RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 06:15 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Carbotech brake pads

Good luck with your purchase. I ordered my pads from Speed Freaks on 6/5/15. The next day I received this message below and have not heard from them since. $467.00 was taken out of my Paypal on 6/5/15.

We are awaiting the arrival of the OE pads from Japan to verify fitment
of the prototype backing plates as being good to go. An update is due
back to us soon as the shipment is now 1 week late from Lexus Japan. We
will keep you posted as we close out on the QA and start production,
hopefully very soon!

Best Regards,
Speed Freaks, LLC
Old 06-18-15, 06:30 AM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm have you tried contacting them? I paid through PayPal, so I csn dispute if needed, if you did the same just don't let it go over 45 days. They seem to be pretty active on forum so I wouldn't panic yet.
Old 06-18-15, 08:27 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use sonax full effect once a week on my isf. It gets caked in break dust after 3 days or so.
Old 06-18-15, 04:13 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
"62 A. H. Sprite (sold), 64 Triumph TR-4 (sold), Corvette 427 c.i. 435 h.p. (sold), 73 Chevy Nova SS-350 replaced with 427 cid big block (sold), 82 & 89 Porsche 928s (sold), 90 Taurus SHO (sold), 96 Fix Or Repair Daily Taurus (sold), 95 Lexus SC-400 (sold), 99 Corvette (sold), 02 Corvette Z-06 (sold), 04 Lexus SC-430 (sold), 06 Lexus GS-300AWD (sold), 09 Mazda CX-7 (sold), 08 Lexus IS-F MMR (sold), 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee (current), 13 GS-350 RR (sold), 15 RC-F Sonic Silver Metallic (current)."

What dealership do you own?!
Oh, now I understand I've been driving since 1965 so I've traded a few in my time.
Old 06-18-15, 08:01 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR47
Good luck with your purchase. I ordered my pads from Speed Freaks on 6/5/15. The next day I received this message below and have not heard from them since. $467.00 was taken out of my Paypal on 6/5/15.

We are awaiting the arrival of the OE pads from Japan to verify fitment
of the prototype backing plates as being good to go. An update is due
back to us soon as the shipment is now 1 week late from Lexus Japan. We
will keep you posted as we close out on the QA and start production,
hopefully very soon!

Best Regards,
Speed Freaks, LLC

I've learned this is what really Sux with a New Lexus Vehicle is that if you want to do a few mods it seems like Everything pretty much HAS to come from Japan & takes 45-60 days!
Old 06-19-15, 09:56 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zydan
Just placed my order for the Carbotech, I could have prob dealt with the dusting although excessive, but squealing at low speeds constantly, there's just no way~ it's more embarrassing then anything to me.

Excited to get these pads and put them on!
Hey man please come back and do a review after you have had them installed...the squealing and brake dust is driving me carzy as I don't plan to track my RCF (daily driver) but I would love to keep my Vossen's cleaner than a day and stop all that annoying suqealing when I come pulling up to an M4 at a traffice light...LOL
Old 06-19-15, 05:52 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the Carbotech group buy from Speed Freaks on 6-14. I didn't get any email about delays. I'm excited to get them though.
Old 06-19-15, 09:05 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
Hey man please come back and do a review after you have had them installed...the squealing and brake dust is driving me carzy as I don't plan to track my RCF (daily driver) but I would love to keep my Vossen's cleaner than a day and stop all that annoying suqealing when I come pulling up to an M4 at a traffice light...LOL
I would think you'd be More Embarrassed by when the Girls are Drooling over your car in the parking lot & THEN when you go to stop & put your Brakes on & that O so Squealing Sound & then they just turn around & walk off! You can TRY & Explain WHY they do that but DO they Really CARE! Got to Admit it's pretty Embarrassing for such an EXPENSIVE NEW CAR (i Don't Care IF they're Brembo's)!
Old 06-21-15, 12:04 PM
Zydan
Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I would think you'd be More Embarrassed by when the Girls are Drooling over your car in the parking lot & THEN when you go to stop & put your Brakes on & that O so Squealing Sound & then they just turn around & walk off! You can TRY & Explain WHY they do that but DO they Really CARE! Got to Admit it's pretty Embarrassing for such an EXPENSIVE NEW CAR (i Don't Care IF they're Brembo's)!
So true, normal people don't inderstand because it's high performance, they just think you have bad brakes. I can't stand it. Speed Freaks called me Thursday and said they hoped to ship Friday, so once I get iget them on I'll do a review after few days of driving. I just got my wheels waxed and opticoated, helps some with the brake dust for now.
Old 06-23-15, 04:50 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zydan
So true, normal people don't inderstand because it's high performance, they just think you have bad brakes. I can't stand it. Speed Freaks called me Thursday and said they hoped to ship Friday, so once I get iget them on I'll do a review after few days of driving. I just got my wheels waxed and opticoated, helps some with the brake dust for now.
So is the solution to purchase aftermarket pads? The squeal is driving me nuts, and the Lexus dealer as well as Lexus customer service both state there is nothing they can do right now which to me is an awful response. I think this issue was happening on the ISF and Lexus came out with a TSB to correct it with some success. I'd love to see if you guys are able to correct it with these pads, I'd be happy to change mine out rather than wait for a TSB at this point.
Old 06-24-15, 06:21 AM
Venturi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an effort to reduce weight and unsprung weight - and the more important "because I want to" is the there a defined ceramic break kit (rotors, pads etc) for the RC F?
Old 06-30-15, 01:13 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately the backing plates for the front pads for the RC-F are difficult to cut and the original solution to this fell through which caused a delay and inconvenience for the first 4 sets we had ordered. For anyone following this thread now and in the future, this will no longer be a problem going forward from us as we have been working on our own prototype backing plate with an exact OEM fit. This means more Carbotech 1521 street performance compound for everyone who is sick of the dust and noise of the stock pads and/or any Carbotech track/race compounds at an ultra competitive price

-Matt M.
Old 06-30-15, 02:33 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Venturi
In an effort to reduce weight and unsprung weight - and the more important "because I want to" is the there a defined ceramic break kit (rotors, pads etc) for the RC F?
I looked into this a little for you. For the right price anything is possible but to answer your question, no there is no production ready CCM conversion kit for the RC-F. Because there is no CCM rotor available in the exact dimensions that this car uses you would be looking at replacing everything including the calipers front and rear. This is entirely possible and we could look into sourcing everything and custom machining the hats and brackets but I can almost guarantee the dollar amount associated in doing so will be a day ruiner.

To give you an idea Stillen created a CCM conversion kit for the GT-R guys that just includes pads, rotors and hats with a price tag the thick end of $18,000. These costs should continue to fall in the coming years as CCM technology becomes more widely and easily accessible but for now it's just crazy.

-Matt M.
Old 07-01-15, 09:50 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I looked into this a little for you. For the right price anything is possible but to answer your question, no there is no production ready CCM conversion kit for the RC-F. Because there is no CCM rotor available in the exact dimensions that this car uses you would be looking at replacing everything including the calipers front and rear. This is entirely possible and we could look into sourcing everything and custom machining the hats and brackets but I can almost guarantee the dollar amount associated in doing so will be a day ruiner.

To give you an idea Stillen created a CCM conversion kit for the GT-R guys that just includes pads, rotors and hats with a price tag the thick end of $18,000. These costs should continue to fall in the coming years as CCM technology becomes more widely and easily accessible but for now it's just crazy.

-Matt M.
We have a production ready CCM kit and first order is shipping soon. Calipers and Rotors for less than that.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 07-01-15, 10:01 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NickZ
So is the solution to purchase aftermarket pads? The squeal is driving me nuts, and the Lexus dealer as well as Lexus customer service both state there is nothing they can do right now which to me is an awful response. I think this issue was happening on the ISF and Lexus came out with a TSB to correct it with some success. I'd love to see if you guys are able to correct it with these pads, I'd be happy to change mine out rather than wait for a TSB at this point.
part of that TSB was to just cut the pad contact area in the rear brakes to about half the contact patch. This puts more bias on the front and pushes the heat a bit higher to reduce glazing. We should have 2 pad compounds to offer soon, just waiting on verification of the wear sensor interface on the pad. Anyone interested contact us.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot