RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 09:40 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
New here and this is not perhaps a good way to start out, but here goes and I apologize in advance if I ruffle any tail feathers.

I am blown away that people would cancel an order on any street car because there is something in the price range that might have a .X advantage around a closed circuit course in the hands of very capable driver or because of an interesting, but negative, review.

The vast majority of the population cannot drive at 10/10s around a closed circuit course and most cannot even approach a true 8/10s or 9/10s on a closed circuit course. Where is anyone going to be driving these cars at 9/10s + on public roads . . . Most on here probably would be able to drive at a brisker pace in an RC F than an M4 due to inherent understeer v. oversteer in chassis set up.

I can take my old 2006 somewhat weight reduced 190 hp Elise that I instructed in for years and run faster laps on most closed circuit courses than 99.999% of the population driving any Ms, Z0s, 993, 6 or 7s and etc. Sure they can beat me 0 - 60 or in 1/4 mile (as can family cars and some SUVs), but who the heck really forks out any considerable amount of money for a street car based solely on .2 or .3 quicker 0 - 60 times.

I completely get if someone said going with M4, RS5, C63 or etc. because RC F looks are not for you, comfort is not for you or size is not compatible with one's needs. Canceling an order, however, because of a review or lap times in the hands of a professional driver seems more like an ego/pride based decision than a rationale decision based on your experience driving the car compared to various cars and based on subjective factors such as looks, comfort and meeting certain needs.

I am a performance junky and raced Porsche GT3 cup, F Mazda pro, F Atlantic and various spec classes since mid 90s. For 10 + years, my daily drivers were various 99X model Porsche TTs. The RCF F is my first non-Porsche (1 BMW excluded) daily driver since 1992 and my first car from Japan since a 1987 MR2 I had when I was 19, although my wife recently purchased an IS F-Sport.

I like the looks of the RC F. I think it is a fresh style when some of the other brand designs are tired and need a face lift. I like the interior of the car. It sounds good and is a very nice driving car with sufficient performance on tap to have some fun on public roads. Perhaps at 47, I am just getting old and out of touch . . ., but no reason to get all worked up over some silly negative review or recent lap times by a professional driver. Spend time in it yourself and in the competitors' cars and purchase based on your subjective experience and what makes you happy.
^^^Refreshing...Cheers!
Old 03-04-15, 09:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
New here and this is not perhaps a good way to start out, but here goes and I apologize in advance if I ruffle any tail feathers.

I am blown away that people would cancel an order on any street car because there is something in the price range that might have a .X advantage around a closed circuit course in the hands of very capable driver or because of an interesting, but negative, review.

The vast majority of the population cannot drive at 10/10s around a closed circuit course and most cannot even approach a true 8/10s or 9/10s on a closed circuit course. Where is anyone going to be driving these cars at 9/10s + on public roads . . . Most on here probably would be able to drive at a brisker pace in an RC F than an M4 due to inherent understeer v. oversteer in chassis set up.

I can take my old 2006 somewhat weight reduced 190 hp Elise that I instructed in for years and run faster laps on most closed circuit courses than 99.999% of the population driving any Ms, Z0s, 993, 6 or 7s and etc. Sure they can beat me 0 - 60 or in 1/4 mile (as can family cars and some SUVs), but who the heck really forks out any considerable amount of money for a street car based solely on .2 or .3 quicker 0 - 60 times.

I completely get if someone said going with M4, RS5, C63 or etc. because RC F looks are not for you, comfort is not for you or size is not compatible with one's needs. Canceling an order, however, because of a review or lap times in the hands of a professional driver seems more like an ego/pride based decision than a rationale decision based on your experience driving the car compared to various cars and based on subjective factors such as looks, comfort and meeting certain needs.

I am a performance junky and raced Porsche GT3 cup, F Mazda pro, F Atlantic and various spec classes since mid 90s. For 10 + years, my daily drivers were various 99X model Porsche TTs. The RCF F is my first non-Porsche (1 BMW excluded) daily driver since 1992 and my first car from Japan since a 1987 MR2 I had when I was 19, although my wife recently purchased an IS F-Sport.

I like the looks of the RC F. I think it is a fresh style when some of the other brand designs are tired and need a face lift. I like the interior of the car. It sounds good and is a very nice driving car with sufficient performance on tap to have some fun on public roads. Perhaps at 47, I am just getting old and out of touch . . ., but no reason to get all worked up over some silly negative review or recent lap times by a professional driver. Spend time in it yourself and in the competitors' cars and purchase based on your subjective experience and what makes you happy.
This is a perfect example of how a car purchase decision should be made and he is probably a professional driver who not only know what he is talking about but also one who can drive a car fast!
Old 03-04-15, 11:26 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, just saw Top Gear....they crapped all over that car.

Then it under steered right off the track...so bad they didn't even run it on the track.
Old 03-04-15, 11:29 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here, here! I just don't get the big deal about 400 pounds. No track stuff for me. I get a charge out of going through the gears, well, the first three anyway, on my LS Sport. I expect to be ecstatic when my RC F is delivered. Just hoping to keep the underwear from being soiled.
Old 03-04-15, 12:12 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Here, here! I just don't get the big deal about 400 pounds. No track stuff for me. I get a charge out of going through the gears, well, the first three anyway, on my LS Sport. I expect to be ecstatic when my RC F is delivered. Just hoping to keep the underwear from being soiled.
Go drive a 'vette/miata and get back to us. Weight matters.
Old 03-04-15, 12:41 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Go drive a 'vette/miata and get back to us. Weight matters.
But what if he were to drive a GTR?
Old 03-04-15, 12:44 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by DrRick
But what if he were to drive a GTR?
Can't fight physics...still a heavy car....
Old 03-04-15, 01:22 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTR defies those physics thru engineering, tho.
Old 03-04-15, 01:22 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misterskiz
can't fight physics...still a heavy car....
gtr..............
Old 03-04-15, 01:50 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GTR all day long, pound to pound one of the best cars ever made in our century on this very planet. Period! Yes, it is relatively heavy but its handling and agility is on par if not exceed lightweight cars. Haha, it does defy physics in a way like DrRick mentioned.

GTR can smoke a bunch of performance cars including super cars in both straight lines and cornering all day long anytime anywhere! It deserves to be called the king on street.
Old 03-04-15, 02:05 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True... If I were at lexus I would be looking at the Hellcat for inspiration. Just imagine an RCF with 650hp! A high Hp RCF would dominate the market and make almost all of its competition pointless.
Old 03-04-15, 02:46 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll wait for the collaboration with bmw and toyota...
Old 03-04-15, 04:08 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, just saw Top Gear....they crapped all over that car.

Then it under steered right off the track...so bad they didn't even run it on the track.
A car exceeding its limits, assuming proper maintenance throttle and balance, will do one of two things: understeer or oversteer. One can pretty much intentionally induce understeer in any car and then intentionally aggravate the situation by remaining on throttle and keeping weight back. Understeer is easy to correct with a a slight throttle off weight shift and small arc increasing inputs in the fronts until they grip . . . unless you completely blew the corner with a weight back abrupt turn in and cannot bleed speed.

I have not seen the video, but Clarkson knows what he is doing. If it put it in the grass, he got frustrated, stayed on throttle, kept weight back and probably did it on purpose. I doubt seriously he would blow a corner that bad in any car to accidentally understeer off the road.
Old 03-04-15, 04:30 PM
Razorthin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's refreshing to see all of these level headed RCF Owners in here praising their nice cars without trying to tear another car down. Enjoy in good health!
Old 03-04-15, 09:56 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
True... If I were at lexus I would be looking at the Hellcat for inspiration. Just imagine an RCF with 650hp! A high Hp RCF would dominate the market and make almost all of its competition pointless.
Surely you jest!

Quick Reply: RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st