RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Deja Cruise: RC F vs M4 Track Battle

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 03:48 PM
Moeferd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deja Cruise: RC F vs M4 Track Battle

Today we have a totally new, totally original, groundbreaking car comparison of the BMW M4 and the Lexus RC F. No you haven’t seen it before, because this is an orange RC F vs a yellow M4, not a blue or gray one.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 03-17-15, 07:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chalk one up for the M4. There will be plenty of these swinging in both directions with not a one being conclusive.
Old 03-17-15, 09:10 PM
Db750
Driver

Wow. That wasn't even close.
Old 03-18-15, 05:25 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF001
Chalk one up for the M4. There will be plenty of these swinging in both directions with not a one being conclusive.
Have there been any test to see just how much faster the TVD is than the base option RCF?
Old 03-18-15, 09:42 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Have there been any test to see just how much faster the TVD is than the base option RCF?
Not yet...my comment is based on brief cockpit experience--80 miles. The cornering is phenomenal. I drove the non-TVD, and it cornered extremely well IMO, but the TVD actually bites into the corner and then fires out--a unique experience--with zero slide.

Yaw in the direction of the curve is generated by transferring torque from the outer to inner wheel entering the corner.

During the turn, torque is gradually transferred from the inner wheel to the outer wheel.

On exit, torque is transferred to the outer wheel.
Old 03-19-15, 01:57 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that M4 is a weapon! Looked like a lot of fun around the track too.
Old 03-19-15, 05:05 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The M4 is definitely a competent car on the track for the price range, but check out the video closely. Having raced everything from karts in late 70s to various GT, Formula, spec and etc. classes, I was really curious about the lines and car control of the driver posting these times.

Not even watching the full video gave me a good laugh. Besides lines . . . The problem about rolling start track times is speed carried through last turn before start finish line when not coming out of consistent hot 10/10s laps.

Guess where the 3 second difference came from? Right at the beginning. There was almost a 3 second difference at first turn in on the left right right chicane at the 9 second mark for the RC F and the 6 second mark for the M4 and the exit (look at yellow curb) was 12 seconds for RC F and 9 second for M4.

Huh? Were people posting these times and doing the article oblivious to this?

The 3 second time difference in entry and exit times through turns 1 and 2 chicane simply means the M4 came out of the exit turn and was carrying a whole lot more speed when crossing the start line. The RC F did not lose much time after that first chicane (which would have had very similar exit speeds for both cars regardless of speed carried into turn 1) throughout the rest of the track.

Watch for yourself. I did not pause or look at exact time of track out of turn 2, but there is a yellow curb marker at track out on the left of the cars. The RC F passes this at around 12 seconds. The M4 passes it at around the 9 seconds.

For crying out loud, the turn in times at turn 1 from in the cockpit and out of **** pit view are about 3 seconds off. Hilarious.

The only thing this video shows is not that great of lines, a huge discrepancy in speed across start line and that RC F was very close in time to the M4 after turn in on turn 1 (6 second mark for M4) throughout the remainder of the track after the difference in speed across start line was negated by turns 1 and 2 chicane.

Last edited by DougHII; 03-19-15 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 05:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

good analysis, I will have to look at it when I get home. Do you have any analysis on the Motor Trend Head 2 Head where they were .3 sec difference on streets of willow? That one was a rolling start also. Just find it funny that Probst, in a side by side video test, on a bigger track only managed .3 sec difference. Yet this small track is over 3 seconds of difference.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-19-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 05:51 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DougHII
The M4 is definitely a competent car on the track for the price range, but check out the video closely. Having raced everything from karts in late 70s to various GT, Formula, spec and etc. classes, I was really curious about the lines and car control of the driver posting these times.

Not even watching the full video gave me a good laugh. Besides lines . . . The problem about rolling start track times is speed carried through last turn before start finish line when not coming out of consistent hot 10/10s laps.

Guess where the 3 second difference came from? Right at the beginning. There was almost a 3 second difference at first turn in on the left right right chicane at the 9 second mark for the RC F and the 6 second mark for the M4 and the exit (look at yellow curb) was 12 seconds for RC F and 9 second for M4.

Huh? Were people posting these times and doing the article oblivious to this?

The 3 second time difference in entry and exit times through turns 1 and 2 chicane simply means the M4 came out of the exit turn and was carrying a whole lot more speed when crossing the start line. The RC F did not lose much time after that first chicane (which would have had very similar exit speeds for both cars regardless of speed carried into turn 1) throughout the rest of the track.

Watch for yourself. I did not pause or look at exact time of track out of turn 2, but there is a yellow curb marker at track out on the left of the cars. The RC F passes this at around 12 seconds. The M4 passes it at around the 9 seconds.

For crying out loud, the turn in times at turn 1 from in the cockpit and out of **** pit view are about 3 seconds off. Hilarious.

The only thing this video shows is not that great of lines, a huge discrepancy in speed across start line and that RC F was very close in time to the M4 after turn in on turn 1 (6 second mark for M4) throughout the remainder of the track after the difference in speed across start line was negated by turns 1 and 2 chicane.
A hot lap time is a hot lap time. It doesn't matter if you put the start finish in the middle of a chicane or at the end of the front stretch. It's the time it takes you to get around the course, no? Sure, we can always plot where a car is gaining or losing time. But the only thing that matters is the stopwatch.

Or am I missing something?
Old 03-19-15, 05:53 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
good analysis, I will have to look at it when I get home. Do you have any analysis on the Motor Trend Head 2 Head where they were .3 sec difference on streets of willow? That one was a rolling start also
Yes, but was not that a professional driver that would know better. Anyone that has spent any time trying to qualify or post lap times for qualifying knows and understands what I am talking about.

There is not a problem if you are running a couple of hot laps at 10/10s and with consistent times before starting the timer. There is also not a problem if you are a pro, know the car extremely well and set up the car through the last turn before the straight at a 10/10s exit speed.

I know within inches my marks for braking, turn in, apex and track out. If I am off even slightly on last turn before running a hot lap, I back off and try again next lap.

The first thing I looked for was his orientation and track out position before crossing the start finish line to try and figure out his speed there. Once seeing this and marking time at a couple of cones at the beginning and toward the middle (I think around 40sih second mark on a gradual left hander), I did not see any more.

I also have to laugh at people that think seeing a car oversteering and looking like a handful as being a sign of great track ability. That simply means marks are missed and one is losing time.
Old 03-19-15, 07:14 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DougHII
Yes, but was not that a professional driver that would know better. Anyone that has spent any time trying to qualify or post lap times for qualifying knows and understands what I am talking about.

There is not a problem if you are running a couple of hot laps at 10/10s and with consistent times before starting the timer. There is also not a problem if you are a pro, know the car extremely well and set up the car through the last turn before the straight at a 10/10s exit speed.

I know within inches my marks for braking, turn in, apex and track out. If I am off even slightly on last turn before running a hot lap, I back off and try again next lap.

The first thing I looked for was his orientation and track out position before crossing the start finish line to try and figure out his speed there. Once seeing this and marking time at a couple of cones at the beginning and toward the middle (I think around 40sih second mark on a gradual left hander), I did not see any more.

I also have to laugh at people that think seeing a car oversteering and looking like a handful as being a sign of great track ability. That simply means marks are missed and one is losing time.
i understand all of what youre saying about hitting your marks and the correct lines and all. i guess im confused as to why you would call him a professional driver? he's a professional journalist that writes about cars but i've seen nothing to make me believe that he is any more of a professional driver than carlos lagos.

so yeah...Mr Disdale isnt going to be anywhere near as consistent with his lines as someone like you or tiff niedel. im not quite sure how that invalidates the results, tho. especially since the theory goes that the M4 is the wild child that only responds to professional hands while the RC-F has more approachable speed for us common folk.

and yeah...people that think sliding the rear all over the place is 'fast' are idiots.
Old 03-19-15, 08:34 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
i understand all of what youre saying about hitting your marks and the correct lines and all. i guess im confused as to why you would call him a professional driver? he's a professional journalist that writes about cars but i've seen nothing to make me believe that he is any more of a professional driver than carlos lagos.

so yeah...Mr Disdale isnt going to be anywhere near as consistent with his lines as someone like you or tiff niedel. im not quite sure how that invalidates the results, tho. especially since the theory goes that the M4 is the wild child that only responds to professional hands while the RC-F has more approachable speed for us common folk.

and yeah...people that think sliding the rear all over the place is 'fast' are idiots.
Doug is referring to Randy Probst who is a professional race car driver..