RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

First Year Reliability Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 10:22 AM
1FlySi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Year Reliability Concerns

The reason why I have not seriously looked at BMW or Audi are the stories around reliability and issues with those brands. I have some second hand experience with friends having issues with BMWs some of which were significant. I almost pulled the trigger on a RCF last night but with the rear wing, noises, front seat articulation, and other issues reported it has me a bit spooked. Albeit most of these are issues are not with the power train or electrical systems they are issues nonetheless. To be fair I did purchase a 2014 is350 last year, and I have had no issues with it so far.

What are your thoughts around this. I agree the reports of issues are somewhat limited but so are the numbers of RCFs sold. I strongly beleive in Lexus reliability but I also know that it's a numbers game. If they sell a large amount of RX, ES, IS cars with low issue rates that will mask the overall quality numbers even if the RCFs have a much much higher rate due to the tiny percentage that the RCF makes up of their sales.

What do u guys think?
Old 03-28-15, 10:47 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st runs of any car usually have teething problems. But lexus will sort it out. And like you said...those are pretty minor with respect to 'reliability'. I think you can be an RCF with confidence...
Old 03-28-15, 11:42 AM
7No
Intermediate

I have also heard BMW horror stories. I belong to the local BMW CCA because of the savings at track events and the Autocross events they put on. I get Roundel every month and there have been some interesting gripes in there about BMW maintenance costs and repairs. However, most the BMW owners are fanatically faithful to the brand. My bridge partner has a 2005 M3 that he tracks regularly and, of course, his wife has a bimmer also. They love them.

I put 50,000 miles on an Audi RS5 and had no problems whatsoever with it, including a couple of track events. We also have an SQ5 and it has been perfect so far. Consumers Reports publishes reliability ratings. Lexus is # 1 and Audi is several rungs higher than BMW.

I wish Lexus had an owners club like BMW and Audi. Perhaps they will as the emphasis on performance expands.

The primary reason I purchased the RC F and not another Audi was better expected reliability beyond the warranty period.
Old 03-28-15, 03:37 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlySi
The reason why I have not seriously looked at BMW or Audi are the stories around reliability and issues with those brands. I have some second hand experience with friends having issues with BMWs some of which were significant. I almost pulled the trigger on a RCF last night but with the rear wing, noises, front seat articulation, and other issues reported it has me a bit spooked. Albeit most of these are issues are not with the power train or electrical systems they are issues nonetheless. To be fair I did purchase a 2014 is350 last year, and I have had no issues with it so far.

What are your thoughts around this. I agree the reports of issues are somewhat limited but so are the numbers of RCFs sold. I strongly beleive in Lexus reliability but I also know that it's a numbers game. If they sell a large amount of RX, ES, IS cars with low issue rates that will mask the overall quality numbers even if the RCFs have a much much higher rate due to the tiny percentage that the RCF makes up of their sales.

What do u guys think?
Lol, I would rather have the rear wing up all the time anyway. I also think people are getting a little noid about the engine sounds. I noticed it too, but my car runs like a beast and I had a close friend that is one of the best high end exotic wrenches around listen to mine and laugh at me for asking . . . If you like it, buy it for heavens sake and enjoy the beast.
Old 03-28-15, 03:50 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7No
I have also heard BMW horror stories. I belong to the local BMW CCA because of the savings at track events and the Autocross events they put on. I get Roundel every month and there have been some interesting gripes in there about BMW maintenance costs and repairs. However, most the BMW owners are fanatically faithful to the brand. My bridge partner has a 2005 M3 that he tracks regularly and, of course, his wife has a bimmer also. They love them.

I put 50,000 miles on an Audi RS5 and had no problems whatsoever with it, including a couple of track events. We also have an SQ5 and it has been perfect so far. Consumers Reports publishes reliability ratings. Lexus is # 1 and Audi is several rungs higher than BMW.

I wish Lexus had an owners club like BMW and Audi. Perhaps they will as the emphasis on performance expands.

The primary reason I purchased the RC F and not another Audi was better expected reliability beyond the warranty period.
Both Audis and BMWs seem to be okay right up until the time the warranty goes out. I swear they have it down to a science, because mine went to complete hell after the warranty and the issues literally started about 30 to 60 days after the warranty was gone. I know others with the same experiences.

One of my best buds is a wholesale purchaser for a high end used dealer with 4 lots. They sell Bentleys, Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches and a ton of 3 to 4 year old Audis, BMWs and Mercedes just off lease. He absolutely hates used Audis. He says he gets burned with those a lot and hates buying them out of warranty. I was going to buy a used A7 with very low miles for my frequent trips to Florida from him and both he and the mechanic I mentioned above said DON'T as it will kill you when the warranty is gone.
Old 03-28-15, 04:21 PM
7No
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DougHII
Both Audis and BMWs seem to be okay right up until the time the warranty goes out. I swear they have it down to a science, because mine went to complete hell after the warranty and the issues literally started about 30 to 60 days after the warranty was gone. I know others with the same experiences.

One of my best buds is a wholesale purchaser for a high end used dealer with 4 lots. They sell Bentleys, Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches and a ton of 3 to 4 year old Audis, BMWs and Mercedes just off lease. He absolutely hates used Audis. He says he gets burned with those a lot and hates buying them out of warranty. I was going to buy a used A7 with very low miles for my frequent trips to Florida from him and both he and the mechanic I mentioned above said DON'T as it will kill you when the warranty is gone.
Supposedly, the later year Audis are doing better. Hope so!
Old 03-30-15, 02:02 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

dude buy the RCF without any hesitation. it's a LEXUS!!!!!
Old 04-12-15, 05:53 PM
1FlySi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's add possible fuel pump issues now.
Old 04-12-15, 06:28 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ONLY problems with the Lexus is it's OCD owners, when your car does not run or the motor blows up for 40k when you hit something in the road then post about it.

So far 0 cars having issues but random noise and such, As far as that 1 bad fuel pump issue who knows the dealer may have just said it's an issue because he cant call the customer wrong? Would the car run if it was bad? Also he DROVE the car to the dealer it was not towed in. A real issue is when you have to get towed in the rest posted here is just BS so far.

If you want REAL issues that will have you getting a different car to drive go German.

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 04-12-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 06:32 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1FlySi
Let's add possible fuel pump issues now.
Lol, not just yet about the fuel pump . . . If you are such a worrier, a higher end, high strung import sports car might not be for you.

Most high end sports cars I have owned have their hiccups and idiosyncrasies, especially the Italians. I buy high end sports cars because I like them, they look good and they are fun to drive. I don't buy Ferraris out of warranty any more or with belts after having several $ 14k to $ 17k services and replacing my fair share of cats, manifolds and sick interior parts. I sure wouldn't let the possibility of a few intermittent warranty covered issues deter me from buying the car I truly wanted.

Dude, you are sitting around fretting about what could possibly go around and now claiming a supposed a fuel pump issue based on one that was gunked up and someone on here complaining about a sluggish downshift in normal/automatic mode with an 8 speed automatic transmission . . . Too funny!
Old 04-13-15, 10:41 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My concerns aren't about reliability but, rather, early-adopter syndrome where the next year and the next year and the year after that brings new goodies and features that weren't available in the first year. I experienced it with my 2013 GS-350 and almost every car that I purchased in the first year beginning with my 1967 SS-350 Camaro.
Old 04-13-15, 12:42 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
My concerns aren't about reliability but, rather, early-adopter syndrome where the next year and the next year and the year after that brings new goodies and features that weren't available in the first year. I experienced it with my 2013 GS-350 and almost every car that I purchased in the first year beginning with my 1967 SS-350 Camaro.
How would they sell cars if they never changed?
Old 04-13-15, 03:56 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Almost every vehicle I've ever owned has been the first year of a new model lol

zenki
Japanese word used to describe the 1st model of a particular generation of vehicle.