RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Chirping Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 10:09 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direct Injection Pumps Chirping

Anyone else getting a chirping noise from the engine? It started happening yesterday but quickly went away. Today it's been happening more. It seems to be coming from something that looks like a metal bowl on both sides of the engine. I took it to the dealer once but it wasn't making the noise when it got there so nothing they could do about it. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow when its light outside. Any input would be helpful! Thanks.

Last edited by boriii; 03-19-15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 05:20 PM
boriii
Rookie

I took it back to the dealer because it was making the noise again and sounds to be getting louder. They said that it sounds like the direct injection pump but cant be sure unless I leave my car there. I didn't want to leave it there over the weekend so I'll take it in next week. Also, they didn't have another car to compare the engine sound with so if anyone can tell me if they're also getting cricket like sounds from the pump, it would be very helpful. It literally does sound like a cricket. The other side chirps as well but its not as loud yet. Heres a picture:
Old 03-19-15, 06:53 PM
boriii
Rookie

I took it to the dealer and they're saying its supposed to sound like that but I'm pretty sure its not. Found the reason in the comments section of a FRS doing the same thing. Mine started at around 3900 miles.

FRS

Mine

Last edited by boriii; 03-19-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:37 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine makes a similar sound. Squirrels on the wheel trying to get a nut. Lol, I didn't hear it until reading your post. Now its all I hear. Thanks!

Kidding aside, I really do have a similar noise and I think it is normal. We are still within our warranties if not.
Old 03-19-15, 09:52 PM
boriii
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Mine makes a similar sound. Squirrels on the wheel trying to get a nut. Lol, I didn't hear it until reading your post. Now its all I hear. Thanks!

Kidding aside, I really do have a similar noise and I think it is normal. We are still within our warranties if not.
Yeah I think its always made the noise but really couldn't hear it with the hood closed before. Now I can even hear it driving with the windows up! Maybe it's just all in my head but damn its loud. Can even hear it from 30 ft away with the hood closed...
Old 03-20-15, 04:00 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Keep us updated. I was waiting to see what you found out. If a problem, I was going to take mine.
Old 03-20-15, 06:08 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine makes the same type of noise. I only can hear it when step out of the car or with the window down at a stop. I will let the mechanics know when I take it in for 1K check up.
Old 03-20-15, 11:30 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanical Movement sound(Clicking)= Yamaha Heads
A chirping/whistling sound that is not in sync with the engine RPM = Direct Injection Fuel Pump

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 03-20-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 04:54 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a different loud sound. It is a loud humming.
it comes from the area in front of the rear driver side wheel. It is mostly coming from the rear seat behind the driver.
it actually hums for a few seconds after the car is turned off. It was on the rack and the tech said he thought it was the fuel pump. There are no bulletins and Lexus techs were scratching their heads. They made a video audio tape to send to Lexus and gave me the car back.
I will keep everyone updated on what is uncovered.
Old 03-25-15, 03:21 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

FYI-
My hummimg noise required the dismantling on my fuel pump and 'debris' was found in it. My fuel pump is being returned to the Lexus HQ for evaluation.
A new one is being installed tomorrow.
Old 03-25-15, 03:30 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads up warning...
Old 03-25-15, 05:08 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
FYI-
My hummimg noise required the dismantling on my fuel pump and 'debris' was found in it. My fuel pump is being returned to the Lexus HQ for evaluation.
A new one is being installed tomorrow.
Bad fuel from Japan or state side?
Old 03-25-15, 05:56 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ISF001
Bad fuel from Japan or state side?
USA Gas. I asked specifically about gas. Tech said it wasn't dirty gas. I assume metal shavings.?
Old 03-26-15, 04:18 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
USA Gas. I asked specifically about gas. Tech said it wasn't dirty gas. I assume metal shavings.?
Not necessarily...It could be a refinery issue (residue). Are they draining your tank?

If the F was running rough, I'd have them drain it.
Old 03-27-15, 09:17 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Mechanical Movement sound(Clicking)= Yamaha Heads
A chirping/whistling sound that is not in sync with the engine RPM = Direct Injection Fuel Pump
Can you explain the clicking sound? I have this click-click sound I hear at idle from the engine bay. I don't hear it with the hood closed and inside the car because it's too insulated.

Not sure what it is in the Yamaha valvetrain that would cause this... sounded like low oil valve ticking but I checked the levels

Quick Reply: Chirping Noise...