RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

What does Sport+ do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 11:46 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What does Sport+ do?

I think we are at a uniform consensus that the RCF does not have adjustable suspension... Anyone know what sport+ does? Just steering response since regular sport already adjusts the throttle response?

I'm just trying to understand because the GSF has interested me and its setup should be near identical for the RCF.

Any owners want to chime in? I test drove one the other day and for sure thought I felt a difference in comfort when I switched back to normal from Sport+.... Maybe I was wrong.

Is Lexus inaccurate with the RCF on the website?

"Drive Mode Select enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with a simple turn of the switch. Sport mode alters the powertrain for more dynamic throttle response while Sport S+ mode adds steering and suspension system enhancements to help provide a higher level of responsiveness. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency."
Old 01-13-15, 12:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Tightens the steering, sharper throttle response and if I'm not mistaken, something with the brakes/traction

The following users liked this post:
Marie6839 (04-07-24)
Old 01-13-15, 12:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ Bingo...!!!

Also, also you to enter "Expert Mode" if you have optional TVD

~ Joe Z
Old 01-13-15, 12:41 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY
I think we are at a uniform consensus that the RCF does not have adjustable suspension... Anyone know what sport+ does? Just steering response since regular sport already adjusts the throttle response?

I'm just trying to understand because the GSF has interested me and its setup should be near identical for the RCF.

Any owners want to chime in? I test drove one the other day and for sure thought I felt a difference in comfort when I switched back to normal from Sport+.... Maybe I was wrong.

Is Lexus inaccurate with the RCF on the website?

"Drive Mode Select enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with a simple turn of the switch. Sport mode alters the powertrain for more dynamic throttle response while Sport S+ mode adds steering and suspension system enhancements to help provide a higher level of responsiveness. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency."
XpediencY,

Page 280 of the manual says
>RCF
SPORT S+ mode
Provides earlier downshift timing than SPORT S mode in order to maintain
a high engine speed and provides faster gear changes. This mode also
changes the steering feel and VDIM control, making it suitable for powerful sporty driving.

But a earlier page 279 for the
> RC350
SPORT S+ mode
Helps to ensure steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the transmission and engine. Suitable for sportier driving.

The above text is in the doc at thus link:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-05.pdf

Here is the index to the user manual:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/submit-owners-manual-search?section=om&keywords=%22sports%2B%22&searchType=0&model=RC+F&year=2015&x=38&y=12#
Old 01-13-15, 01:07 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get to expert mode?
Old 01-13-15, 01:21 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, thanks for the cited clarification... Lexus Marketing really needs to get on the ball...

Originally Posted by rjmalm
XpediencY,

Page 280 of the manual says
>RCF
SPORT S+ mode
Provides earlier downshift timing than SPORT S mode in order to maintain
a high engine speed and provides faster gear changes. This mode also
changes the steering feel and VDIM control, making it suitable for powerful sporty driving.

But a earlier page 279 for the
> RC350
SPORT S+ mode
Helps to ensure steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the transmission and engine. Suitable for sportier driving.

The above text is in the doc at thus link:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-05.pdf

Here is the index to the user manual:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/submit-owners-manual-search?section=om&keywords=%22sports%2B%22&searchType=0&model=RC+F&year=2015&x=38&y=12#
Old 01-13-15, 01:21 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
You push down the track control button for a couple of seconds and expert engages. When engaged, you have much more freedom with the car while the systems still prevents you from spinning around or loosing control.
Old 01-13-15, 01:25 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
You have to put in the code:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

Actually, I think you have to turn VSC off while in Sport+ mode (according to this link):

http://newsroom.toyota.eu/print.do;j...B7728?&id=4151
Old 01-13-15, 02:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

^^ Another great explanation...

RC F in SPORT S+ mode

SPORT S+ mode builds on these sports driving benefits by performing quicker downshifts than SPORT S and by consistently holding the engine at higher speeds. In addition, SPORT S+ automatically adjusts the weighting of the Electric Power Steering (EPS) to better suit circuit driving conditions, and activates the new SPORT mode within the RC F’s VDIM system.

SPORT S+ mode features a bar-type tachometer display to make engine speed instantly readable during performance driving. In addition to vehicle speed and shift position, the center meter display also shows water and oil temperatures.

I forgot to mention it also engages "Active Sound Control"

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-13-15 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 02:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISF001
You push down the track control button for a couple of seconds and expert engages. When engaged, you have much more freedom with the car while the systems still prevents you from spinning around or loosing control.
Sounds like "Expert Mode" is available in both TVD and Non-TVD applications ??

~ Joe Z
Old 01-13-15, 03:39 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Sounds like "Expert Mode" is available in both TVD and Non-TVD applications ??

~ Joe Z
Non TVD here, to enable expert, switch to Sport + mode and the the trac off button and expert will show up.
Old 01-13-15, 04:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IS350S
Non TVD here, to enable expert, switch to Sport + mode and the the trac off button and expert will show up.
Excellent..!!!

And Congrats

~ Joe Z
Old 01-13-15, 08:20 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY
Ah, thanks for the cited clarification... Lexus Marketing really needs to get on the ball...
RC F-Sport = has adaptive variable suspension

RC F = does not
Old 01-14-15, 10:52 AM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Sport+ = Driving Bliss

Sport+ in manual transmission mode makes for driving bliss... that's a summary of what it does!

Here are the details that i have observed while driving in S+ mode for 4000 KM so far:
  • Increases steering effort (I call it the "force feedback" motor, and it makes it slightly harder to turn the wheel)
  • (Unconfirmed) Increases steering sensitivity
  • I felt that i had to turn the steering less than i would have if I was in normal mode)
  • Rev Matched downshifts (i think this is active all the time, its just that in normal mode - shifting is not that aggressive to be noticed
  • Exhaust sounds deeper ...like a beast is awakened from within
  • Not sure how this is accomplished, whether through the sound system, or by variable exhaust valves..? Don't really care as long as its an authentic sound of the NA V8 + Exhaust...i love the sound and that's why i primarily keep it in Sport+
  • You can open the windows and hear it too!
  • Hold RPM at a higher cruising RPM compared to normal-mode cruising RPM
  • This may contribute to the deeper idle / cruise exhaust sound.
  • Aggressive use of intake "volumizer" (don't know what to call it)
  • If you keep the hood open, and have your girlfriend push the gas while in S+ mode, you will see a flap open and close above the air intake (bottom left).
  • I would assume this flap helps the engine breathe the air in better by bypassing the filter..? I could be wrong.. it may serve another purpose.
  • Transmission is more aggressive with regards to the time it takes to shift (your head will jerk at times during high RPM shifts)

• In automatic transmission:
  • "Optimal" gears for conditions are adjusted / (maintains optimal gear for the speed and other driving variables - and for quick acceleration via downshift if necessary)
  • Sometimes the system holds the gear for longer than I would like, and end up putting the car in manual and shifting up myself.
  • Modifications do not include any Suspension-related Changes - they are as stiff as they are in normal mode. Yay! Careful of side-to-side neck whiplash when going over bumpy roads at 10-15 km/h.

Takes these with a grain of salt, as they could be different from the implementation of the manufacturer. I have only described what i have observed.

Also...I love my car!
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (04-07-24)
Old 01-14-15, 11:28 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See post #9 above for the diifference in sounds you're hearing. Not all authentic, but looks like it serves its purpose very well.

Great write up...

Quick Reply: What does Sport+ do?