paint meets strict standards.

Base on my images, I dont see how this could have been sanded by hand.
If it did get hand, the standards must not be very high or I just did not get inspected.

What do you think? Are these typical worst case of the factory output?
Thanks for any input that I can use with my dealership to support some correction.
Old 05-13-15, 04:21 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Yes I did look at a 2nd RC-F at a dealership and got the attached photo from the saleman. But the pictures were take at a position TOO CLOSE to the car like 1 foot away. Even with that the paint on these cars looks better.

Orange peel reflections look different as a function of the size of the peel bumps (width and height) and the distance you are away from the surface. As you get farther away you see more what I mean. Try it.

So I tried to take pictures from where a person would be standing inspecting the paint 3-4 feet from the car looking at reflections. The only way to really compare is with a meter designed to measure this problem.

None else has posted photos of there perfect paint yet so if you do please dont get TOO close to the car. Attached images are of RC-Fs at dealership now and about 12" away which is too close.
Attached Thumbnails Do you have any orange peel in you RC-F Paint-dealership-infared-rcf-license-area-for-compare.jpg   Do you have any orange peel in you RC-F Paint-dealership-gray-rc-f-license-area-but-not-in-sunlight.jpg  

Last edited by rjmalm; 05-13-15 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I dunno guys...my OEM Lexus IS-F paint looks perfect compared to my wife's '15 Sienna minivan...hers looks like it was painted with a roller. lol

Another thing you need to remember is that any wet sanding is wearing down your clear coat. Usually factory clear coats are pretty thin and are not meant to be wetsanded...usually after one wetsanding that is pretty much it. Any more than that and you will get clear coat failure in the future...
Old 05-15-15, 02:44 AM
detluv313
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I had a small chip in the passenger right rear when I picked mine up from the Dealer it had the swirl marks that I told the dealer they have to get out. After an attempt at that. I took it to my own people, had it clayed, polished and buffed looks alot better

Quick Reply: Do you have any orange peel in you RC-F Paint