RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 09:53 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who owned an IS-F for a short time (6 months) and has owned 3 BMWs since (E90, E92, F80 M3s) I can say I'm pretty disappointed with the RCF. I was a big fan of my ISF but wanted a manual again.

I wanted it to be a true competitor like the ISF was to the E92. Unfortunately the RCF is still competing with the E92.

I also saw in some posts that the test mules at these comparison drives didn't have adaptive suspension in the BMW. Seems like that's stacking the deck a bit as almost everyone orders that. At least anyone worried about daily drive-ability.
Old 03-02-15, 09:57 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk08
As someone who owned an IS-F for a short time (6 months) and has owned 3 BMWs since (E90, E92, F80 M3s) I can say I'm pretty disappointed with the RCF. I was a big fan of my ISF but wanted a manual again.

I wanted it to be a true competitor like the ISF was to the E92. Unfortunately the RCF is still competing with the E92.

I also saw in some posts that the test mules at these comparison drives didn't have adaptive suspension in the BMW. Seems like that's stacking the deck a bit as almost everyone orders that. At least anyone worried about daily drive-ability.
As one who has owned an M, I am pretty disappointment with the M4.

I bought the RCF. The RCF is not completing with the E92. It's in a different class.
Old 03-02-15, 10:02 AM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Cancelled my order.
Just out of curiosity... Have you driven the RC-F?

I received mine 2 days ago. I expected it to be fat and with poor handling as the negative reviews says. Truth is, this car can corner much faster than I'm willing to, last night i took a roundabout at high speed with my foot down, there was little tire squeak and then just pure grip, it was amazing.

So I realized the true purpose of the RC-F: to give the driver the sense of confidence and control over the vehicle, at any speed, in any road. Because when you drive a car that makes you constantly wonder and worry if you'll lose control, it's no longer fun to drive, it becomes stressful with time.
Old 03-02-15, 10:22 AM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
^^^^This.

Anyone who bought into this anti-Lexus commercial is incredibly gullible and naïve.

Clarkson's acted like an unbearable buffoon.
Yes, Clarkson is a buffoon. Unfortunately for Lexus, he's a very popular buffoon whose opinion carries a great deal of weight amongst enthusiasts. Especially older enthusiasts, with disposable income, who really don't like regretting a (subjectively) bad purchase decision in a hotly contested market segment.

I personally won't deride anyone for liking or defending the RC-F. My beef with Lexus is that they knew exactly what they were up against and still refused to bring their "A" game. It would be one thing if they actually let it all hang out, engineering-wise, and were less than successful. But the RC-F looks exactly like a hedged bet, needlessly compromised, and to what end?

As an odd counterpoint to all this, watch Ignition's review (Carlos Lago - Motor Trend) of the Challenger Hellcat. We can argue all day long about build quality comparisons, target audience, and general insanity of the car, but his contention that it's a very good, very comfortable, stupid-fast $60K GT is rather insightful. How exactly does the RC-F stack up against that, much less its actual market competition? Not very well, I suggest, and it hurts to say that. They should have done better.
Old 03-02-15, 10:27 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISF001
As one who has owned an M, I am pretty disappointment with the M4.

I bought the RCF. The RCF is not completing with the E92. It's in a different class.
I compared the RCF to the E92 in terms of performance. I think they are definitely in the same class there.

What is your disappointment with the M4? Too light and fast? Or just the typical 'it sounds bad bro'.

Which M did you own out of curiosity?

Last edited by dmk08; 03-02-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 10:48 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

What I don’t understand is that Clarkson completely slated the car, so why didn’t he let the stig take it round the track?, if Clarkson’s review was in any way accurate the stig would have put in a really poor time and Clarkson could have slated it even more.
Or Just a thought, perhaps the stig did take it round the track and it did a good time, they then couldn’t show it as that would make Clarkson look a bigger **** than he already is.
Old 03-02-15, 10:50 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Ive never seen them not run the car on the track.
Old 03-02-15, 11:15 AM
Razorthin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris8152
What I don’t understand is that Clarkson completely slated the car, so why didn’t he let the stig take it round the track?, if Clarkson’s review was in any way accurate the stig would have put in a really poor time and Clarkson could have slated it even more.
Or Just a thought, perhaps the stig did take it round the track and it did a good time, they then couldn’t show it as that would make Clarkson look a bigger **** than he already is.
^^^THIS!!! The RCF was so fast around the track that he COMPLETLY trashed it so no one would even be interested in seeing a track time. Thereby single handidly saving Audi, MB and BMW from being embarrassed. Oh, And the stand still race with the M4 was staged to make the RCF look TERRIBLE as well. I bet he didn't step all the way down on the pedal.

Anyone else want a tin foil hat to keep you safe from the mind control trickery TG and multiple other media outlets are trying to dupe us with?
Old 03-02-15, 11:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorthin1
^^^THIS!!! The RCF was so fast around the track that he COMPLETLY trashed it so no one would even be interested in seeing a track time. Thereby single handidly saving Audi, MB and BMW from being embarrassed. Oh, And the stand still race with the M4 was staged to make the RCF look TERRIBLE as well. I bet he didn't step all the way down on the pedal.

Anyone else want a tin foil hat to keep you safe from the mind control trickery TG and multiple other media outlets are trying to dupe us with?
^^^This. I rarely agree with you.

I'm glad you are buying into the yellow journalism being spun by crotchety Clarkson.

THERE WAS NO REVIEW--GET IT?
Old 03-02-15, 11:24 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I compared the RCF to the E92 in terms of performance. I think they are definitely in the same class there.

What is your disappointment with the M4? Too light and fast? Or just the typical 'it sounds bad bro'.

Which M did you own out of curiosity?
it really does sound bad, tho. the wife test drove one this weekend and she said....'it sounds like a lawnmower' as it was idling. i will keep the rest of the opinions and decisions gleaned from the test drive to myself
Old 03-02-15, 11:54 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is he hated the TVD trying to control the way the car reacted, the LFA has none of that BS.
Old 03-02-15, 12:02 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chris8152
I think you might have missed the point... they are making a statement that the car is so bad, its lap time is irrelevant. RCF has already shown that that it could hang in the right conditions, but a quick spin 'round the track will not change how it drives or what it is.
Old 03-02-15, 12:06 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
My guess is he hated the TVD trying to control the way the car reacted, the LFA has none of that BS.
that could very well be true...
Old 03-02-15, 12:11 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrRick
it really does sound bad, tho. the wife test drove one this weekend and she said....'it sounds like a lawnmower' as it was idling. i will keep the rest of the opinions and decisions gleaned from the test drive to myself
Interesting. Mine is a deep popping noise at idle. The 'lawnmower' affect seems present on the stock exhaust with the valves closed. Maybe it was in the 30s cold start loop?

I know I know more money but I just put the MPE on the car. Seemed to solve sound issues. though.

I see you're in ATL if you want to hear what an MPE + JB4 M3 sounds like let me know we can meet up I would love to check out an RCF in person too.
Old 03-02-15, 12:23 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Mine is a deep popping noise at idle. The 'lawnmower' affect seems present on the stock exhaust with the valves closed. Maybe it was in the 30s cold start loop?

I know I know more money but I just put the MPE on the car. Seemed to solve sound issues. though.

I see you're in ATL if you want to hear what an MPE + JB4 M3 sounds like let me know we can meet up I would love to check out an RCF in person too.
Is this Dave? lol

Quick Reply: RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st