RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Reason why you picked an RCF

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 07:42 PM
jdolin22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"99% of most people call the RC-F an RC-Fsport."

What does that even mean? Does it mean 99% of 51% of people since that would be most people? Have you really spoken to 100 people, and 99, when quizzed have called it an F-sport?
Or do you just like to complain about other cars and toot your own horn of all the super cars you own?
Old 04-21-15, 07:49 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Good wife! Good garage. A lucky man.
Lol! Thanks Doug, but you are sooooo Right! She REALLY IS! also Glad to be a Member of the Lexus Forum, seems to be a really good group of guys/gals!
Old 04-22-15, 09:23 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up driving a lot of muscle cars—the Shelby GT 350 Cobra, AMX, Corvette, and Camaro SS. I have logged many hours driving my friend’s Aston Martin DB7. I mention the Aston brand because the new RCF feels like it is a hybrid of brutality and elegance rolled into one very unique and proficient machine. The new Aston Martin N430 V8 Vantage fits somewhere in this comparison.

I am an F loyalist. I traded a 2012 ISF with 18,000 miles for the new RCF carbon TVD model. I love the ISF and feel it is one of the world’s best engineered cars in its price range. It’s clearly a bad boy car, and I felt the need to shed that image. I also wanted to move to the RCF as it brings some remarkable performance and luxury in a singularly styled machine.

The range I explored ran from $80,000 t0 $100,000. Porsche, the new Corvette Stingray, and Aston all entered into the picture. I did the BMW thing, and one-time was one too many for me.
The RCF is a very strong two personality vehicle: you can kick back, crank up the 835 watt Mark Levinson system and filter out the outside world, or you can turn a **** twice to the right, throw the shifter into manual, lock the torque converter, and blast through the countryside or burn up the open highways.

I car instills confidence at all levels, and, well, the engine sound, chassis stability, overall agility, corning capability via the TVD, and improved 8-speed transmission pull it all together. I spent $86,000+ (with tax and just about loaded) on the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon machine from Japan, and thus far it is money well spent.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-27-18)
Old 04-22-15, 09:33 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Well that was an entertaining read, sounds like you made a poor choice if it embarrasses you and makes you angry lol
Hahaha! QFT!

I bought my RC F so I can take it off some sweet jumps
Old 04-22-15, 11:34 AM
sloosh
Driver

Just some input from the opposite end of the spectrum here - I am selling off my IS 350 F-Sport this weekend and will be purchasing something faster by the end of the year. The IS was my first luxury car and it has turned me towards having one as my daily driver. Hopping in to someone's "standard" car just doesn't compare. However, it does lack the extra power and is complete untunable. I can't even get 10 extra HP out of it if I wanted to. I don't understand why Lexus would encrypt the ECU. I was initially thinking about a RCF however the car is just too damn heavy. I test drove it, the M4, and a S63 AMG coupe and the RCF just felt a little sluggish by comparison. If by some miracle the ECU is unlocked between now and when I go to purchase I could possibly look at it again. But for now, it looks like the Germans are going to be getting my money....and yeah I'm a little worried about reliability if I go with them, but it's worth the gamble.
Old 04-22-15, 11:39 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, what is truly laughable is, he thinks LFA is 200 lbs heavier than a GTR.
I think what he said is the GTR is a bigger car and weight 200 lbs less than RCF . The GTR also cost a little higher more than RCF and faster than LFA. He is disappoint on Lexus F models.
Old 04-22-15, 12:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
I think what he said is the GTR is a bigger car and weight 200 lbs less than RCF . The GTR also cost a little higher more than RCF and faster than LFA. He is disappoint on Lexus F models.
Well, like many had said, his post comes across as a trolling post.

RC-F is substantially cheaper than a Nissan GTR. Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. $62K base price versus $105K+ base price. Also, with GTR being the slowest selling car on record in the US, it is not exactly the "bargain of the century" its internet fans make it out to be. Especially, while the so-called "underpowered" Porsche 911 fly off the lot.

Besides, there are STi and EVOs that run 9s on the drag strip that cost a fraction so that makes them better than just about any exotic?

Also, him saying "GTR is faster than LFA" is also another ignorant statement. LFA was never built to be a numbers car. It was about the F1 V10 racing car experience in the form of a street supercar.

Like I had stated, LFA was unchanged since 2009 and it blew the doors off the Nissan GTR yearly updated versions in European and American comparos. That is, until 2013 when finally Nissan was able to push enough boost and enough suspension chassis changes and sticky tires to make it go marginally quicker than the 7:14 (2011) of the LFA especially around Nurburgring with a NISMO GT3 spec GTR that was not even a production spec trim.

Heck, even in 2012 the 545 HP 2013 GTR was neck and neck with Randy Pobst on the same day around Laguna Seca with both doing it in 1:36 as was the 458 Italia. That is, with Pobst struggling with LFA's heavy oversteering tail due to lack of sticky tires. The 2013 GTR lap time was actually a bit slower than the LFA Laguna Seca lap time. The earlier versions of GTR (2010) did it in 1:40 with Randy Pobst around Laguna Seca.

Above everything, LFA is ranked regularly as one of the very best driving experience by nearly everyone who drives it, which is what its true objective was. That is why it regularly makes it into the "Top 5" or "Top 10" greatest cars of all time lists.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-22-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 12:48 PM
6i9
Driver

I picked it because I had no interest in owning another BMW (had E36 M3's and M Coupes in the past) that would break down on me. I owned an ISF before the RCF and it was bulletproof during my ownership through 75k miles. I'm a huge F1 fan and was considering AMG, but my friend has a C63 and CLK Black which have had early model year engine issues that I didn't want to deal with (although some people have had to replace their RCF fuel pumps so that's a potential worry)

It has a decent back seat size for my family's height and also fits a car seat for a 3 year old comfortably. I took it on a weekend trip down to San Diego and it fit the luggage for 2 and a stroller easily. Gets good mileage on the open highway, more comfy than the ISF and better interior NVH.

I am not interested in numbers, just driving experience. I have a track car that will destroy an M4 so I don't particularly care if it's 0.3s faster around Willow Springs than the RCF. I only hope to add an exhaust to hear the V8 even better and maybe some wheels/coilovers down the line.
Old 04-22-15, 12:53 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

GTR is a fine car, but isn't it also a portly 3,900 or so pounds? LFA is a fine car.

If you want a true driver's car and throw around LFA and MP4 prices, step away from the computer and buy a 991 GT3 or pay the premium for the new 991 GT3 RS dealers are seeking . . . or get a real super car such as the 04 CGT. I purchased one new (a black) and flipped it, but wish I would have kept it now. That said, I wish I would have kept my air cooled throughout the years with the prices they are fetching now . . .

But, we are talking RC F and Cayman price range and presumably DD characteristics and reliability. GTR is about an RCF + an IS 250 . . . and candidly, I never even considered one throughout the years.

If you want fun, get an Ariel Atom and drive the RC F to work every day.
Old 04-22-15, 04:52 PM
jdolin22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF001
I grew up driving a lot of muscle cars—the Shelby GT 350 Cobra, AMX, Corvette, and Camaro SS. I have logged many hours driving my friend’s Aston Martin DB7. I mention the Aston brand because the new RCF feels like it is a hybrid of brutality and elegance rolled into one very unique and proficient machine. The new Aston Martin N430 V8 Vantage fits somewhere in this comparison.

I am an F loyalist. I traded a 2012 ISF with 18,000 miles for the new RCF carbon TVD model. I love the ISF and feel it is one of the world’s best engineered cars in its price range. It’s clearly a bad boy car, and I felt the need to shed that image. I also wanted to move to the RCF as it brings some remarkable performance and luxury in a singularly styled machine.

The range I explored ran from $80,000 t0 $100,000. Porsche, the new Corvette Stingray, and Aston all entered into the picture. I did the BMW thing, and one-time was one too many for me.
The RCF is a very strong two personality vehicle: you can kick back, crank up the 835 watt Mark Levinson system and filter out the outside world, or you can turn a **** twice to the right, throw the shifter into manual, lock the torque converter, and blast through the countryside or burn up the open highways.

I car instills confidence at all levels, and, well, the engine sound, chassis stability, overall agility, corning capability via the TVD, and improved 8-speed transmission pull it all together. I spent $86,000+ (with tax and just about loaded) on the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon machine from Japan, and thus far it is money well spent.
Glad to hear all of the positive support for the RC-F. This is my first true sports/luxury car. Own a 2012 Supercharged A6 and love it. Keeping it for the winter months and should be getting my fully loaded RC-F in late June. So excited and I love the car. Looked at M3's and C63 amg's and drove an S7 and RS7 but nothing had the "look" the excited me like the RC-F. All of the negative reviews had me second guessing my choice. So it's great to hear people talking about how much they love this car. Thanks!
Old 04-22-15, 06:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G
Originally Posted by jdolin22
Glad to hear all of the positive support for the RC-F. This is my first true sports/luxury car. Own a 2012 Supercharged A6 and love it. Keeping it for the winter months and should be getting my fully loaded RC-F in late June. So excited and I love the car. Looked at M3's and C63 amg's and drove an S7 and RS7 but nothing had the "look" the excited me like the RC-F. All of the negative reviews had me second guessing my choice. So it's great to hear people talking about how much they love this car. Thanks!
You can't grasp this car after an hour or a few laps of driving. The engine wants and needs to rev high and that's when the excitement begins. There have been plenty of stupid comments from reviewers with questionable driving skills who just want to stand out in the sea of RCF reviews.

It's much more than a low rev, short-lived turbo boost. I have not tracked it, but I can say this car has exceptional cornering capabilities and powers through to the 7,300 rpm redline with strength, based on my highway and back road theatrics.

The dual personality of the car is misleading, and many of the reviewers fell short of truly tapping into the RCF's capabilities. It is a different car that challenges historical perceptions of what a high-performance, entry-level super car/coupe should be. It' s a concept taken to production, and an amazing piece of automotive engineering in this guy's opinion.

The industry is taking notice, and the performance of the new F will take a place in racing history in 2016 when it starts to race in the US. Watch.

Enjoy beauty and the beast. It's a great car to drive every day and to take to the track from time to time. Few cars are so stable and planted at high speeds based on a few of my runs. ):-)

Last edited by ISF001; 04-23-15 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 09:55 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by aristott
I hate the fact that Lexus even tries to compare their cars to supercars and other sports cars. I bought my RC-F to tour. 99% of most people call my RC-F an RC-Fsport! Lexus did NOT even enhance their interior to leather dash, more alcantara. It looks 99% the same as the regular RC350 but with very nice bucket seats and LCD display. The exterior should have had wider rear quarter panels, not IS250 exhaust tips, different tail light design over the RC350. If an M4 pulls up next to me I must have my tail between my legs because he will be 3 times faster. My GT-R is a bigger car and weights nearly 200 pounds less and in every way is faster then the LF-A but priced just a bit higher. My Mclaren is light years ahead in performance over the LF-A. What is Lexus doing? I really like how anyone who can sit here and defend Lexus?? most even defending have zero track time or experience driving any great roads in Europe. Mercedes came out with the E55 over 12 YEARS (yes 12 years ago) and has more power than the 2016 Lexus GS-F!! What is Lexus thinking??? just call the GS-F (GS500) because the Jaguar XF V8 has 470hp and XF-R has about 550hp. Either you do it right or don't do it at all. I've been a Lexus owner from 1996 and had a Turbo GS300 in 1997 when most didn't know about their 2JZ engines, Lexus needs to step up their game and if we want all the options then make it available to PAY for it. I don't want to hear the cheap people who can't afford more than a sunroof option keep talking about value. Again I bought my RC-F for touring, the ride is good and it looks great, especially after some mods.
Everyone looks for and likes different things in their vehicles. I've gone from fast and pretty to slow safe and dependable. Owned every model Porsche, new Mercedes AMG's, Aston Martin, Acura NSX. Also several Trucks Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel, etc. as long as you enjoy your ride that's what is important.