RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seatbelt wear marks on the leather seats?

Old 05-06-15, 04:35 PM
jdolin22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It very clearly looks like wear. Not sure what could make a random chunk of leather fall off coincidentally right where the seat belt rubs. No question the cause and that this is unacceptable on a brand new high end automobile.
Old 05-08-15, 08:30 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFSid
I have the same issue. Gray interior. I will hit 5000 miles soon, so a visit to the dealer will be scheduled shortly. I will inquire about a resolution and post my results.
It appears to be a manufacturing defect where the material was not of proper thickness to withstand abrasion.

Please let us all know how Lexus resolves the issue.
Old 05-08-15, 12:08 PM
RCFSid
Driver School Candidate

So, I took the RC-F to Tustin Lexus for it's first maintenance (5000 miles) and mentioned/showed the issue to, Derek, the service consultant who greeted me. The first thing he said to me was that he would find out how much it would cost me to fix. I stood there shaking my head (not so much in disbelief - as I expected that to be the first thing he would say), but not taking that as an acceptable response. I told him it should be covered under warranty. He proceeded to tell me that the warranty was for parts that are defective. I responded by telling him that any leather (or whatever material it actually is - vinyl, etc.) in an $80K car that rubs through after only 5000 miles is clearly defective. He then asks me if I purchased the interior coating when I bought the car. I confirmed that I had. He told me that I might have to contact them to have them fix it under their warranty. Again, I shook my head, and told him that I would be happy to take this up the Lexus "food chain" if necessary. We agreed that he would take the car in, perform the 5000 mile maintenance, and discuss the seat issue with whomever would ultimately make the decision (Service manager, Lexus corporate). The following day (yesterday), I received a call that Lexus corporate had ordered me new leather for the seat and that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. So, now I wait for parts and to schedule the installation.

Do you think they will change anything, or will I have to go through this every 5000 miles?
Old 05-08-15, 12:34 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I took the RC-F to Tustin Lexus for it's first maintenance (5000 miles) and mentioned/showed the issue to, Derek, the service consultant who greeted me. The first thing he said to me was that he would find out how much it would cost me to fix. I stood there shaking my head (not so much in disbelief - as I expected that to be the first thing he would say), but not taking that as an acceptable response. I told him it should be covered under warranty. He proceeded to tell me that the warranty was for parts that are defective. I responded by telling him that any leather (or whatever material it actually is - vinyl, etc.) in an $80K car that rubs through after only 5000 miles is clearly defective. He then asks me if I purchased the interior coating when I bought the car. I confirmed that I had. He told me that I might have to contact them to have them fix it under their warranty. Again, I shook my head, and told him that I would be happy to take this up the Lexus "food chain" if necessary. We agreed that he would take the car in, perform the 5000 mile maintenance, and discuss the seat issue with whomever would ultimately make the decision (Service manager, Lexus corporate). The following day (yesterday), I received a call that Lexus corporate had ordered me new leather for the seat and that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. So, now I wait for parts and to schedule the installation.

Do you think they will change anything, or will I have to go through this every 5000 miles?
I did not put the seat belts in this part because it causes a lot of friction, What I would do is use some leather conditioner and that should make it slide a lot better, I know after I put a few coats, 1 a week the seats are a lot nicer and softer, I used chemical guys leather clearer / conditioner and it works great.

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items): Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items): Automotive
Old 05-08-15, 03:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The long term fix.. would be a seat belt pad.... Slip it right into the pocket

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-08-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 05:02 AM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same issue. Gray interior. I will hit 5000 miles soon, so a visit to the dealer will be scheduled shortly. I will inquire about a resolution and post my results.

Not Good...
Old 05-09-15, 05:09 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm getting a small alcantara sleeve made for the belt to go through. It'll be minimal and clean looking. I'll get a handful made by end of next month and just mail them out to whoever wants them...for free.
Old 05-09-15, 05:19 AM
cones169
Driver School Candidate

I'll definitely take one. Let me know thx.
Old 05-09-15, 12:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Carnevino
I'm getting a small alcantara sleeve made for the belt to go through. It'll be minimal and clean looking. I'll get a handful made by end of next month and just mail them out to whoever wants them...for free.
I missed your original post... But glad we're thinking alike..

Maybe a light colored one for the F's with the lighter seats..

Joe Z
Old 05-09-15, 02:57 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Suggest you make two small slit cuts and reinforce it with stitching to allow the seat's magnetic belt strap slide through to hold the sleeve in place. That way it does not slide down when you pull on the seat belt. Was going to attempt to make one also. Interest in black Alcantara.

Chu...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-14-15 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-09-15, 06:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

I'm in.
Old 05-09-15, 06:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I did not put the seat belts in this part because it causes a lot of friction, What I would do is use some leather conditioner and that should make it slide a lot better, I know after I put a few coats, 1 a week the seats are a lot nicer and softer, I used chemical guys leather clearer / conditioner and it works great.

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items): Automotive
^^^This...I use Lexol.

Amazon.com: Lexol 908 Leather Care Kit, 16.9 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Lexol 908 Leather Care Kit, 16.9 oz.: Automotive
Old 05-09-15, 08:07 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I'm in.
Me TOO! also guys i know it Helps to use some of the things ya'll have mentioned but THIS shouldn't happen No Matter WHAT (i mean this is a Lexus)! jmo!
Old 05-10-15, 07:14 PM
6i9
Driver

Please include me for one! THanks
Old 05-13-15, 10:11 AM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be interested in one as well.

I used CQuartz leather protector on my leather. It makes the seat belt marks easier to clean, but I am still worried about the leather ripping/rubbing away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seatbelt wear marks on the leather seats?