RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

ISFs Replaced with RCFs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 11:28 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh really? He said he purchased it in December; was that "early on"? Just curious. I bought mine in Feb and I had never heard of getting TVD without CF, in the States at least.
Old 04-20-15, 01:58 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by followtheF
Oh really? He said he purchased it in December; was that "early on"? Just curious. I bought mine in Feb and I had never heard of getting TVD without CF, in the States at least.
Like 4TehNguyen said, it was a stand alone option in the U.S. for a limited time for $1750. I'm not sure if you can still do it or not.
Old 04-20-15, 02:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCFs started going on sale in Nov. Standalone TVD isnt offered anymore. Kinda sucks that you have to buy that $5500 package to get it. They stopped offering it standalone in January
Old 04-20-15, 02:28 PM
followtheF
Rookie

Interesting, I didn't realize that, thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-15, 10:27 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome photos! Very cool to have his and hers RC-Fs. Like it!
Old 04-24-15, 05:05 PM
MDWoodward
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Very cool! Wondering if you can tell a difference between the TVD & her car's LSD? I'm pretty sure there's another couple on here that did the same as you guys. Believe they posted up on the introduction thread. Seems us Floridians are representing the RC F well.
Hello Everyone,
I finally had a chance to somewhat compare between my two RCFs. Let me start of that I am not an expert race car driver or claim to be but I do enjoy spirited driving. The only racing I have ever done was amateur motorcycle track racing. I have experienced some decent performance cars while I lived in Germany (7 yrs) and Japan (5 yrs); owning Skyline GTR – R32 and R33 (Japanese Spec – HKS Modified Turbos and I/H/E), Fairlady Z Twin Turbo (Japanese Spec) and BMW M3 & M5 (German Spec).

With that said, I am only providing my experience with my 2 RCFs as the comparison of based on my seat of the pants feel. Both cars mileage is about the same. Like I mentioned before, I’m not an expert.

Here is the scenario; there is a safe location to which I am exiting a road to another road, no other vehicles or any dangers (privately owned land). It’s approximately 15 miles from my home and the reason I mention this is that both cars were driven the same route and same speed to the location.

Car 1: RCF/Non Carbon/Sunroof/ML/Split Double Spoke Forged Wheels (36 psi)
Performance Setting: Sports+/Traction Control Off
Fuel: ½ tank

Car 2: RCF/Non Carbon/TVD/No Sunroof/ML/Hand Polished 20 Spoke Forged Wheels (36 psi)
Performance Setting: Sports+/TVD –Track/Traction Control Off
Fuel: ½ tank, slightly more

OAT: 78 degrees
Within 40 mins of each drive for comparison

Entry speed same for both cars, Car 1 (Non-TVD) at apex begin to oversteer but easy corrected with throttle modulation and small steering correction. As Car 1 accelerated out corner, I would get slight wheel spin. I tried this twice with same results. G-meter when I could look at it was between .6 - .7

Car 2 (TVD - Track) same entry speed and at apex very little to no oversteer, was able to accelerate sooner and car felt more planted (built confidence). Second try, entered slightly faster and exited faster. G-meter as I could look at it was .7+. I wish it had a peak reading that was save to view at a later time.

There is a difference on how the car handles with and without the TVD. The TVD feel more planted and allowed more acceleration through apex and exit; and noted by actual exit speed. Also, mentally I think it builds confidence in the car. I tried to make the conditions as close as possible to provide the most accurate assessment. The TVD w/ Carbon Package should handle better than my Non-Carbon due to the slight weight savings. Because I am not a track racer or ever plan on tracking either car; the car far exceeds my abilities and aspirations. Bottom-line, both are outstanding cars and unless you are an expert driver and on a track, you can probably never push the car to its limits.

P.S. Just my experience…
Old 04-24-15, 05:22 PM
MDWoodward
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by followtheF

Hello FollowtheF,
I didn't order it. This was one of the first RCF that Pembroke Pines received. I was having my ISF serviced and the salesman called me looking at it this one. I actually wanted a sunroof but after a little internet checking on my phone it seem like something I would want to have and it was only offered on a limited basis. You can't get the TVD with a sunroof, so since the wife was getting the one with sunroof, I got the one with the TVD.
Old 04-24-15, 05:25 PM
MDWoodward
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 7No
And then you drive it like you stole it, right?!

Awesome story.
Hello 7No,
I plead the 5th...
Old 04-24-15, 05:33 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDWoodward
Hello 7No,
I plead the 5th...
The car does tempt you to explore its limits.

The engine begs to be revved high, and I am only too willing to comply when conditions permit.
Old 04-24-15, 05:34 PM
MDWoodward
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Congrats! My story was Similar, as we went to get her the LS460 & i saw the RCF on the Showroom Floor i kidded her that she might need to Reconsider & get that Sporty Looking Lexus & before we left she talked me into getting it & she left with her LS460! To me, there's NOT a better Riding Car in the WORLD than an LS460 (it just oozes Class & Success) at least to ME! But i do know that IF my wife drove the same car as i do my Buddies would Never let me hear the End of it, Great Buddies i Have Huh! Lol! Ya'll Enjoy your New Rides!
Hello Johnnyreb,
Thanks...I have the same type of buddies you have then. I have to hear it from them every once in a while...then, I tell them my wife's car is faster than your car and the conversation changes...

P.S. LS 460 is an Outstanding car...
Old 04-24-15, 06:28 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hello Johnnyreb,
Thanks...I have the same type of buddies you have then. I have to hear it from them every once in a while...then, I tell them my wife's car is faster than your car and the conversation changes...

P.S. LS 460 is an Outstanding car...
Lol! I Didn't think about that! I Guess that would Shut a few of them Up, though a few of them have some REALLY FAST Cars!
Old 04-26-15, 08:01 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello FollowtheF,
I didn't order it. This was one of the first RCF that Pembroke Pines received. I was having my ISF serviced and the salesman called me looking at it this one. I actually wanted a sunroof but after a little internet checking on my phone it seem like something I would want to have and it was only offered on a limited basis. You can't get the TVD with a sunroof, so since the wife was getting the one with sunroof, I got the one with the TVD.
What a great guy, giving up the sunroof version to the wife. Happy wife, happy life . . . at least that's what wife tells me

Interesting observations about the TVD. Very accustomed to PTV in Porsches. Although I am very old school and hate electronic safety nets as they seem a bit unsettling to me on the track at first, this stuff when done correctly are really nice. I still to this day do not like PSM or other versions of tractiin control and rather have a car feel naturally loose at its limits.

I am also trying to wrap my brain around TVD. I still think if you are at 10/10s at turn in, apex and track out, TVD or PTV offers no benefit. Now if you are behind the curve at apex and trying to make up speed or ground . . .
Old 04-26-15, 11:13 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2015 IS-F offers many improvements over the 2008 IS-F I owned previously so it was just a matter of time for me and a no-brainer.
Old 04-27-15, 09:17 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Hello FollowtheF,
Seems like a few ISF owners have fallen prey to the RC-F while servicing their IS-F. My wife practically begged me trade her ISF in for the RCF once we saw one on the road for the first time! And then we did.

Anyways, congrats on the cars, and for getting a "limited edition" version, and thanks for your impressions on the TVD.
Old 05-01-15, 02:48 PM
detluv313
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

awesome cars and a cool wife I bet to have a RCF herself, I was on the freeway with my wife the other day in my RCF and a GTR kept trying to race as soon as I hit the gas my wife said NO and that was the end of that...

Quick Reply: ISFs Replaced with RCFs