RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Test drive done, please help me out by giving your feedback.

Old 02-10-15, 01:25 AM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drive done, please help me out by giving your feedback.

Update:

I went to the dealer again and asked to drive the RC-F once more. This time I immediately switched to Sport+ and traction off, and it was showing "Expert mode"

0-100kph time was 4.5s with a passenger, so everything is good. I did a couple WOT 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, WOW, what a difference compared to Sport and traction ON. The lack of power I was describing earlier was completely gone!

However, while the RC-F doesn't feel fast, it is actually deceptively fast, in my first launch I remember going through 2 gears and when I looked up I was already going 120kph, the second time I paid more attention to the speed and let the beeping guide the shift and took the time with my phone.

Everything about this car is superb, the noise, the handling, the interior!!! I can't wait until the end of the month for the deliver, it's a White/Red TVD. So excited

--------------------------------------------------

original post

Hi all,

Today I test drove a RC-F with TVD. It feels great driving it but there is something bugging me so I'm asking you guys for your opinions. I kind of asked this in another thread but I wanted to make sure because I'm making a very important purchase! Sorry if you see this twice.

The RC-F I drove does not provide that immediate kick when you go WOT, like my previous 370Z (NA) and a Mitsubishi Evos (with around 400hp), or even the M4. It does however give you a constant acceleration feeling and when you look at the dash you're already going at 100mph+, but because it doesn't feel quick, you don't realize how fast you're accelerating.

I wonder if this is how the car supposed to be, it accelerates smoothly in all gears, is not that it has a delay or something, but compared to other sports card I've driven that provides full power the second you plant your foot and throws you back to the seat, in the case of the RC-F it does that rather progressively without the "punch".

I couldn't take the 0-60 time, but somehow it doesn't feel like it will do 4.5s.

Has this been your experience with the RC-F and how well do you like it compared to other cars?

BTW I was in Sport, I should have tested in Sport+ instead. Does it make a huge difference?

Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry if I couldn't express myself clearly, English is not my native language.

Last edited by rcf15; 02-14-15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 05:53 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go back and drive it again in sport +

Good luck.
Old 02-10-15, 08:53 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Felt fast to me and on par with M4.
It should def be faster than a 370z.

Maybe try a GTR or Hellcat - those cars def will snap u back in the seat.
Old 02-10-15, 09:17 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I had opposite experience maybe because I was in S+ mode. It lurches so much in S+ it's night and day but M4 felt very slow, I pushed the pedal hard and it just won't go. But M4 was not in Sport mode.
I think you need to test drive again in S/S+.
Old 02-10-15, 09:22 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to drive the car in sport+ mode. IMO the overall responsiveness of the car kicks in another notch.
Old 02-10-15, 12:09 PM
RetroGamerJP
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely drive in Sport+ ... however, it will never really have that snap your neck back feel that you get with turbo acceleration.

Coming from a GT-R I can tell you it is nearly impossible to beat the sensation of that AWD turbo 0-60 BUT the RC-F is a more comfortable daily driver for sure and while it's not the fastest car on the road is it a very well rounded Luxury Sports car. I only drive it in Sport+
Old 02-10-15, 08:43 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to add that (quite possibly) you testing the a car that has not gone through the "break in" period also affects your acceleration. When I first got my is350 it felt sluggish. But now I feel acceleration has improved immensely.
Old 02-10-15, 10:51 PM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

So definitely the sport +improves a lot the engine response right? I will make sure to test drive again and try to take 0-60 time before I sign the papers.

About the break in, the car has only 35 miles on the odo, so it makes sense.

Thanks everyone! If everything goes well, I'll be having this car by the end of the month!
Old 02-10-15, 10:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf15
So definitely the sport +improves a lot the engine response right? I will make sure to test drive again and try to take 0-60 time before I sign the papers.

About the break in, the car has only 35 miles on the odo, so it makes sense.

Thanks everyone! If everything goes well, I'll be having this car by the end of the month!
You still would not get a sense of the proper acceleration until a few thousand miles are on the ODO. Essentially, you are driving unbroken in car, which in all likelihood have ECU restraining the power. You might have to make a leap of faith knowing it has 467 HP and even with 3960 lbs of weight, it would comfortably be a lot faster than your previous 370Z.
Old 02-10-15, 11:15 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Traction control

I prefer to drive in Sport mode (not Sport+) because Sport+ really makes the suspension too firm for normal driving. Sport+ also firms up the steering. Both the suspension and steering in Sport+ mode work great at high speed but are not so great for daily driving and parking.

I also felt like the car was not launching off the line like I expected until I finally noticed the other day that the traction control light was coming on briefly when I would punch it and it feels like it cuts power to the wheels. If you turn off traction control with one quick press it seems like you get a little better launch but it just kicks in a little later. If you really want to feel this thing take off you need to set the drive mode to Expert mode. To do this just put it in Sport+ mode and tap the traction control button until digital dash display shows the word Expert next to the Sport+ indicator. I don't think this is in the manual, but I saw a YouTube video that also talks about the super secret mode where you do all the same stuff but hold down traction control for 10 seconds-it still says Expert mode but the traction control lights change. It's a little faster without the traction control trying to slow you down
Old 02-10-15, 11:33 PM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by buckse
Sport+ really makes the suspension too firm for normal driving.
Does this apply even with regular non-adjustable suspension? My RC-F does not have anything above the strut, just a hollow brace mount.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You still would not get a sense of the proper acceleration until a few thousand miles are on the ODO. Essentially, you are driving unbroken in car, which in all likelihood have ECU restraining the power. You might have to make a leap of faith knowing it has 467 HP and even with 3960 lbs of weight, it would comfortably be a lot faster than your previous 370Z.
Glad to know that! the 370Z (7AT) is 700lb lighter than the RC-F and it gives that immediate response from 2nd gear up, partly because it has no luxury at all and the transmission locks up hard, my best 1/4 time was 13.6, 1 Sec slower than the RC-F?

I will get some couple thousand miles to the RC-F and see how the performance evolves with time.

Last edited by rcf15; 02-10-15 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 05:16 AM
HoustonTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's also the difference in torque....the RC F has less torque, and at a higher rpm - especially compared to the M4
Old 02-11-15, 08:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HoustonTX
It's also the difference in torque....the RC F has less torque, and at a higher rpm - especially compared to the M4
He is talking about throttle response and the immediacy in how the car reacts to the driver's inputs. In both cases, RC-F has a much superior and consistent throttle response because of its N/A engine and a much more linear pull to redline. He just has not been able to experience the full-on response of the N/A V8, which by most reviewer's accounts is very quick and predictable.

The M4 makes more midrange and low end torque, but throttle response is a different story. Lexus gave RC-F rather tall gearing in lower gears otherwise, it could easily feel a lot more "torquey" in the midrange with shorter gearing/final drive.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-11-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 11:22 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Do all lexus vehicles have an ECU that restrains power for the first couple thousand miles? If so...is there a percentage of power that it restrains? Wouldn't it be simpler to just limit the RPMs available until those thousand miles are up? Just seems like it could be a turn-off to potential customers...like the OP...that don't read CL to know that there is basically a valet switch engaged until a predetermined mileage is reached.
Old 02-11-15, 11:35 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have no proof. Just read from a lot of people who own 3IS, RC etc or Lexus in general, that the car completely changes character after a few thousand miles.

Here is one thread where the owner was "disappointed" in the 3IS initially for lacking power. The Lexus LFA had a reduced rev limiter for the first few hundred miles at 7500 rpm. After which, it went up to the full 9500 rpm, but Lexus never put such a mechanism in any other car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-break-in.html

Originally Posted by DrRick
Do all lexus vehicles have an ECU that restrains power for the first couple thousand miles? If so...is there a percentage of power that it restrains? Wouldn't it be simpler to just limit the RPMs available until those thousand miles are up? Just seems like it could be a turn-off to potential customers...like the OP...that don't read CL to know that there is basically a valet switch engaged until a predetermined mileage is reached.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drive done, please help me out by giving your feedback.