Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Cancelled my order.
Old 03-02-15, 06:09 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
I think what a couple of folks on this forum don't understand is the disappointment in Lexus' philosophy from us 'older' folks. The ones that hopped on the train back when 'L-Tuned' was a thing. WE remember 'something wicked this way comes'. Back when the GS400 put ALL of the competition to shame.

We KNOW that they have it in them but have been frustrated ever since the 3rd gen GS that they never kept up with the competition. So yes...the RCF and GSF are fantastic cars. But arent quite what they COULD have been. And that's kinda sad.

ESPECIALLY since we obviously want lexus to win!!!
Agreed. Someone way back when said "we want to make the fastest production 4 door sedan in the world" and then did it. Then Lexus took that person and threw them off a cliff never to be heard from again.
Old 03-02-15, 06:48 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched the video---I am curious why all the other reviews on the RCF talk about the predictability and ease of control of it's handling and then I see JC all over the track. It almost appears that he purposely was putting the car out of control
Old 03-02-15, 07:22 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So my RC F is supposed to arrive at the end of March, and I am now second guessing my decision. It's not that I really care what Clarkson thinks, but this now piles on to the negative reviews of the vehicle with Chris Harris pretty much stating the same things Clarkson said. I would have to assume that this type of negative press will start to affect the resale value of the vehicle down the road.

Before you guys start bashing me, I am not saying that I'm cancelling my order and jumping ship. After driving the vehicle at the Asphalt Up event as well as a fairly long test drive, I think the car has plenty of performance, and I do like the look of it (which is also getting some critical reviews). I am not a fan of German or American vehicles due to reliability issues, but there is some pretty impressive hardware out there including the new V series vehicles from Cadillac, the M twins of course, and the new AMG and RS vehicles that are coming down the pipe. I have to question why the heck Lexus didn't spend more time trying to develop the vehicle, they were willing to go back to the drawing board numerous times during the LFA's development.

I'm going to spend some time revisiting some of the competition and then see where I stand, I have a few weeks to make sure that I form my own opinion while taking in to consideration some of the points that reviewers are bringing up.
Old 03-02-15, 07:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BAlbright
Just watched the video---I am curious why all the other reviews on the RCF talk about the predictability and ease of control of it's handling and then I see JC all over the track. It almost appears that he purposely was putting the car out of control
when he wanted to get the car sideways it would fight him and go back to gripping. S2000 was a similar way, some people were disappointed that it couldnt be drifted...because it has so much grip. Doesnt mean its a crappy car if you cant slide it.
Old 03-02-15, 08:16 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BAlbright
Precisely...this was pure bullsh_t.

JC has achieved his lowest low.

Have you seen ANYONE lose control of the RC F? It was a true travesty.
Old 03-02-15, 08:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when he wanted to get the car sideways it would fight him and go back to gripping. S2000 was a similar way, some people were disappointed that it couldnt be drifted...because it has so much grip. Doesnt mean its a crappy car if you cant slide it.
Despite Clarkson's anti-Lexus commercial, the RC F apparently drifts quite well.

This is Werner Budding drifting the Lexus RCF TVD. He, unlike Clarkson, managed to understand HOW to drive the car.

Clarkson, Your day may have come to hop OUT of the cockpit. This piece was yellow journalism to the bone. I hope the Germans are adequately painting your palms with pounds.

Last edited by ISF001; 03-02-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 08:29 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nuttybar08
Previous IS-F owner here. In my mind, the real issue with the RC-F's weight is this: Lexus pays good money to people who are supposed to know what the competition is up to. Lexus should have had an inkling early-on as to where BMW was headed with the M4's power-to-weight, knew exactly where MB was going with the C63, and that the compromised Frankenstein RC chassis simply couldn't get it done against either. The only way *this* car should be this heavy is if it was sporting AWD, but it isn't. And it sure as hell isn't packing the horsepower/torque to compensate (or overcompensate, see: Hellcat). The looks are another massive can of worms.

I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for any of this considering the development money and engineering talent at Lexus' disposal. It looks suspiciously like a lazy effort, and that's what pisses Jezza (and me) off. They could've done much better, and were demanded to, knowing that the competition wasn't going to take a breather. There's no way I would upgrade from an IS-F, when the only obvious "upgrades" are price and weight.

Edit: I'm curious to know if IS-F owners/fans are enthused at all with the RC-F, or if it's mainly people new to the F models.
Oh they knew it would not be up to par. By they I meant engineers cause they were given some illogical compromise to work with. By compromise I meant frankenchassis. They were given that for sole reason so they can have coupe and convertible for less on universal chassis. So RC-F never stood any chance against competition as far as the raw number go but they used its weight to balance the crap out of it, its a very well composed and confident car that anyone can drive hard unlike current M4 and AMGs of forever.

In the end Toyota wanted RC-F for bragging rights to get some volume out of RC F-Sport and upcoming RC Convertible F-Sport. Its a showroom/PR piece that turned out better than they ever imagined but they nailed one thing right If you ask me, they debuted flagship trim together or before ordinary affordable, cheaper version and that's clever.
Old 03-02-15, 08:33 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

You're dreaming. The RC-F has already outperformed the competition more than once. This is old news. Your eyes are wide shut.

But, the RC-F will promote sells of ALL Lexus cars by well-deserved brand amplification.

It sounds like you prefer the widow maker. Go for it.

Originally Posted by Vladi
Oh they knew it would not be up to par. By they I meant engineers cause they were given some illogical compromise to work with. By compromise I meant frankenchassis. They were given that for sole reason so they can have coupe and convertible for less on universal chassis. So RC-F never stood any chance against competition as far as the raw number go but they used its weight to balance the crap out of it, its a very well composed and confident car that anyone can drive hard unlike current M4 and AMGs of forever.

In the end Toyota wanted RC-F for bragging rights to get some volume out of RC F-Sport and upcoming RC Convertible F-Sport. Its a showroom/PR piece that turned out better than they ever imagined but they nailed one thing right If you ask me, they debuted flagship trim together or before ordinary affordable, cheaper version and that's clever.
Old 03-02-15, 08:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

And if you liked Clarkson in this absurd RC F review, you will love him in his next...

I mean did you really take this to be a serious review?
Attached Thumbnails RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st-clarkson.jpg  
Old 03-02-15, 08:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so according to facebook they actually took the velociraptor on the track with the Stig. So RCF wasnt good enough but a velociraptor is?
Old 03-02-15, 08:54 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

The review was a bit harsh. It seemed like half the review was the LFA vs RC-F which are obviously different cars. Either way, him putting the car in 'EXPERT' mode is what I believe may have led to him sliding into the grass (my theory). If you look at BMW the M3/M4/M5/M6 has always been their brand top of the line besides the new I8 now. So BMW doesn't really have an LFA competitor. This being said, I think Clarkson was just expecting more out of the RC-F seeing what Lexus was capable of doing with the LFA, rather than comparing it to the cars direct competition. I think if the car was lighter (300-500 LBS) this may have changed the review by a lot. It is a heavy car. This alone and him feeling it as he was driving, it was all down hill from there.
Old 03-02-15, 08:56 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I think the CH review was much better. That said, JC said the came thing as CH in a way to get good ratings.
Originally Posted by nuttybar08
Edit: I'm curious to know if IS-F owners/fans are enthused at all with the RC-F, or if it's mainly people new to the F models.
IMO Its mainly people new to the F models and those who dont really care about performance but understand that the RCF is one amazing GT cruiser. From what Ive seen on the forums, ISF owners are tending to see the RCF for what it is and taking the good with the bad. Most of us understand that based on pure performance, the RCF isnt worth losing 2 doors and a spacious interior over. Most will probably do what I did and pick up an FRS/BRZ with the money that they were expecting to use on upgrading to the RCF. If i didnt already have an ISF, getting into an RCF would be a serious option... But since I do, having an ISF and FRS in my garage is a no brainier.
Old 03-02-15, 09:08 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason2801
The review was a bit harsh. It seemed like half the review was the LFA vs RC-F which are obviously different cars. Either way, him putting the car in 'EXPERT' mode is what I believe may have led to him sliding into the grass (my theory). If you look at BMW the M3/M4/M5/M6 has always been their brand top of the line besides the new I8 now. So BMW doesn't really have an LFA competitor. This being said, I think Clarkson was just expecting more out of the RC-F seeing what Lexus was capable of doing with the LFA, rather than comparing it to the cars direct competition. I think if the car was lighter (300-500 LBS) this may have changed the review by a lot. It is a heavy car. This alone and him feeling it as he was driving, it was all down hill from there.
sliding into the grass was schtick. as was most of the exagerrated attempts at driving. he was playing for the camera. once he decided he wasnt really a fan of the car, he made the film about the dichotomy of how one company can hit and miss with sports cars (in his opinion). its not really fair...especially considering how he wouldnt even drive the LFA when it was first on TG.
Old 03-02-15, 09:31 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrRick
sliding into the grass was schtick. as was most of the exagerrated attempts at driving. he was playing for the camera. once he decided he wasnt really a fan of the car, he made the film about the dichotomy of how one company can hit and miss with sports cars (in his opinion). its not really fair...especially considering how he wouldnt even drive the LFA when it was first on TG.
^^^^This.

Anyone who bought into this anti-Lexus commercial is incredibly gullible and naïve.

Clarkson acted like an unbearable buffoon.

Last edited by ISF001; 03-02-15 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: RC-F in Top Gear [22x06] March 1st