RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Test Drive on the Back Roads--Much More than the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 02:58 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I know confusing...you are looking at the yellow highlighted manufacturer's estimates in the magazine, which preceded the actual results--"all you need to know."

The 3.9 was released on November 10th.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...he-year-award/

The point is the 3.9 is achievable just as all of the 0-60 times for the cars are "achievable" based on the drivers.

All good...
Yeah, I was kind of caught off guard after reading the article and then seeing what you posted. When I clicked the link I had to do a double take, as I wasn't sure what to believe. Regardless, I'm not chasing a couple tenths of a second, but it would be nice nonetheless to know what to expect from the car. It has more power than most of us would use all out on a daily basis, and can certainly accelerate with some serious force. I never felt that the car was lacking power during the ride and drive event, or after my 45 minute test drive.
Old 12-03-14, 03:48 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
cars already faster than 99.9% of the cars out there, not going to sweat it if i cant beat the 99.99%
amen. funny how everybody gets caught up in 1/10th's. just want a fun car! i'm sure it will be plenty of performance for me at least.
Old 12-03-14, 04:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NewSpace
amen. funny how everybody gets caught up in 1/10th's. just want a fun car! i'm sure it will be plenty of performance for me at least.
More than enough for 99.99 percent of us.
Old 12-03-14, 04:09 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ToyLexFAM
Yes, mine is on order.

I've read the reviews, and only one is claiming a 3.9 0-60. I simply disagree based on the majority of the tests, and calculations do not support the claim. I am not calling anyone a liar.

AWD requires more energy to operate, and most often a RWD setup will run faster 0-60 times. Again, the calculations back this up.

Go to any 1/4 mile or 0-60 calculator, and you will find they are very close to real-world times.

I do not believe a 4,000lb car with 470bhp is capable of running a 3.9 0-60. Calculators back up my belief.

If that particular vehicle ran a 3.9 0-60, then either the car did not weigh 4,000+lbs with driver, it was producing in excess of 550bhp, or someone made a mistake.
I disagree with your assumptions. Again, most media drivers had detuned cars--a fact. If I respect any magazine tests over the years, it's Road & Track. I will personally contact the editor to get the story for you and the club.

The number is documented.

Last edited by ISF001; 12-03-14 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 04:42 PM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, mine is on order.

I've read the reviews, and only one is claiming a 3.9 0-60. I simply disagree based on the majority of the tests, and calculations do not support the claim. I am not calling anyone a liar.

AWD requires more energy to operate, and most often a RWD setup will run faster 0-60 times. Again, the calculations back this up.

Go to any 1/4 mile or 0-60 calculator, and you will find they are very close to real-world times.

I do not believe a 4,000lb car with 470bhp is capable of running a 3.9 0-60. Calculators back up my belief.

If that particular vehicle ran a 3.9 0-60, then either the car did not weigh 4,000+lbs with driver, it was producing in excess of 550bhp, or someone made a mistake.
You just lost all of your credibility with that silly statement. What physics book are we studying here? Nissian GT-R, Bugatti Veyron, etc. Its the exact opposite. A 2WD car in the 2s will be a FEAT, with traction issues just being one component.
Old 12-03-14, 04:51 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF001
I disagree with your assumptions. Again, most media drivers had detuned cars--a fact. If I respect any magazine tests over the years, it's Road & Track. I will personally contact the editor to get the story for you and the club.

The number is documented.
I will be interested to hear the story.

The only claim under 4.0 seconds that I can find for a car that comes in at 8.4lbs per horsepower is this one claim for the RC F. I cannot find any vehicle over 8.0lbs per hp that claims to touch the 3's. You have to understand my skepticism.

Now, if the actual horsepower or weight of the RC F is significantly different from the advertised information, then the possibility does exist.

I will be interested to see more independent confirmations, and as someone stated earlier, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are not a factor in my decision to purchase this vehicle.
Old 12-03-14, 04:54 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
You just lost all of your credibility with that silly statement. What physics book are we studying here? Nissian GT-R, Bugatti Veyron, etc. Its the exact opposite. A 2WD car in the 2s will be a FEAT, with traction issues just being one component.
Please punch the numbers in here: http://www.autosnout.com/0-60-Calculator.php

470hp, 3,958lbs, then select RWD then AWD. It's just one calculator, but you'll see what I am talking about.

If AWD was quicker than RWD, top fuel dragsters would be AWD.
Old 12-03-14, 05:04 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Re3iRtH
A 2WD car in the 2s will be a FEAT, with traction issues just being one component.
I would be careful with that statement, a pre-production Z06 just ran a 3.0 sec 0-60 time on street tires in the latest issue of Car and Driver. As tire compounds continue to evolve, and the systems in vehicles become more and more capable, these super cars will become more and more capable of putting down some insane runs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a production Z06 break into the two's on a good day.
Old 12-03-14, 05:14 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickZ
I would be careful with that statement, a pre-production Z06 just ran a 3.0 sec 0-60 time on street tires in the latest issue of Car and Driver. As tire compounds continue to evolve, and the systems in vehicles become more and more capable, these super cars will become more and more capable of putting down some insane runs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a production Z06 break into the two's on a good day.
Let's not forget gearing... And the driver. 3.9-4.3 is not a stretch for the car.

Again, I want to get more on the testing from the source. I don't know about most of the members, but I am not an automotive engineer.

In the mean time, here is the PCOTY Motown data and comprehensive results. Someone had interest in seeing what I did not present in my post.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...he-motown-mile

Last edited by ISF001; 12-03-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 05:56 PM
sajonf
Driver

Please punch the numbers in here: http://www.autosnout.com/0-60-Calculator.php

470hp, 3,958lbs, then select RWD then AWD. It's just one calculator, but you'll see what I am talking about.

If AWD was quicker than RWD, top fuel dragsters would be AWD.
LOL you are basing facts off of online acceleration calculators instead of real world examples and physics? What fantasy world do you live in? While we are at it we should be able to plug the driver, weather and surface conditions into your fantasy calculator too. I am sure that would really narrow down your scientific approach. Comedy
Old 12-03-14, 06:00 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by NickZ
He said it would be a feat, and IMO the new Z running a flat 3 with the possibility of getting into the 2s is a feat
Old 12-03-14, 06:38 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by sajonf
LOL you are basing facts off of online acceleration calculators instead of real world examples and physics? What fantasy world do you live in? While we are at it we should be able to plug the driver, weather and surface conditions into your fantasy calculator too. I am sure that would really narrow down your scientific approach. Comedy
I do not understand your abrasive tone? I stated that I can find no real-world examples of any vehicle with a ratio of 8.0lbs per horsepower or higher running under a 4.0 0-60 time (with the exception of this one claim). The calculators are nothing more than another piece of supporting evidence.

In time, we will know if the 3.9 0-60 time can be backed up.
Old 12-03-14, 06:55 PM
sajonf
Driver

I do not understand your abrasive tone? I stated that I can find no real-world examples of any vehicle with a ratio of 8.0lbs per horsepower or higher running under a 4.0 0-60 time (with the exception of this one claim). The calculators are nothing more than another piece of supporting evidence.

In time, we will know if the 3.9 0-60 time can be backed up.
I do not understand your fantasy world, you can call that abrasive. I am not doubting your 8.0 lbs per bla bla bla. I am simply stating that you referencing online calculators as factual or "supporting evidence" is ridiculous.. GTR is case in point. Plug in its numbers and you get a 4.11 0-60 time. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. While weight to horsepower ratio are big factors in acceleration times there are many other factors that can affect the outcome
Old 12-03-14, 07:00 PM
kamiraa
Driver School Candidate

If they could get weight down to 3700 lbs and add a bit more hp, this car would dominate the class it's in.

Hopefully they can use the carbon model to take off 100lbs . . . then pull the spare tire and jack to get another 50 lbs down, add an exhaust and the car will be pretty healthy as weekend car
Old 12-03-14, 07:02 PM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by sajonf
I do not understand your fantasy world, you can call that abrasive. I am not doubting your 8.0 lbs per bla bla bla. I am simply stating that you referencing online calculators as factual or "supporting evidence" is ridiculous.. GTR is case in point. Plug in its numbers and you get a 4.11 0-60 time. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. While weight to horsepower ratio are big factors in acceleration times there are many other factors that can affect the outcome
Do you believe this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...sepower-column

Quick Reply: RC F Test Drive on the Back Roads--Much More than the IS F