RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Infared RC-F with some hood clear coat defects, need advice

Old 04-25-15, 09:47 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Infared RC-F with some hood clear coat defects, need advice

Did anyone of you have some shipping marks on your hood?

Dealer said that the shipping cover for the hood was not the standard white film but was more like a car cover (softer) with adhesive along the hood edges to hold it in place.

I had to pick up the car in the rain Friday night and did not have the dealer wash the car since I did not want to risk any dealer induced swirls and it would get wet on the 65 mile drive home. We did not see these marks until then next day (today) when I washed off the rain spots. Along the top edge are scrap marks (5cm to 1cm long, randomly along about 30-40cm of the edge of the hood near the wiper blades. Down towards the front of the car by the air vent they are dot defects (about 20 of them) ranging is size from 1mm to one at 3mm that almost look like rub marks since often they have a common direction looking shape. The rest of the body paint does not have any defects and really looks nice.

I sent my dealer the attached PDF since he is far away but I assume I will have to take it in for inspection.

Has anyone had any paint correction work done yet?

If you had any of these marks are your new RC-F, how did they get get there and how did they get fixed? Suggestions would be very helpful.

R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RCF hood damage.pdf (3.48 MB, 172 views)

Last edited by rjmalm; 04-27-15 at 08:52 PM. Reason: focus images better
Old 04-26-15, 04:01 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine still had some of the adhesive from the white film on it when I picked it up, but it came off pretty easily. I haven't seen any scratches like the ones you have though, I'm sure they'll buff out with minimal effort. Congrats on the car!
Old 04-26-15, 07:48 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That bites, but all the more reason to let dealership wash and deliver properly before leaving. I am sure they will get it worked out for you.
Old 04-26-15, 05:26 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't completely freak out......yet. The RC F's come with a special coating that self heals to some degree. It states this in the owners manual, but that can take a month to read. It doesn't state how long it takes for this to happen, but I believe it says outside temp is the main thing. I'm sure some other guys can chime in here as well. Grate on your new car though......you'll love it. There's a lot of cool features with the VC system...... Just say "it's too hot in here" and the car will lower the temp by 4 degrees. Sucks you might have to deal with an issue though. Hopefully not.
Old 04-26-15, 05:43 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

I tried some hot water on a towel (like > 80 deg) or hot sun for some time.
Found that the hot water towel will fix some very shallow findernail scratches but these marks on the hood are rub or deep scrap marks and nothing I tried helps. Its going to take a pro to fix is my guess. Will contact the dealer on Monday. I have a very good local detailer (Pride Detail) that I plan to contact as well.
Thanks for the voice recognition tip.
Old 04-27-15, 09:23 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hood was fine, but I did have some marks on both passenger side wheels. Took it in for them to buff out, apparently that removed some of the coating, so they had to replace both wheels! Seemed a bit like a waste to replace essentially brand new wheels with brand new wheels, but Lexus bit the bullet to make sure I left with a perfect car. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.
Old 04-27-15, 09:31 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think an excellent body shop with get most of this out with buffing.

The bad spots might require a quick touch up and wet sand.

My ISF had a very bad shipment scratch on the drivers door. An application of touch up and a well-done wet sanding eliminated the flaw.

Just find the right shop.

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I tried some hot water on a towel (like > 80 deg) or hot sun for some time.
Found that the hot water towel will fix some very shallow findernail scratches but these marks on the hood are rub or deep scrap marks and nothing I tried helps. Its going to take a pro to fix is my guess. Will contact the dealer on Monday. I have a very good local detailer (Pride Detail) that I plan to contact as well.
Thanks for the voice recognition tip.
Old 05-01-15, 08:16 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments ISF001.
Lexus took the car to a subcontractor and they worked on it
and got98% of the scratches out with just buffing. The dark rub marks
got fixed to match in color but there are still a few depressions if you
get the reflections right on them and know where to look. I think a 2nd paint correction in the future detail should get it near 100%. I do this when I have some of the orange peel corrected around the rear lights and license plate.
Attached Thumbnails New Infared RC-F with some hood clear coat defects, need advice-hood-before-and-after-resize.jpg  
Old 05-01-15, 07:40 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

One of the Best things i've Ever used is the 3M #1 06085 Rubbing Compound (it effectively removes grade P1200 and finer sand scratches)! Just get a sponge pad or a towel & rub it briskly & it will get rid of pretty much Any Scratches OR Swirls & you usually don't even have to come back with a wax or polish, it's always been the best thing i've ever used for all of my cars different colors! I used to take them to my body shop friend & he finally just told me what he usually uses UNLESS the job requires some Machine Buffing, but you can still use this as the compound! it's Suppose to be 3M's most effective compound! I ordered it on Amazon, i think it was around $30 for 1qt.! it will also get rid of water spots or any minor imperfections!
Old 05-01-15, 08:06 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Thanks for the comments ISF001.
Lexus took the car to a subcontractor and they worked on it
and got98% of the scratches out with just buffing. The dark rub marks
got fixed to match in color but there are still a few depressions if you
get the reflections right on them and know where to look. I think a 2nd paint correction in the future detail should get it near 100%. I do this when I have some of the orange peel corrected around the rear lights and license plate.
Glad you got it fixed, i mean as much as we pay for these cars i would hope they would take care of something like that for you! But, i'm just wondering WHY it was like that in the First Place?
We've Never had any Issues with our Dealership in Shreveport, La. BUT, we did just buy a RCF & LS460! I Can't Imagine them NOT taking care of Us! Lol!
Old 05-01-15, 08:57 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Its not clear how it happened. I guess I will never know. I heard that the hood was not covered with the standard white film but was covered with something more like a car cover with soft interior I was told. Does this mean the film came off sometime on the ship from Japan or truck to AZ and someone recovered it with something non standard and did not know what would result?
Maybe movement of this cover with contamination between it and the paint during the trucking from LA? The dark spots were not long scratches (only about 1-3mm in diamater and were not round) They did have the look of very local deep rubs. The scrapes/scratches were very long and directional.
Lexus did fund the cost of the repair of course and it looks pretty good if you dont know where to look.