RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone seen this? RCF vs ISF

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 08:29 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieISF
If the RCF is that fast, one can only imagine how fast an M4 is if it kills the RCF in a straight line. And the new C63 looks like it's even faster. Every generation can only be better than the last.
Lol! WHERE in the HELL did you hear This? Lol! IF it does just happen to pull it just a LIL' that is NOT KILLING IT! Man, it Amazes me how some people just Love to start CRAP! KILLS IT, LOL!
Old 05-11-15, 03:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I'm glad I finally got to see a video such as this...I can agree the IS F driver wasn't shifting properly. Either way being an IS F proud owner, I'll gladly pass the mantle on to the RC F. What bothers me from Lexus is that they kept the same exact engine 2urgse...just upgraded the components and squeezed a little more power and torque. With that said, it isn't enough for me to upgrade to the RC F. Either way ladies and gentlemen, let's enjoy our rides!
Old 05-11-15, 11:10 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieISF
If the RCF is that fast, one can only imagine how fast an M4 is if it kills the RCF in a straight line. And the new C63 looks like it's even faster. Every generation can only be better than the last.

The following all took place on a closed course in my STOCK RCF:

Ran a DCT M4 that was tuned from a 40/50mph roll(3x). Pulled 3-4 car lengths each time. The jump was always in 2nd and 3rd gear, 4th gear didn't gain an inch. 400lbs lighter pushing 500hp at the crank, not impressed. The M4 driver himself was very impressed and I think a bit disappointed as well.

For comparison, also ran a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack with intake, another 500+hp car, from 40/50 and 60mph up to 150+ and best he could do was stay at my door. He was very impressed and also disappointed, so much so he bought a rear seat delete kit the very next day.

So the M4 kills the RCF on what planet?
Old 05-11-15, 11:56 AM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCF>M4 for so many reasons.
Old 05-11-15, 12:22 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the power band of this car is great, any true performance car should have peak power at the redline, It's why my old 270HP NSX would do 168 in 1991.
Old 05-11-15, 12:37 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
The following all took place on a closed course in my STOCK RCF:

Ran a DCT M4 that was tuned from a 40/50mph roll(3x). Pulled 3-4 car lengths each time. The jump was always in 2nd and 3rd gear, 4th gear didn't gain an inch. 400lbs lighter pushing 500hp at the crank, not impressed. The M4 driver himself was very impressed and I think a bit disappointed as well.

For comparison, also ran a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack with intake, another 500+hp car, from 40/50 and 60mph up to 150+ and best he could do was stay at my door. He was very impressed and also disappointed, so much so he bought a rear seat delete kit the very next day.

So the M4 kills the RCF on what planet?
Awesome runs! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-14-15, 11:58 AM
DJsISF
Rookie

That was a great run although id say the ISF owner wasnt that great of a driver. Anyway I would expect an RCF to pull on an ISF (although i honestly dont think it should be that bad, I'm an ISF owner) Why would Lexus produce an new sports card and have it be slower than the outgoing model? Doesn't sound like that would be good business practice. I'd still like to a broad daylight race with decent shifting. I myself have run a m4 on the highway twice. 60-130. Door to door. no ground loss. I take this into count when i see the RCF pulling on the ISF. I think that was more on the driver but to each his own lol. Flame suit on
Old 05-14-15, 12:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by DJsISF
That was a great run although id say the ISF owner wasnt that great of a driver. Anyway I would expect an RCF to pull on an ISF (although i honestly dont think it should be that bad, I'm an ISF owner) Why would Lexus produce an new sports card and have it be slower than the outgoing model? Doesn't sound like that would be good business practice. I'd still like to a broad daylight race with decent shifting. I myself have run a m4 on the highway twice. 60-130. Door to door. no ground loss. I take this into count when i see the RCF pulling on the ISF. I think that was more on the driver but to each his own lol. Flame suit on
It is an automatic and was done from a rolling start (so no launch variabilities).

Having driven a 6 speed manual for over 12 years, it makes me laugh to think it requires "skills" to operate an automatic vis a vis mashing the gas pedal and pulling on shift paddles to downshift or upshift.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-14-15 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 12:31 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is an automatic and was done from a rolling start (so no launch variabilities).

I drive a 6 speed manual and have been to the track a few times. It makes me laugh to think it requires "skills" to operate an automatic vis a vis mashing the gas pedal and pulling on shift paddles.
If you don't think you have to have driving skills in a roll race with an automatic then you haven't been paying attention to events like TX2K, Shift S3ctor or Texas Invitational. The vast majority of the cars there are 'automatics' and are won or loss at the 'hit' among similarly powered cars.

Watch what this supra does to TWO 2000 hp lambos. All 3 'automatics'. All from the hit. All driver...

Old 05-14-15, 12:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Completely pointless.

Case in point, a faster car is a faster car. With significant turbo lag being a huge variable in those big single turbo cars, it is completely irrelevant in this case since I don't know how those cars are setup. I have seen Supras lose to much slower/less powerful cars because of how much time it too for the single turbo to spool up.

In a roll race especially in N/A cars, automatic transmission makes it insignificant as to what the driver's skills are. If a race is won or lost, it is because the other car was quicker or the car that lost started in too tall a gear.

Again, I repeat, there are no skills required to tug on shift paddles and mashing the gas pedal. From the video, it was clear the IS-F started from the right gear and he punched it exactly at the time RC-F driver did. Rest was just a matter of letting it play out as the cars do their own thing.

Originally Posted by DrRick
If you don't think you have to have driving skills in a roll race with an automatic then you haven't been paying attention to events like TX2K, Shift S3ctor or Texas Invitational. The vast majority of the cars there are 'automatics' and are won or loss at the 'hit' among similarly powered cars.

Watch what this supra does to TWO 2000 hp lambos. All 3 'automatics'. All from the hit. All driver...

Real Street Supra takes down TWO 2000HP Lambos and more - TX2K15 - YouTube
Old 05-14-15, 01:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Again, I repeat, there are no skills required to tug on shift paddles and mashing the gas pedal. From the video, it was clear the IS-F started from the right gear and he punched it exactly at the time RC-F driver did. Rest was just a matter of letting it play out as the cars do their own thing.
Completely disagree. Maybe the RC-F was in manual mode or slalom when it should have been on track. How many settings are there in modern (automatic) cars to get to the 'right setting' for the best performance for a given race or type of event? TONS. Have you not read the hundreds of "what are the best settings to get the best launch" threads? What happens in manual mode if you pull for a shift sooner than redline? Or you have traction modes off so you hit the redline and bounce off the rev limiter rev limiter?

Certainly added opportunities for you to screw up missing a shift with a clutch both at launch or during a roll, but absolutely don't think racing a modern automatic is a punch-it and drive affair. Auto gearboxes have the same considerations on being in the right gear and RPM as well. Probably more complex than a stick because you have to sometimes trick the auto to getting into a gear it doesn't naturally want to be in.

Have you driven an RC-F or IS-F and played around extensively with the settings?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-14-15 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-14-15, 01:44 PM
DJsISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Completely disagree. Maybe the RC-F was in manual mode or slalom when it should have been on track. How many settings are there in modern (automatic) cars to get to the 'right setting' for the best performance for a given race or type of event? TONS. Have you not read the hundreds of 'what are the best settings to get the best launch' threads?" What happens in manual mode if you pull for a shift sooner than redline? Or you have traction modes off so you hit the redline and bounce off the rev limiter rev limiter?

Certainly added opportunities for you to screw up missing a shift with a clutch both at launch and , but absolutely don't think racing a modern automatic is a punch it and drive affair. Same considerations on being in the right gear and RPM as well. Probably more complex than a stick because you have to sometimes trick the auto to getting into a gear it doesn't naturally want to be in.

Have you driven an RC-F or IS-F and played around extensively with the settings?

i completely agree. This was my initial point but you worded it so much better! Some people seem to not understand
Old 05-14-15, 03:03 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely pointless.

Case in point, a faster car is a faster car. With significant turbo lag being a huge variable in those big single turbo cars, it is completely irrelevant in this case since I don't know how those cars are setup. I have seen Supras lose to much slower/less powerful cars because of how much time it too for the single turbo to spool up.

In a roll race especially in N/A cars, automatic transmission makes it insignificant as to what the driver's skills are. If a race is won or lost, it is because the other car was quicker or the car that lost started in too tall a gear.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. and wrong, at that...

I've taken my ISF to a track. Trust me it takes a lot more skill than you're giving credit for. Especially if you want a good time. Because, you have to have the 'skill' to 'tug on the shift paddle' at the right time. And guess what? That right time isn't necessarily at the redline. Ask some of the guys with good times on the ISF board.

I'm not arguing the results of the race in this thread. But, rather, your basic comprehension of something that you obviously don't have a lot of experience in is amusing.
Old 05-14-15, 04:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Completely disagree. Maybe the RC-F was in manual mode or slalom when it should have been on track. How many settings are there in modern (automatic) cars to get to the 'right setting' for the best performance for a given race or type of event? TONS. Have you not read the hundreds of "what are the best settings to get the best launch" threads? What happens in manual mode if you pull for a shift sooner than redline? Or you have traction modes off so you hit the redline and bounce off the rev limiter rev limiter?

Certainly added opportunities for you to screw up missing a shift with a clutch both at launch or during a roll, but absolutely don't think racing a modern automatic is a punch-it and drive affair. Auto gearboxes have the same considerations on being in the right gear and RPM as well. Probably more complex than a stick because you have to sometimes trick the auto to getting into a gear it doesn't naturally want to be in.

Remember, my argument (as stated above) was strictly about rolling start races. All of your point of view regarding launching etc. are not quite relevant to what I was saying.

Although, point taken on your analogy that sometimes the ECU limits the lowest starting gear the car can go into without getting too close to redline and that there might be tricks to override that.

p.s. Yes, I have driven an IS-F.
Old 05-14-15, 04:46 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Completely pointless.

I can take your statement and counter with the fact that it takes no skill to choose the right gear, mash the throttle, and shift gears once or twice in cars making this little power. Roll races are so easy, even in a manual.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this? RCF vs ISF