RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone seen this? RCF vs ISF

Old 05-14-15, 05:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Remember, my argument (as stated above) was strictly about rolling start races. All of your point of view regarding launching etc. are not quite relevant to what I was saying.

Although, point taken on your analogy that sometimes the ECU limits the lowest starting gear the car can go into without getting too close to redline and that there might be tricks to override that.

p.s. Yes, I have driven an IS-F.
Still disagree and think you are totally off base. My points about shifting too soon (paddle or gearshift) apply. Suspension settings, RPM shift points, etc all still matter. If you don't know what you're doing to optimize your setup, you are at a disadvantage. Thinking punch it and drive is the auto method is common lore for low tech cars 15 + years ago (or maybe low end cars today). Time to come into the new age of autos, it's no longer
Old 05-14-15, 05:54 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can easily weed out the people with some drag racing experience from the ones that have no idea what they're taking about in this thread.

About the race, besides the isf guy not shifting right, you guys are omitting a key point about the video. That isf has a modified differential. I venture to guess that it's an is350 differential since its what some isf guys have tried out. Most, if not all, have reverted back to stock. That differential makes the isf slower at high speeds and top out a lot sooner.

I'd still like to see a mach up between a well driven stock or mostly stock isf against an RFC. I sure hope that one of the RCF guys takes the challenge that was posted in that other thread a while back.
Old 05-14-15, 06:12 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
You can easily weed out the people with some drag racing experience from the ones that have no idea what they're taking about in this thread.

About the race, besides the isf guy not shifting right, you guys are omitting a key point about the video. That isf has a modified differential. I venture to guess that it's an is350 differential since its what some isf guys have tried out. Most, if not all, have reverted back to stock. That differential makes the isf slower at high speeds and top out a lot sooner.

I'd still like to see a mach up between a well driven stock or mostly stock isf against an RFC. I sure hope that one of the RCF guys takes the challenge that was posted in that other thread a while back.
What's the gear ratio difference of the ISF vs the IS350 differential?
Old 05-14-15, 06:20 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieISF
If the RCF is that fast, one can only imagine how fast an M4 is if it kills the RCF in a straight line. And the new C63 looks like it's even faster. Every generation can only be better than the last.
yup. the RCF got EMBARASSED by the M4 in the episode of Top Gear on the strip. Wasn't even close
Old 05-14-15, 06:26 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

The M4 is no joke. It's almost a 10 second car with only a tune, 3" downpipe, and drag radials:
Stock:
Old 05-14-15, 06:34 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
The M4 is no joke. It's almost a 10 second car with only a tune, 3" downpipe, and drag radials:
Fastest M4 in the quarter mile so far - 11.1 @ 123.56 by TPG Tuning - YouTube
Stock:
2015 BMW M4 1/4 mile Drag Race Video - Road Test TV - YouTube
ONLY a Tune! Lol! JUST a Tune makes a HELL of a BIG Difference!
Old 05-14-15, 06:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

So it would be fair to say, if indeed the IS-F had the IS350 differential, which is actually numerically higher, it should give the IS-F stronger lower gear acceleration (combined with the Sikky headers and exhaust). Since the race most likely started in 2nd gear, the IS-F held up a lot better in the early few gears than it could have, if it did not have the modified differential.

If you are pointing towards me, you are definitely dead wrong alright. This video gives you a clear idea. You can clearly hear me do heel-toe downshifts coming down the off ramp and the manual shifting is clear I know what I am doing.

Old 05-14-15, 06:42 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
ONLY a Tune! Lol! JUST a Tune makes a HELL of a BIG Difference!
It is JUST a tune. Both a tune and a downpipe are extremely basic modifications. We're not talking turbo swap, head milling, new cams, engine boring, etc.
Old 05-14-15, 06:44 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

So it would be fair to say, if indeed the IS-F had the IS350 differential, which is actually numerically higher, it should give the IS-F stronger lower gear acceleration (combined with the Sikky headers and exhaust). Since the race most likely started in 2nd gear, the IS-F held up a lot better in the early few gears than it could have, if it did not have the modified differential.

If you are pointing towards me, you are definitely dead wrong alright. This video gives you a clear idea. You can clearly hear me do heel-toe downshifts coming down the off ramp and the manual shifting is clear I know what I am doing.

2ZZ-GE 05 Corolla XRS lift@ 6100 - 8400 rpm [20 - 120 mph] video 2/2 - YouTube
Was that full throttle? I think I'd fall asleep in a car that slow. Not to mention your shifts are extremely slow, so I don't know how you can use that to brag.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-14-15 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 07:32 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was a 350 rear end? that would explain a lot. i didnt pay much attention but that would involve more shifts which would definitely lose time. not sure why anyone would switch to a final drive so high....
Old 05-14-15, 07:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Was that full throttle? I think I'd fall asleep in a car that slow. Not to mention your shifts are extremely slow, so I don't know how you can use that to brag.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I never "bragged" my car was fast. I was only responding to an ignorant comment that I have never tracked or drag raced or anything. A sloppy driver with "slow shifts" or bad launches would certainly not be able to get a 14.6@96 mph out of a 2600 lbs car with "only" ~ 195 HP.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-14-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 08:26 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

What's the gear ratio difference of the ISF vs the IS350 differential?
isf stock is 2.93 and is350 is 4.09

Originally Posted by DrRick
that was a 350 rear end? that would explain a lot. i didnt pay much attention but that would involve more shifts which would definitely lose time. not sure why anyone would switch to a final drive so high....
A taller differential is mentioned as one of the ISF's mods but they don't mention exactly which.
Old 05-14-15, 08:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I never "bragged" my car was fast. I was only responding to an ignorant comment that I have never tracked or drag raced or anything. A sloppy driver with "slow shifts" or bad launches would certainly not be able to get a 14.6@96 mph out of a 2600 lbs car with "only" ~ 195 HP.
Yeah, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. All you demonstrated with that video is grandma shifting and stupid speeds with cars around.
If you wanted to talk about drag racing, you should have posted a video or a slip from the track.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-14-15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 08:45 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with your power to weight ratio....mid 14's should be the norm. and thats BEFORE you upgrade the tires, wheels, flywheel and clutch like you have.
Old 05-14-15, 08:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
with your power to weight ratio....mid 14's should be the norm. and thats BEFORE you upgrade the tires, wheels, flywheel and clutch like you have.
The 14.6 seconds was 3 years ago with only intake/full exhaust and Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. Stock everything else. In theory, it should be quicker by a few tenths than that, but I only go only for solo 2 auto crossing whenever possible.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-14-15 at 09:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone seen this? RCF vs ISF