RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Where to place your cell phone?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 02:28 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Where to place your cell phone?!

I went to see the RC at the dealership this weekend. Putting aside everything wonderful I think about the RC and that I'll most likely pull the trigger on an RC F at some point, WHERE THE HELL DO YOU PUT YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING?

It may sound stupid, but that's always been a big thing for me with cars I have. A place to put my wallet and my cell phone while driving.

In my IS300, you could remove the little cup holder mechanism (or move it towards one side), and you were left with a nice-sized compartment for your wallet and phone (mechanism outlined in red could be removed)

In my IS F, there's not as much room as in the IS300, but the cup holder is big enough to hold my wallet and cell phone (even my iPhone 6 Plus, which I was afraid wouldn't fit)
Or, you could use the ash-tray section, if you remove the ash-tray itself. I don't often use that spot, but it's an option.

Old 11-18-14, 02:40 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put mine on the first cup holder. I find myself trying to find an easy accessible place to put my proximity card for the gate system. I would normally place it in the coin holder on the lower left near the steering wheel in my LX or even in my STI. I ended up placing it in the door pocket and carried on lol. Good thread bro!
Old 11-18-14, 02:49 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still haven't solved this problem in my 3IS
Old 11-18-14, 02:57 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
I put mine on the first cup holder. I find myself trying to find an easy accessible place to put my proximity card for the gate system. I would normally place it in the coin holder on the lower left near the steering wheel in my LX or even in my STI. I ended up placing it in the door pocket and carried on lol. Good thread bro!
Greattttt to get input from the guy with the AMAZING white RC F in Guam
Saw the thread you posted with some pictures. Congrats on the purchase.

Originally Posted by drbazing
I still haven't solved this problem in my 3IS
I forgot to mention that the iPhone 6 Plus doesn't fit in the cupholders of the RC. Not sure about the regular iPhone 6 or any other phones. I imagine the iPhone 5 fits but that phone will soon be old news.
I also forgot to check if there's a place to put the phone in the door of the RC. But even then, that's far from ideal.

I did notice that in the 3rd Gen IS, the space where the joystick goes becomes a nice little compartment if your car doesn't have navigation (I think). It still doesn't fit the iPhone 6 Plus, but it sort of fits it.
Old 11-18-14, 04:43 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

^ LOL Thanks bro!

I believe your iPhone 6 Plus should be able to fit nicely in the armrest, I can snap a pic of the armrest compartment if you need. LMK.
Old 11-18-14, 05:22 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

^ LOL Thanks bro!

I believe your iPhone 6 Plus should be able to fit nicely in the armrest, I can snap a pic of the armrest compartment if you need. LMK.
Yea, you're probably right about it fitting there. But I need quicker and easier access to my phone.
No need for the pictures, but thanks for offering!

How're you liking the RC F so far??
Old 11-18-14, 06:51 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Believe it or not I've thought about the phone placement issue too. There's no good place to put it which is kind of surprising these days but not a real concern in such a drivers car. I'm getting an iPhone 6 plus on Friday and realize it won't fit anywhere convenient. I don't like most aftermarket mounts but there is one that is effectively a little metal magnet that looks like a watch battery so you just pop it onto your dashboard. Truthfully I will toss the phone in the center console under the armrest and just DRIVE.
Old 11-18-14, 07:24 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LO 21
Yea, you're probably right about it fitting there. But I need quicker and easier access to my phone.
No need for the pictures, but thanks for offering!

How're you liking the RC F so far??
For the two times ive driven the car, I cant say I like it all that much... its cause I love it lol! Its garaged cause the weather sucks here on Guam, it rains alot, and I havent put any protection on it, polish/wax. I already need to clay the car cause it has some stuff from shipping.

But overall, I love the car! You have to get behind the wheel of one to truely appreciate the luxury, technology, and power the RCF has to offer

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 11-18-14 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 09:31 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually place it on the passenger seat or just put it in the center arm rest compartment (the tray that is finished in velour)

i have an iphone 6 with no case so won't ever put it on plastic as it will scratch it up.
Old 11-19-14, 08:18 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

For the two times ive driven the car, I cant say I like it all that much... its cause I love it lol! Its garaged cause the weather sucks here on Guam, it rains alot, and I havent put any protection on it, polish/wax. I already need to clay the car cause it has some stuff from shipping.

But overall, I love the car! You have to get behind the wheel of one to truely appreciate the luxury, technology, and power the RCF has to offer
Yea, can't wait to drive one!

I guess I did forgot to ask about the door panel. Is there a place to put your phone/wallet there, or is the handle open? (Meaning, it doesn't have a bottom part and the phone would fall through).

Originally Posted by modthispny
i usually place it on the passenger seat or just put it in the center arm rest compartment (the tray that is finished in velour)

i have an iphone 6 with no case so won't ever put it on plastic as it will scratch it up.
Yea, figured that's what I'll end up doing. I throw it all on the passenger seat in my IS when the cupholder has a cup or whatever else in it.
The felt tray inside the arm rest is also a good idea, but a bit of a PITA if you need to grab the phone.
Old 11-19-14, 08:29 AM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I sometimes place it in the door handle...but then i forget about it when I leave the car. The LED lighting on the doors is a very nice touch!

There should really be a specific / modular place to put the phone, as well as the sunglasses ...especially in this day and age.

Modular, as in, the manufacturer provides you with different holders for the phone with chargers built in (like a dock). This 'module' component will go into the same area of the car near the arm rest or where the climate controls are.
Old 11-19-14, 10:21 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Placing it on the door wouldn't be a bad idea, there are 3 possible places to put your phone/wallet. I place my proximity card in the lower pocket closes to the speaker.
Old 11-19-14, 12:52 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

If your parking pass card is roughly the size and shape of a credit card use the slot in the sunvisor, that's what it is designed for.
Old 11-20-14, 09:30 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You'd think manufactures at this point would put a slit at least in the center console to put your phone in. I agree, the ISF has a perfect spot in the pseudo cup holder in the center console. I've purchased a holder from these guys before: http://www.proclipusa.com/ They usually have some pretty snazzy mounts but not sure if they have anything for the RC yet.
Old 11-21-14, 03:51 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently if you don't get ML or heated/cooled seats, you do get a convenient place to put your phone (just ahead of the gearshift)

See that spot for your phone below CD slot and in front of gearshift?

Quick Reply: Where to place your cell phone?!