RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Torsen and TVD Observations

Old 05-05-15, 05:28 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RCF Torsen and TVD Observations

This can serve as a repository for observations to assist owners of both the RCF Torsen and TVD.

After nearly 1,000 miles and many driven at moderate to fast speeds on open roads, the RCF TVD in Sport+ Track delivers neutral steering, dialing out the understeer. In the Standard TVD setting the understeer is subtly apparent on very tight corners at high speed (60+ mph), but far from causing a handling problem.

I still believe that only professional drivers will extract 10/10s from this car, but it is there to be had.

"The driving experience is a dream" as one member put it.
Old 05-06-15, 03:39 AM
lcooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
This can serve as a repository for observations to assist owners of both the RCF Torsen and TVD.

After nearly 1,000 miles and many driven at moderate to fast speeds on open roads, the RCF TVD in Sport+ Track delivers neutral steering, dialing out the understeer. In the Standard TVD setting the understeer is subtly apparent on very tight corners at high speed (60+ mph), but far from causing a handling problem.

I still believe that only professional drivers will extract 10/10s from this car, but it is there to be had.

"The driving experience is a dream" as one member put it.
I ordered a non-TVD that will arrive next month, but a carbon package with TVD with the same color scheme arrives next week. I'm definitely not a professional driver. Is TVD worth the extra $150 per month?
Old 05-06-15, 04:21 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will be nice when a pro or very good driver does a figure-eight test and slalom test with both car models (Torsen and TVD in each of the 3 modes) and in Sport+. It would also be nice to recorded size of each test used and a photo of the G display in advanced mode to compare.

ISF001 might have found this published already and could post it but usually the size of the test area is not published and the reviewers only do one car type or setting. Clearly the same driver and conditions is needed on each test.

A typical Slalom course is 1/4" file with cones spaced 4 car lengths. You could try this with both cars since you have access to both soon.
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rc-f/20...ce-tested.html
Handling:
Slalom (mph): 72.9
In the slalom, it points quickly from cone to cone, offers amazing line-adjustability with throttle input, will allow predictable and useful rear wheel slides, and punches through the exit with the differential sorting out how to put the power down. The steering takes a few runs to get used to its quickness, but the car eats up the slalom... Heck, it has a dedicated 'slalom' mode so it should. [Note that with all the settings in default 'Normal' mode, it was still very capable].

Too bad the fastestlaps.com does not publish the lap times using the different options.
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/lexus_rc_f.html

Last edited by rjmalm; 05-06-15 at 05:11 AM. Reason: update link
Old 05-06-15, 06:14 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope that those who give impressions and observations of the TVD vs Torsen are doing so on a track or closed bit of pavement. actually getting to the point of oversteer or understeer isn't something that should be done on public roads by non-professional drivers. As someone who has totaled a Lexus by going past the limits of lateral grip, I advise everyone to PLEASE be careful...
Old 05-06-15, 06:27 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
I would hope that those who give impressions and observations of the TVD vs Torsen are doing so on a track or closed bit of pavement. actually getting to the point of oversteer or understeer isn't something that should be done on public roads by non-professional drivers. As someone who has totaled a Lexus by going past the limits of lateral grip, I advise everyone to PLEASE be careful...
Good post!
Old 05-06-15, 07:53 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Good post!
Totally agree...my "testing" is not being done in occupied/busy routes.

RJ will be tracking it soon and will have plenty of feedback.
Old 05-07-15, 10:22 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TVD whp much less than Torsen

From the few dyno runs I've seen online. There seems to be quite a difference in wheel hp between the TVD and Torsen. Torsen putting down about ~390whp vs TVD ~355. Has anyone put their RCF on a dyno and seen similar results based on your differential? I'm taking mine(Torsen) to a dyno very soon and will post my numbers, I'm predicting 400whp.
Old 05-07-15, 11:30 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

If true, it is interesting in that the TVD is a tenth faster on the 0-60 than the Torsten. Better traction and torque distribution on varied surfaces (getting the tires to stick) could be why...?

I've not seen comps on TVD and Torsen track runs, but I expect to see faster laps times with the TVD because of the torque distributions made during cornering maneuvers.
Old 05-07-15, 01:42 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Carbon Package and Weight Savings

I finally found some data on the weight reduction from the carbon roof and spoiler--It amounts to around 14.5 pounds of savings for the RCF.

https://www.pressroom.com.au/press_k...navSectionID=6
Old 05-07-15, 01:56 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
From the few dyno runs I've seen online. There seems to be quite a difference in wheel hp between the TVD and Torsen. Torsen putting down about ~390whp vs TVD ~355. Has anyone put their RCF on a dyno and seen similar results based on your differential? I'm taking mine(Torsen) to a dyno very soon and will post my numbers, I'm predicting 400whp.

Joe Z's dynoed at 345-355, stock. Don't know what kinda dyno he used. But the gains were impressive...

View this post on Instagram

ETA....it says 'dynojet' on the screen.

Last edited by DrRick; 05-07-15 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 11:11 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
Joe Z's dynoed at 345-355, stock. Don't know what kinda dyno he used. But the gains were impressive...

https://instagram.com/p/2XUveeOFBX/

ETA....it says 'dynojet' on the screen.
Damn ~25% drivetrain loss, is that normal?
Old 05-09-15, 08:55 AM
1FlySi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Is there any truth to this that the TVD puts down less HP to the ground? Or are we looking at the difference between cars and dynos on a given day?
Old 05-09-15, 09:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1FlySi
Is there any truth to this that the TVD puts down less HP to the ground? Or are we looking at the difference between cars and dynos on a given day?
I'm going with cars and dynos on any given day....
We saw similar outcomes from stock IS F's back in 2008.

We are also all dynoing brand new cars...

I will say the TVD unit is massive, bulkier and weighs more then the standard Torsen unit.. As disclosed by Lexus themselves.. ( added xx lbs to the car)
The housing itself also favors the left side...!!!

The axle is shorter on the Drivers side and longer on the Passenger side..

See my below observations..

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-09-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-09-15, 05:40 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I test drove the TVD early evening on a wide open back road near abandoned farms. The road offers climbs, several crests and multiple hairpin turns. I got on the F to see what its got in the sport+ slalom mode, automatic.

I honestly feel that the automatic mode is remarkable and in many ways superior to manual. The car executed what I would have done in manual based on my throttle and braking responses. The car was not airborne on the crests, but I took them at a fair clip. While the electronics are always there, the car did not miss a beat when I took each crest at speed. Steering was crisp and there was no disruption to the braking system.

It was impressive. The great news is the TVD has the ability to neutralize understeer.
Old 05-09-15, 06:28 PM
SteveRCF
Driver School Candidate

TVD feels like a slot car great traction and running with my son on a twisty road he ran off and left me in my Shelby Gt-500 (duh) straights on wide open road 160 got there quick in both and not to be repeated by us again. We have track time under our belts but common sense finally prevailed. I can see more track time in RCF to get the blood flowing. Comfort of RCF makes it a pleasure to drive at any speed. I highly recommend getting some form of clear bra protective coating on front bumper and lower grill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RCF Torsen and TVD Observations