RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Jaguar F-Type Coupe vs RC F

Old 12-20-14, 04:44 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type Coupe vs RC F

I love my RC F and I'm having a blast driving it as my DD since I switched the tires to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 all-season tires.

I'm also thinking of buying the Jaguar F-Type Coupe S as my "special" weekend car.

What, if any, are your opinions about the Jaguar?
Old 12-20-14, 05:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

seems really redundant. For the loaded RCF price you only get a F Type S starting price supercharged V8 with 380 hp. If you want a 2 seater sportscar in this price range as a weekend car, Z06.
Old 12-20-14, 06:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

F-type and RCF are 2 of the best cars I drove this year.

Personally if $$$ is not an issue and backseats are not needed - Ftype for me, hard to beat 550hp.
The RCF is much more usable as a DD.

Since u already have RCF, for a weekend car - I would get something more extreme like GT3, Z06, Viper, AMG GT - all depends on your budget.
Old 12-20-14, 08:49 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't get a Viper or Z06. I got rid of my 2015 C7 when I got the RC F.

I love all 911s but I've had 11 of them and wanted something a different.

The F-Type is just the best looking sports car I've seen in a long time. I'm going to drive the Coupe R and the Coupe S today or Monday and I'll make a decision.

The RC F is an awesome car and will be my DD, so I just want a change of pace for the weekends.
Old 12-20-14, 03:59 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffw12

The F-Type is just the best looking sports car I've seen in a long time. I'm going to drive the Coupe R and the Coupe S today or Monday and I'll make a decision.

The RC F is an awesome car and will be my DD, so I just want a change of pace for the weekends.
I would also consider the Aston Martin Vantage GT V8. What a sweet ride.
Old 12-23-14, 01:59 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What didn't you like about the C7? I was thinking about buying either that or a 911 Cab since I am less enamored with the F-type.
Old 12-23-14, 03:23 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tknx
What didn't you like about the C7? I was thinking about buying either that or a 911 Cab since I am less enamored with the F-type.
The challenge with the C7 will be finding a dealership that really knows how to fix them.
Old 12-23-14, 03:25 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF001
The challenge with the C7 will be finding a dealership that really knows how to fix them.
Hmmm... not sure why that would be difficult? Is the thing that unreliable?

I have never owned a Chevrolet, but I am in the Bay area, so one would hope there would be a good mechanic or two. Precision Motive in Hayward seems to specialize in Corvettes.
Old 12-23-14, 03:56 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tknx
Hmmm... not sure why that would be difficult? Is the thing that unreliable?

I have never owned a Chevrolet, but I am in the Bay area, so one would hope there would be a good mechanic or two. Precision Motive in Hayward seems to specialize in Corvettes.
I can't say it will be unreliable, but judging from the experiences of friends who owned earlier models, the skill level varied substantially among the techs at the dealerships. I do not doubt that there are pockets of skilled techs out there.

Perhaps, the new model will prove to be the best of the lot. All that I have heard about is direct injection issues and motors knocking at around 2,600 miles.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-25-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 05:31 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Yeah, looking around seems like there are some teething problems. I am very wary since I had a 986 Boxster and the IMS issue was completely under the radar but is destroying pretty much of all of them.
Old 12-23-14, 07:30 PM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

The Vette was a great sports car. Just not meant for guys who are 6'3" and 250 lbs.

The entry and exit were a gymnastics event and actually was causing me back and knee pain.

A lot of bigger folks have complained about the "shrinking of the C7 interior compared to C6 or C5 cars.

On a side note, I drove the F-type Coupe R as well as S. Wow, they are flipping fast and very loud. I actually really liked the car. But at the end of the day, I bought a XKR -S instead. Last year of them and they absolutely have got it right. Not as nimble as the F-Type, but even after 9 years on the market, it still looks better and drives great. The infotainment sucks (NAV and no streaming music) but the car feels just so right.

The F-Type is very cramped for big guys somewhat like the C7.
Old 12-24-14, 07:22 PM
tknx
Pole Position

The Vette was a great sports car. Just not meant for guys who are 6'3" and 250 lbs.

The entry and exit were a gymnastics event and actually was causing me back and knee pain.

A lot of bigger folks have complained about the "shrinking of the C7 interior compared to C6 or C5 cars.

On a side note, I drove the F-type Coupe R as well as S. Wow, they are flipping fast and very loud. I actually really liked the car. But at the end of the day, I bought a XKR -S instead. Last year of them and they absolutely have got it right. Not as nimble as the F-Type, but even after 9 years on the market, it still looks better and drives great. The infotainment sucks (NAV and no streaming music) but the car feels just so right.

The F-Type is very cramped for big guys somewhat like the C7.
Just go to a top installer and have them re-do the infotainment.
Old 04-18-15, 03:38 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my RC F and I'm having a blast driving it as my DD since I switched the tires to the Pilot Sport A/S 3 all-season tires.

I'm also thinking of buying the Jaguar F-Type Coupe S as my "special" weekend car.

What, if any, are your opinions about the Jaguar?
you are in the same mindset with me.
I assume you bought the RCF since Lexus doesn't do lease special on it.

The F-type could be lease and they have a low mileage program (5000/year) too like Porsche.
For me personally, leasing the F-type is okay, and manual V6 S is the sweet spot for me, but I don't trust them enough to buy. For me the makes I will not buy, no matter how "good" the cars are: Jaguar/ Land Rover and Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge. I am even possibly willing to take chances on VW and Audi for purchase, but really not those aforementioned makes.
Old 04-18-15, 07:13 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
seems really redundant. For the loaded RCF price you only get a F Type S starting price supercharged V8 with 380 hp. If you want a 2 seater sportscar in this price range as a weekend car, Z06.
though i really like the NEW Vette they're on EVERY Corner & you see 60 yr. old Women driving them! Lol! Like everyone else said, depending on your Budget (on the Cheap get you a Hellcat & on the lil' more pricey side get you the New Viper, you Don't see these on Every Corner & i Promise you you WON'T see a 60 yr. old Woman driving one)! GL but a Jag NO WAY!
Old 04-18-15, 07:17 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
you are in the same mindset with me.
I assume you bought the RCF since Lexus doesn't do lease special on it.

The F-type could be lease and they have a low mileage program (5000/year) too like Porsche.
For me personally, leasing the F-type is okay, and manual V6 S is the sweet spot for me, but I don't trust them enough to buy. For me the makes I will not buy, no matter how "good" the cars are: Jaguar/ Land Rover and Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge. I am even possibly willing to take chances on VW and Audi for purchase, but really not those aforementioned makes.
What do you mean Lexus doesn't do lease Special on it?