RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Active Wing Stuck / Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 09:26 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more for the active rear wing being stuck.

Just hit 1000 miles.
Old 03-23-15, 01:02 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus Master Tech here,
The rear wing sticking is a known issue, and should be addressed shortly by a TSB. Until then, dealers are told to uninstall the wing, bring it to the rest position and re-initialized the system. Hopefully an updated part will be coming out soon.
I wondered if we would see issues with the speed activated wing the early RC Fs when I first got mine and realized it had one. This was a fairly common issue on the Porsche 996 twin turbos when it first came out in 2001. My 01and 04 all had failures with the speed activated wing and the repair for that, if I recall correctly, was replacement of a very expensive instrument cluster.

Too funny that such an innocuous part can be problematic on high end sports cars. This was about the only problem I ever had on 4 different Porsche turbos between 2001 and 2011.

NotaDood, can you share the cause of the problem (mechanical, software for speed activation, or . . .)?
Old 03-23-15, 10:06 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
One more for the active rear wing being stuck.

Just hit 1000 miles.
I presume you have already tried holding the button for 4 seconds to see if it will close.

Let us know what the fix ultimately is.
Old 03-23-15, 02:45 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
I presume you have already tried holding the button for 4 seconds to see if it will close.

Let us know what the fix ultimately is.
Yes, I've done what previous posters have tried to no avail. Mine doesn't even have the light go out at any point. Maybe I should try it at highway cruise speeds above 50 mph.
Old 03-23-15, 06:56 PM
Db750
Driver

Hope lexus can work this issue out in a timely manner
Old 04-03-15, 02:00 PM
6i9
Driver

No one has any news from their dealer?
Old 04-05-15, 04:53 PM
RetroGamerJP
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
My dealer emailed me the other day and let me know that there was a fix for this apparently. Mine has not done it since I first posted... started working after 2 week of being stuck and I have not had an issues since.
Old 04-07-15, 01:53 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wing Fix

Originally Posted by 6i9
Lexus is on it. The wings on virtually all of the RCFs will jam after 500 activations. Why? The current ECU triggers a test at that point, and most of the motors are over-torquing during the test and jamming.

Lexus will soon be issuing an ECU replacement for all of us. In the interim, your technician should be able to reset/initialize the motor for another 500 activations.
Old 04-08-15, 12:14 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just at my dealer inspecting a new RC-F that I am interested in. Parked, the wing was up so I can only assume that this car is demonstrating the problem. Bummer.
Old 04-08-15, 12:25 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an on/off switch on the dash is able to manually raise and lower the wing. In your case, the wing is probably switched in the on position by the dealer.

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I was just at my dealer inspecting a new RC-F that I am interested in. Parked, the wing was up so I can only assume that this car is demonstrating the problem. Bummer.
Old 04-08-15, 12:46 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

My wing was not enabled when I got the car, went to the dealer and in the config using the left button on the steering wheel I think it's system you can enable / disable the wing, after he turned it on it go stuck lol and the button did not do anything. I went into the system again and turned it off and on and now it works fine.

I would try that 1st as it can reset it.

Also if you have the button on when you enable the wing it stays up, I think the systems do not sync very well as if it's off in the dash "green button" and you enable it through the system it works fine, if you enable it on the dash and system it stays up even if I turn ot off in the dash.

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 04-08-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 01:06 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF001
Lexus is on it. The wings on virtually all of the RCFs will jam after 500 activations. Why? The current ECU triggers a test at that point, and most of the motors are over-torquing during the test and jamming.

Lexus will soon be issuing an ECU replacement for all of us. In the interim, your technician should be able to reset/initialize the motor for another 500 activations.

Why would they replace the ECU when they could just flash it?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-08-15 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 01:46 PM
6i9
Driver

I tried toggling the active wing in the steering wheel menu system, and the wing is still stuck despite pressing the activation button several times.
Old 04-08-15, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Why would they replace the ECU when they could just flash it?
how about being nice to fellow members trying to help out? Most ECUs in your Lexus are not flashable... only few are. ECU for wing is likely very simple. They will just replace the part and thats it. In most cases when it comes to Lexus, they will replace the parts with new one to fix the issue.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-08-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 04:27 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
how about being nice to fellow members trying to help out? Most ECUs in your Lexus are not flashable... only few are. ECU for wing is likely very simple. They will just replace the part and thats it. In most cases when it comes to Lexus, they will replace the parts with new one to fix the issue.
Because Toyota said it's not the ECU it's the wing is a few mills off and gets stuck so it causes it to fail. It has nothing to do with the ECU. Look up the TSB on it

Quick Reply: Active Wing Stuck / Not Functioning