Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.9 is typo.
Old 12-05-14, 03:53 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
3.9 is typo.
I am sorry, but based on this brief response, you need to open your eyes and read the R&T validated responses. The editors are not idiots. I had exchanges with three of the individuals involved with PCOTY testing at Road & Track...including the test driver.

If you are a bimmer fan, understand that Lexus has caught up and in many regards surpassed the M4.

And it's about time.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-05-14 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 04:06 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrRick
coulda sworn i thanked him for his effort. what axe would i have to grind? im a lexus fan. have been for well over 2 decades. that doesnt make me a blind fanboi...

look at my posts and tell me where what i have said is outta bounds. does he not defend EVERY perceived slight against the car?

in the end...its whatever. im happy he's happy about his purchase. but does that mean i cant ask questions when he speaks in hyperbole? coulda sworn this was a message board with people who have differing opinions...
DrRick--You did. EVERYONE...relax!

There is a series of mistakes Lexus made with this launch. I understand the reason for handing over detuned cars to a fleet of editors (a fact)--many of whom love cars but are not accustomed to driving powerful machines.

Road & Track and AMCI Testing results are validate--they are NOT definitive--but valid. Yet, they show what the production CARBON TVD RC-F car can do in the right environment and with the right driver. This was not the torsen.

I was hopeful but suspicious about the ability of the car to repeat the 3.9. Sooo....I went back to the test driver, again, and asked how easily was he able to duplicate the run. This is the verbatim response:

"Oh yeah, ISF001. It's really no sweat, sounds great too!"
They were all stand still runs.

We have not seen a lot of the runs with the CARBON TVD. It obviously gets up and goes.

Those who are moving into the driver's seat will no doubt enjoy the car. Report back on performance and your driving experiences. Those who are not--enjoy your preference in cars. In the end, the majority of our choices represent the best rides in the world--not a bad thing.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-05-14 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 05:13 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have asked if the 12.7 1/4 mile time was repeatable also and if a 12.7 final time seems odd with a 3.9 0-60 time. Anything I read says it is.

Originally Posted by ISF001
DrRick--You did. EVERYONE...relax!

There is a series of mistakes Lexus made with this launch. I understand the reason for handing over detuned cars to a fleet of editors (a fact)--many of whom love cars but are not accustomed to driving powerful machines.

Road & Track and AMCI Testing results are validate--they are NOT definitive--but valid. Yet, they show what the production CARBON TVD RC-F car can do in the right environment and with the right driver. This was not the torsen.

I was hopeful but suspicious about the ability of the car to repeat the 3.9. Sooo....I went back to the test driver, again, and asked how easily was he able to duplicate the run. This is the verbatim response:

"Oh yeah, ISF001. It's really no sweat, sounds great too!"
They were all stand still runs.

We have not seen a lot of the runs with the CARBON TVD. It obviously gets up and goes.

Those who are moving into the driver's seat will no doubt enjoy the car. Report back on performance and your driving experiences. Those who are not--enjoy your preference in cars. In the end, the majority of our choices represent the best rides in the world--not a bad thing.
Old 12-05-14, 05:30 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ISF concentrated on the 3.9 0-60 time and really didn't acknowledge the 12.7 final time at first. I don't know how he could have missed it, it was right there in the PCOTY testing results. I think he later said he couldn't explain everything with the results.

Originally Posted by DrRick
Is this true? I've only read what ISF001 has said about the 0-60 times. And after reading the response from Road and Track saying that they make one pass that includes the 0-60 and quarter mile times...was that 3.9 accompanied by a 12.7 in the quarter? I honestly never put all of that together... This wasn't somewhat fishy to ISF001?

Lemme guess...the car was detuned for anything past 61 mph? Hahahaha
Old 12-05-14, 07:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I never really cared about corrected time because I'll never achieve it with my driving skill, nor do I care about bragging rights. You can make a correction factor for everything if you really wanted too. I ran a 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, but I can actually get 3.8 if you correct for my 150 lbs overweight body
Old 12-05-14, 07:35 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Interesting...

What's wrong with Lexus fanatic selling/defending Lexus on a Lexus forum? I am sure the people with the RCF would chime in if something is out of line.
Old 12-05-14, 08:38 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I read the methods used and alot of car editors are idiots so I still dont believe a 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.Other car magazines tested the production RCF and still only got a 4.3 0-60. The new ATSV is a hell of alot lighter with more torque and the RCF is doing the same 0-60? I for one dont buy it.But again...Ill agree to disagree.
Old 12-05-14, 09:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

AussieRCF, TimboIS,

Please exit this thread. Continue the personal commentary and you'll lose access to this subforum.

Use the ignore list if you have recurring issues with another member's posts
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-05-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 10:55 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
I read the methods used and alot of car editors are idiots so I still dont believe a 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.Other car magazines tested the production RCF and still only got a 4.3 0-60. The new ATSV is a hell of alot lighter with more torque and the RCF is doing the same 0-60? I for one dont buy it.But again...Ill agree to disagree.
I believe this is the first full production CARBON TVD tested by any of the magazines.

The numbers are real and verified.

The test was run many times. I mentioned that earlier.

I will see what I can unearth on the 12.7 quarter mile time.
Old 12-05-14, 11:52 AM
NickZ
Rookie

I believe this is the first full production CARBON TVD tested by any of the magazines.

The numbers are real and verified.

The test was run many times. I mentioned that earlier.

I will see what I can unearth on the 12.7 quarter mile time.
I agree that people need to chill out a bit, I think it's awesome that ISF001 was able to go back to the guys at Road and Track to get this insight for us.

I opened my Car and Driver test of the RC F, and if you look at the data, the RC F is geared very aggressively in 1st and 2nd gears, and to some extent even 3rd gear. It can only achieve 42 MPH in 1st, 70 in 2nd, and 103 in 3rd where it hasn't even hit the quarter mile yet. This tells me they leveraged the lower gears in the 8 speed for acceleration and track conditions, and then started leveling off the gearing in 4th through 8th for top speed and cruising.

I am in no way an engineer, but it isn't impossible for Lexus to achieve the run we are seeing by aggressively gearing the car in the lower gears and then impacting the quarter mile somewhat by leveling off the gearing to achieve a quiet ride as well as decent EPA numbers.

If it can run a 12.5 in the quarter, that's pretty darn impressive considering it would only be off by about .2 seconds to the M3/M4 which are considerably lighter but probably running the same if not more horsepower than the RC F as the Germans typically underrate their engines.

I'm not saying I'm right here, just my two cents and some additional insight if you will.
Old 12-05-14, 01:00 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickZ
I agree that people need to chill out a bit, I think it's awesome that ISF001 was able to go back to the guys at Road and Track to get this insight for us.

I opened my Car and Driver test of the RC F, and if you look at the data, the RC F is geared very aggressively in 1st and 2nd gears, and to some extent even 3rd gear. It can only achieve 42 MPH in 1st, 70 in 2nd, and 103 in 3rd where it hasn't even hit the quarter mile yet. This tells me they leveraged the lower gears in the 8 speed for acceleration and track conditions, and then started leveling off the gearing in 4th through 8th for top speed and cruising.

I am in no way an engineer, but it isn't impossible for Lexus to achieve the run we are seeing by aggressively gearing the car in the lower gears and then impacting the quarter mile somewhat by leveling off the gearing to achieve a quiet ride as well as decent EPA numbers.

If it can run a 12.5 in the quarter, that's pretty darn impressive considering it would only be off by about .2 seconds to the M3/M4 which are considerably lighter but probably running the same if not more horsepower than the RC F as the Germans typically underrate their engines.

I'm not saying I'm right here, just my two cents and some additional insight if you will.
I just received a response from the test driver on the quarter mile. It basically echoes what you just wrote. I asked about the impact of temperature/environment and if the RC-F is capable of running a 12.3, and this is the response. He did not dispute the car's ability to achieve the 12.5 time published by Lexus. I did not ask how the launches occurred for the quarter mile, if the car was cold, hot, etc.

He wrote this:

"A 12.3 sounds optimistic to me. Perhaps if the engine and transmission are at perfect operating temperature and the launch in pristine.

Also a refinement in calibration in the trans might do it."

Also remember the RC-F ran the Motown Mile only a half second behind the LFA, so the speed is clearly there. We will clearly need to better understand the workings of the RC-F through hands-on experience.
Old 12-05-14, 01:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I never really cared about corrected time because I'll never achieve it with my driving skill, nor do I care about bragging rights. You can make a correction factor for everything if you really wanted too. I ran a 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, but I can actually get 3.8 if you correct for my 150 lbs overweight body
important part here is that they all run together at the same track, same driver, same conditions, right? At least, IMHO.
Old 12-05-14, 03:56 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be good to take a step back and remember the design philosophy behind the RC F

http://youtu.be/-VX6IQGTlKI
Old 12-06-14, 04:46 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Road & Track's PCOTY road test guy contacted me today.
"
Thanks for passing on the quotes.

Do you know what the settings were for TVD and driving mode for the R&T tests, e.g. mode: M or Sport S+, TDV:Standard? and what about VDIM: Expert or off or what?

What did you test drive it in?

Quick Reply: RC-F: Insight into Road & Track's Testing