RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How's the audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 01:59 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyLexFAM
Did you go looking for a thread that trashes on the ML system? Here is the first one I found:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-levinson.html

A little different perspective. Sometimes I wonder if people subscribe from other manufacturers just to try and trash the competition.
Yes, I agree. Sometimes people from competing manufacturers do that on purpose to defame Lexus. It is also true sometimes the Lexus people try to defend at all costs, even if not true, the companies products. Unfortunately, some people who read these kinda posts tend to believe that. I always say whoever asks me about ML - go and listen yourself and compare ML to other systems (such as B&O, Burmester etc). Your ears wont lie to you. As for me, I stated my honest opinion with respect to ML in 3IS. The thing is I am not the only one who has this opinion my friend. ML in 3IS is a mediocre system, period. Perhaps RCF has a better one - I have no opinion on that. All I can do is to judge RCF's ML by what I have in my 3IS. Sorry If my views do not always praise Toyota/Lexus. I just speak my mind and I believe there is nothing wrong with that, now is it?
Old 12-12-14, 03:39 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Yes, I agree. Sometimes people from competing manufacturers do that on purpose to defame Lexus. It is also true sometimes the Lexus people try to defend at all costs, even if not true, the companies products. Unfortunately, some people who read these kinda posts tend to believe that. I always say whoever asks me about ML - go and listen yourself and compare ML to other systems (such as B&O, Burmester etc). Your ears wont lie to you. As for me, I stated my honest opinion with respect to ML in 3IS. The thing is I am not the only one who has this opinion my friend. ML in 3IS is a mediocre system, period. Perhaps RCF has a better one - I have no opinion on that. All I can do is to judge RCF's ML by what I have in my 3IS. Sorry If my views do not always praise Toyota/Lexus. I just speak my mind and I believe there is nothing wrong with that, now is it?
We have the exact same vehicle, with the exact same ML system, and polar opposite opinions of the sound. We will have to agree to disagree.

You use terms such as mediocre and it doesn't live up to the hype. What is it that you dislike? In comparing the system to the standard Lexus IS system from 2012, a 2014 JL Audio setup in an FRS, and a JBL system in the Tacoma, I find the ML system from the 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport to be crisp, detailed, very dynamic, and the tone quality is very pleasing. While their could be a stronger base response, what is does have is very well balanced. I've spent 20 years in the automotive industry, and it is by far the best sound system I have experienced in a vehicle.

Based on my experience, you have to understand that I would be a bit skeptical of anyone who states the system is "mediocre" and "doesn't live up to the hype."
Old 12-12-14, 06:09 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

We have the exact same vehicle, with the exact same ML system, and polar opposite opinions of the sound. We will have to agree to disagree.

You use terms such as mediocre and it doesn't live up to the hype. What is it that you dislike? In comparing the system to the standard Lexus IS system from 2012, a 2014 JL Audio setup in an FRS, and a JBL system in the Tacoma, I find the ML system from the 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport to be crisp, detailed, very dynamic, and the tone quality is very pleasing. While their could be a stronger base response, what is does have is very well balanced. I've spent 20 years in the automotive industry, and it is by far the best sound system I have experienced in a vehicle.

Based on my experience, you have to understand that I would be a bit skeptical of anyone who states the system is "mediocre" and "doesn't live up to the hype."
A valid criticism should not be used as a reason to be skeptical. In fact healthy criticism reinforces the credibility given the fact that no cars are perfect. Very few number of posts (27 in your instance), however, is a good reason for skepticism. Now, giving you benefit of the doubt I am assuming we do have "polar opposite opinions of the sound" so let me be a little bit more clear on why I think ML sounds mediocre. IMHO B&O system represents an example of the best stock premium audio system. Compared that to ML you clearly hear that treble is not crystal clear in ML. Mids are excessively pronounced and the base is not deep and premium in quality but rather more rattly and cheap so sometimes (depending on what your hear) I need to lower the base in order to avoid distorted sound. Also, the rear part of the car gets weaker and even lower quality sound. ML system is very front biased. I try to listen CDs, which as you know feeds the system with the highest quality source of music, and even that does not enhance the quality good enough to call the system premium. Here is my previous post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...m-upgrade.html

Last edited by salvadorik; 12-12-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 08:21 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

A valid criticism should not be used as a reason to be skeptical. In fact healthy criticism reinforces the credibility given the fact that no cars are perfect. Very few number of posts (27 in your instance), however, is a good reason for skepticism. Now, giving you benefit of the doubt I am assuming we do have "polar opposite opinions of the sound" so let me be a little bit more clear on why I think ML sounds mediocre. IMHO B&O system represents an example of the best stock premium audio system. Compared that to ML you clearly hear that treble is not crystal clear in ML. Mids are excessively pronounced and the base is not deep and premium in quality but rather more rattly and cheap so sometimes (depending on what your hear) I need to lower the base in order to avoid distorted sound. Also, the rear part of the car gets weaker and even lower quality sound. ML system is very front biased. I try to listen CDs, which as you know feeds the system with the highest quality source of music, and even that does not enhance the quality good enough to call the system premium. Here is my previous post:

If anyone is interested, do a Google search on B&O vs Mark Levinson.
Old 12-12-14, 10:26 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default disappointed with stock sound system

First of all, let me say that in my experience, musical tastes are very subjective, so you should try to get to a dealer and listen to it yourself and make your own decision. That being said, I picked up my RC-F last weekend off the showroom floor. It came with the stock radio and I've had about a week to live with it. Honestly, I'm very disappointed with the stock sound system. The stock speakers are very flat, the bass is kind of boomy, and all of the sound seems like its coming out of the front dash. I tried the radio, CD, satellite, and bluetooth audio, as well as adjusting the EQ, fade and balance adjustments with minimal success.

If you just like a little light background music while driving to balance out the road noise you will probably be OK. If you are going to mostly listen to talk radio or classical music you will probably be OK. But, if you really enjoy listening to rock, pop, or rap music, you will probably NOT be happy with the stock sound system. Don't ask me about Country because I don't think that qualifies as music

I normally stick with the stock radio systems in my cars and have found over the years that my ears normally adjust to a new stereo after a few days, but after a week in this car, all I can say is I'm still disappointed. I enjoy LISTENING to music--I'm not a crazy bass head, but I do enjoy good stereo imaging, I want to hear all of the details in the music, and I want good bass response at normal volumes, not this muddy, boomy, un-balanced mess. I expected better for a car at this price.

My dealer had another RC-F that the president of the dealership was driving and it had the ML system--I got to take that one for a spin and I can definitely say it sounded a little better than the stock system but its hard to say how much better without spending a little more time with it. The ML speakers seemed to be a little bit more dynamic and lively, and the sound seemed a little more enveloping. The ML bass might have been a little better as well but it was nothing to write home about.

The stock system has a basic 3-band EQ that lets you adjust bass, mid-range, and treble on each input and there are a few DSP settings (one will auto-adjust the volume as the speed goes up and the other is a surround sound mode that helps a little bit). A couple times I thought I had managed to tweak a little better sound out of the system while sitting still, but once you get moving, the speakers seem to be competing against the road noise. The road noise is not really that bad, its just a frequency/phase thing or something. I can hear the sound but I'm not able to really enjoy the music.

As a matter of fact I stopped by a local car stereo shop tonight on the way home and I am now planning on adding a new amp, new speakers, and a new sub-woofer. I got the install scheduled for next weekend.
Old 12-15-14, 06:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if youre getting a car like this, might as well get ML
Old 12-15-14, 11:49 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 ISF with the ML sound system, and it's a mediocre system. I do not listen to bass thumping rap music, and prefer rock.

The bass response from the ML system is lacking. Try listening to "Dire Straits Money for Nothing", or "Van Halens Hot for Teacher" and you will know what you are missing,

I took my car back to the dealer to have it inspected because I thought the sub woofer was not connected or something. I was told, works as designed, there is nothing wrong with the sound system. I came from 2007 IS350 with a stock radio and it sounded better. I also have a 2013 RX350 with stock radio and it sounds better.

Yes, we all have different preferences in music, but in my humble opinion the ML sound system is not worth the money for performance, and does not live up to its reputation.

Last edited by darkoozy; 12-15-14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 05:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I did the ML on mine when I ordered it, have not heard it yet but for 1k+- and not having to cut into my car it was worth it. I think I posted a thread here as well about if it's worth it.
I have the ML in my IS F and I ordered it in my RC F.

I am an audiophile, and I believe the ML substantially improves the listening experience. Could I live with the standard Lexus audio system? Absolutely.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-15-14 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 05:36 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I have a 2012 ISF with the ML sound system, and it's a mediocre system. I do not listen to bass thumping rap music, and prefer rock.

The bass response from the ML system is lacking. Try listening to "Dire Straits Money for Nothing", or "Van Halens Hot for Teacher" and you will know what you are missing,

I took my car back to the dealer to have it inspected because I thought the sub woofer was not connected or something. I was told, works as designed, there is nothing wrong with the sound system. I came from 2007 IS350 with a stock radio and it sounded better. I also have a 2013 RX350 with stock radio and it sounds better.

Yes, we all have different preferences in music, but in my humble opinion the ML sound system is not worth the money for performance, and does not live up to its reputation.
If I am spending 72k on a car what is 1100 more for something BETTER then stock, I know it's not the best but it's better and 1-2k is not a big deal.

Also the RCF has a 10inch sub, I am sure you can change that out and add an amp just to power that if you want more base.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/images/we...dio-system.jpg

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 12-15-14 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 12:49 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Sound System

Spent another 100 miles of seat time yesterday in my new RCF (200 miles so far) spent most of this ride with the sound system on - did get the ML system and I am very happy with it - it seems it is quite an improvement over the ML system in my 08 ISF - the HD radio is great as long as you are in a good reception area.
Old 12-28-14, 01:57 PM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked the audio system in the RC F even it did not come with the ML option. It is far better than my 07' GS with the ML.
Old 12-28-14, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It really depends on the person and the car (and the car's acoustics). The B&O system in my '11 Audi S5 didn't even approach the sound quality of the ML system in my '13 GS. The ML system in my GS is the best I've heard in the many cars I've owned. If the ML system in the RC is anywhere close it should be outstanding.
Old 12-30-14, 04:50 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Did you go looking for a thread that trashes on the ML system? Here is the first one I found:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-levinson.html

A little different perspective. Sometimes I wonder if people subscribe from other manufacturers just to try and trash the competition.
Mark Levinson is synonymous with the perfect "reproduction" of original recordings.

Those who want to drastically alter what the artists intended would be better served to save their money on the ML. That is what ML is all about and they do it quite well, IMO.

Their equipment is a "reference" standard for the industry. They do not make boomboxes.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-30-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 11:28 PM
yessir22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF001
Mark Levinson is synonymous with the perfect "reproduction" of original recordings.

Those who want to drastically alter what the artists intended would be better served to save their money on the ML. That is what ML is all about and they do it quite well, IMO.

Their equipment is a "reference" standard for the industry. They do not make boomboxes.
You are implying ML intends to reproduce the original sound of the recording. Explain how a muffled, dull, bass-lacking replication of a song accomplishes this task. Compare it to systems of similar vehicles and return to this thread unbiased. Leave your proud "CFO" or whatever title out of the thread.

I am an audiophile as well and I absolutely love the RC F, but I do not kid myself. Yes, I did log in for the sole purpose of calling out your bias. Please stop misinforming others. The system is great but not necessarily on the level of the competition. I will concede to you though, to each their own and if you are happy, great! I would be also.

Last edited by rominl; 01-06-15 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 09:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yessir22
You are implying ML intends to reproduce the original sound of the recording. Explain how a muffled, dull, bass-lacking replication of a song accomplishes this task. Compare it to systems of similar vehicles and return to this thread unbiased. Leave your proud "CFO" or whatever title out of the thread.

I am an audiophile as well and I absolutely love the RC F, but I do not kid myself. Yes, I did log in for the sole purpose of calling out your bias. Please stop misinforming others. The system is great but not necessarily on the level of the competition. I will concede to you though, to each their own and if you are happy, great! I would be also.
For the benefit of those who would like facts on this manufacturer, Mark Levinson has won "Reference" designations for their monaural amplifiers more than once.

The reproduction quality of the ML system is designed to provide a listening experience that was intended by the recording artist.

The RC F is not a concert hall, but the sound reproduction should be quite sufficient with the ML.

You can read about the application of the ML in the RC F here. For the audiophiles in the group, notice the ML system only has a 0.1% THD (20-20,000hz).

http://www.marklevinson.com/mark-levinson-in-lexus.html

Last edited by rominl; 01-06-15 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: How's the audio system?